Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Monday evening following Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference keynote, Pixar's Michael Johnson hosted a fundraising event for the Cartoon Art Museum in San Francisco, where he serves as a board member.

As noted by The Mac Observer, one particularly interesting part of the event was a display of Steve Jobs' personal NeXTcube, loaned for the event by Pixar.
Speakers this year included Wil Shipley, Andrew Stone, and Dr. "Wave" Johnson, and James Dempsey performed two songs from his catalogue of catchily-written, Objective C-focused tunes.

There was also some NeXT gear on display, and this year that included the NeXT Cube used by Steve Jobs mentioned above. While the folks on hand - many of whom knew and worked closely with Mr. Jobs - might have considered such an artifact old hat, I thought it was very cool and figured many of you would, too.
steve_jobs_nextcube.jpg
The NeXT cube arrived as the NeXT Computer in 1988, with the machine quickly gaining the informal "cube" name due to its design based on a one-foot magnesium cube. The Cube name became official in 1990 with the release of an updated version named NeXTcube.

Article Link: Steve Jobs' Personal NeXTcube Shown at Cartoon Art Museum Fundraiser

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
If this was Steve's personal cube. It very well might have been the first computer to run what we now call "Mac OS X"

You can still get Next Step. It is available for free download. It is pretty much a 1980's version of Mac OS X.

Byrnes3969

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2009
This would have been a more useful design for the new Mac Pro - at least it won't tip over when you plug all the wires into it

Brenster

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Great looking hardware. Appreciated it's appearance alongside Tim Berners Lee during the Olympics opening ceremony last year (at last, something for the geeks at a sports event!)

Great OS as well, as ably demonstrated by Steve. Cool to think I'm typing this on the direct spiritual successor of NeXTSTEP.

----------

If this was Steve's personal cube. It very well might have been the first computer to run what we now call "Mac OS X"

You can still get Next Step. It is available for free download. It is pretty much a 1980's version of Mac OS X.

Is there any emulator or virtualisation software for OSX that NeXTSTEP will run on/in? I owe it to my 20yo self to give it a try :)

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
This would have been a more useful design for the new Mac Pro - at least it won't tip over when you plug all the wires into it

Oh wow, you've already tried the new Mac Pro with every peripheral device plugged in, and you've verified this? :eek:

… or are you just trying to get a few thumbs up for a half-hearted stab at the new MP :rolleyes:

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007

Highly doubt that. The first computer running Mac OS X would have been the computer of one of the developers, not the CEO.

topper24hours

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2012
Oh wow, you've already tried the new Mac Pro with every peripheral device plugged in, and you've verified this? :eek:

… or are you just trying to get a few thumbs up for a half-hearted stab at the new MP :rolleyes:

Lol, right? The new Mac Pro is the hottest piece of hardware I've EVER seen from Apple.. one eighth the volume?! Wow..!! I can't wait to see one. Overboard for my uses, but wow.. really want to play on one at the Apple store.
No matter what your opinion on Apple, or iOS, or the state of the company... this is CLEAR innovation!! And made in the USA?! Hating on this product is asinine. Hope that guy trolls on back home, under his bridge.

Sweetcheetah

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2007
Bellingham, WA
It's probably weighted enough

I'm sure they took weighing it down into consideration when plugging a lot of stuff into the mac pro's cylindrical design so it won't tip over and would have a lower center of gravity. I mean you got smart people in Apple to think about those or I'd be very surprised and think they are dumber than I thought. All I can say is I'd get one as I was planning to get a maxed out mac pro before this new version coming out. So, I'll wait for this one to come out. Now, I can really do some productive media designs and then some.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Lol, right? The new Mac Pro is the hottest piece of hardware I've EVER seen from Apple.. one eighth the volume?! Wow..!! I can't wait to see one. Overboard for my uses, but wow.. really want to play on one at the Apple store.
No matter what your opinion on Apple, or iOS, or the state of the company... this is CLEAR innovation!! And made in the USA?! Hating on this product is asinine. Hope that guy trolls on back home, under his bridge.

Agreed. I'm seriously getting weary of Apple-hating comments on MR. Wake up, people; Apple's quest for smallness and thinness is nothing new. Their disregard for legacy technology is, again, nothing new. Yes, their products are expensive, but I'd argue that expensive≠overpriced. I would justify that comment but I'd end up writing paragraphs on the subject, so ... :p

ShinySteelRobot

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Upper Left Corner, USA
Ironically, the internal expandability of the NeXT Cube was much better than the forthcoming 2013 Mac Pro. The Cube had three free internal NuBus slots, IIRC. And at one foot square (well, one foot cubed) it was smaller than today's Mac Pro. There were actually four slots but the motherboard occupied the first one. You could get a NeXTdimension board to upgrade the system to color, and that would occupy a second slot.

I would have loved if the new Mac Pro was a black cube instead of a black cylinder.

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio

Where is the download for NeXTstep 4.0?!?!?! :eek: :apple:

Sweetcheetah

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2007
Bellingham, WA
Are they PC users?

Agreed. I'm seriously getting weary of Apple-hating comments on MR. Wake up, people; Apple's quest for smallness and thinness is nothing new. Their disregard for legacy technology is, again, nothing new. Yes, their products are expensive, but I'd argue that expensive≠overpriced. I would justify that comment but I'd end up writing paragraphs on the subject, so ... :p

I'm sure I'm going to get it on this one, LOL. I only say that maybe the commenters of apple-haters are PC users? *shrug* That's ok, my IT guy is a PC user and he makes things work when it comes to programming for our web site firm. He's my high school buddy and we run a company together. He makes it work, I make it pretty as a graphic designer. The point I'm making I do often see him waste his time mostly to tinkering things that the PC system is giving him trouble over. He fixes them, but of all the times I see him cursing about something wrong with his windows 7 or 8, I'm just happily designing away straight through. I have to say that Mac has served and helped the success of creativity, enhanced my life style and given me the stress free computing productivity for many years since the injection of OSX. Point, click, and produce. Made me lots of money to afford all the great apple things, i.e. iPod touch, iPad mini, iPhone... Etc. I use everything to the fullest to bring in loads of income. So, buying higher cost computer products mainly the apple products isn't so bad.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.

I'll bite.

The problem is - different users have different needs/preferences. I still use a G5 at home, so I love the fact that the Mac Pro is so tiny by comparison while being orders of magnitude faster. But for others a tiny workstation is about as useful as a massive laptop - it's just not what some people need.

It's great that Apple are being innovative - and I love that Apple are back doing some really clever engineering again - but if it's not something that some users need, innovation counts for nothing to them. An innovative fork is no use, if you're trying to eat soup.

You could say "these users should go elsewhere, buy a PC". But Apple should be grateful to have users like them - these are people who want to buy Apple products (usually, very high-end Apple products) and will ignore other vendors and wait to see what Apple releases. The problem is now, Apple is effectively saying "it's external expansion, or bust", to many people who have a hefty financial investment in internal expansion hardware.

Buying a new Mac Pro - for some - probably would involve a large financial commitment, not just for the Mac Pro but also replacing/changing their internal drives & cards to expensive Thunderbolt options. That makes the Mac Pro a much more expensive upgrade than a 'traditional' Mac Pro upgrade would be. And upgrade paths are very important to pro users - far, far more important than having a small, pretty case.

Personally though, I'd bite your leg off for a new Mac Pro. (No offence! :p )

teejaysplace

macrumors member
May 24, 2006
False

Ironically, the internal expandability of the NeXT Cube was much better than the forthcoming 2013 Mac Pro. The Cube had three free internal NuBus slots, IIRC. And at one foot square (well, one foot cubed) it was smaller than today's Mac Pro. There were actually four slots but the motherboard occupied the first one. You could get a NeXTdimension board to upgrade the system to color, and that would occupy a second slot.

I would have loved if the new Mac Pro was a black cube instead of a black cylinder.

A.) Apple has already done a cube, which I'm sure you know. As nostalgic as their userbase often is, they don't retread old designs.

B.) The main purpose of the cylinder is to facilitiate heat dissipation, which allows for the use of only one fan, thus providing a smaller machine with tighter internals. A cube would not have served this purpose, thus rendering the design moot.

----------

An innovative fork is no use, if you're trying to eat soup.

Ha. Touché.

Byrnes3969

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2009
No matter what your opinion on Apple,m or iOS, or the state of the company... this is CLEAR innovation!! And made in the USA?! Hating on this product is asinine. Hope that guy trolls on back home, under his bridge.

Oh my God you guys are ridiculous. You don't think the next cube - updated to modern standards - with a square shape that can be stacked?! Or lined up?! Would not have blown the tube away??

You're either working for Apple or just a mind-less fanboy

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Is there any emulator or virtualisation software for OSX that NeXTSTEP will run on/in? I owe it to my 20yo self to give it a try :)

You can get NeXTSTEP and Rhapsody running in VMware on OS X.

I'm sure some "ready made" virtual machines of both these OS'es are torrentable. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.