Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
iOS has always had some of the ugliest icons ever. It's one of the most popular reasons people jailbreak their phones (themes). So why is it now such a big deal?

I have never heard so many complaints (or any at all) about default icons in any other OS in history.

"OMG the new Recycle Bin icon in Windows 98 is so ugly!!!!!"

You sound ridiculous.

Seriously, people... let it go. The icons are the least important change of iOS 7. The menus, navigation, fonts, new app designs, lock screen, 3D home screen effect, updated app switcher, no more ugly linen... Everything about iOS 7 is just beautiful so far.

Stop obsessing over screen shots. When you use it, it's gorgeous. It looks very refined. Classy. Modern. Elegant. Awesome.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Because many people love to have something to complain about! This is actually positve thing if you think about it. Icons are the only thing left to complain, lol :D

Last edited:

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
Yeah I can agree... if people are only bitching about the icons, something that doesn't matter at all in how effective the new OS is, then I guess the entire iOS is fantastic..

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Because people love to b**ch. This isn't new of course. I can't remember the last product Apple released where we didn't see post after post here of people hating it. The unibody MacBook Pro announcement thread is a hoot to read now. Everyone complaining about the glossy screens, black chicklet keyboards, price etc. Lots of comments about how Apple has lost it and I won't upgrade, etc. iOS 7 is no different. But it will come out and will be more polished than this beta and millions of iOS users will install it and love it. And the ones that hate it will let everyone know about it here. :D

xyion1

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2007
Some of the new design is iOS7 is absolutely hideous to me. It doesn't really change how I use the device, but man its ugly. How can they give us something so beautiful like the iPhone 5 hardware and follow it up with the this software design?

I don't particularly like any of the new icons, but I would absolutely change: game center, reminders (entire app design & colors), notes (entire app design & colors), camera, music, and mail.

If they made Notes something closer to iAWriter in design it can be flat and minimalist and not horrible. In fact, the Notes app does appear to have some paper like texture behind it but no horizontal lines. Yuck!

So, overall, the new OS is better that iOS 6, I really like command center, spotlight, and even the new look of calendar (just add the dots on days!).

But I don't like the icons, the super thin font especially on the lock screen, signal strength dots, horrible top nav in Mail and Messages (swipe back is nice), and the new icons for bookmarks & share (it feels too "modern" and sterile) and the dots denoting new apps (the banner was way cooler).

I do like the transition between apps, a much shallower "swing".

So, lets hope they continue to tighten it up as the betas progress and refine it in OS 7.1 and onwards. Its a good first shot, but it could be better.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Yup, icons are purely aesthetic, so if this is what you spend all your time complaining about....perhaps that's a good sign that iOS 7 is the best iOS release ever.

Ottoman1

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
Obsessed with quality design

This is Apple. They are known for having beautiful products. They have a long and strong reputation to live up to. Especially if they are changing elements of their products' designs.

These new icons are tacky and poorly executed in my opinion. I am entitled to my opinion - as you are yours.

Since they are opinions, neither of us are right.

Since this is a free-market we are allowed to voice our opinions and vote with our purchases.

I want to keep my iPhone and hope they improve these icons as do MANY other people.

There is nothing wrong with that.

I am not obsessed with icons. I am just encouraging Apple to live up to its high standard of quality design through simple posts on a message board.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
Since this is a free-market we are allowed to voice our opinions and vote with our purchases.

I want to keep my iPhone and hope they improve these icons as do MANY other people.

The sad part is that some poor souls are so upset about the icons that they're stomping their feet and crying that they refuse to update to iOS 7, and even "threaten" to leave iPhone completely and pick up another OS.

Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinions, but some people are just plain ridiculous.

Do people honestly just sit there and stare at their home screens all day?? You should only see your icons for a couple seconds at a time. Just long enough for you to locate the app you want to open (and even then, you usually already know where it is by habit). You don't just sit back and say, "man, that is one awesome icon........"

Especially coming from iOS 6, which had some of the ugliest icons ever (like Safari and Contacts, for example).

People are silly.

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
The sad part is that some poor souls are so upset about the icons that they're stomping their feet and crying that they refuse to update to iOS 7, and even "threaten" to leave iPhone completely and pick up another OS.

Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinions, but some people are just plain ridiculous.

Do people honestly just sit there and stare at their home screens all day?? You should only see your icons for a couple seconds at a time. Just long enough for you to locate the app you want to open (and even then, you usually already know where it is by habit). You don't just sit back and say, "man, that is one awesome icon........"

Especially coming from iOS 6, which had some of the ugliest icons ever (like Safari and Contacts, for example).

People are silly.

When you're paying hundreds of dollars for a device that you use on a daily basis, it helps if the user thinks it's aesthetically pleasing. If the design is no longer pleasing, why wouldn't they go to a Different device that could provide them with what they want?

I for one love ios7 in every way except the icons. Doesn't make it wrong if that we're enough to stop making me upgrade (which I personally will still upgrade, but I have a lot of customers who will not like this update if some things arent changed by launch)

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
At the alternatives section.
icons are splashed all over your home screen.

iOS looks like windows 3.1 back in the day. if they are hideous, it will have a direct impact on how your OS looks.

i think its pretty obvious why people are concerned about icons.

linescreen

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2002
NYC
We care because part of the appeal of apple is that every element is perfectly designed. One of the first things they teach you in design school is that gradients are to be avoided, and should not be a dominant design element. Johnny might be a great industrial designer, but he is no graphic/interface designer as far as I can tell.

Hopefully Tim Cook figures out he needs to put someone else in charge of this task quick.

Even when Steve Jobs left Apple in the mid 80s, Apple did not make design blunders on this level.

http://jonyiveredesignsthings.tumblr.com/

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
For many people icons are the OS...

That being said, I don't see many people switching to Android or Windows because they don't like the pink Music icon on the iPhone.

Majority of people want a $99-$199 phone that doesn't crash, has good battery, good camera and has the apps they use (Facebook, Instagram, Texting, banking, games, photos, music).

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
The more I use iOS 7 the more I couldn't care less about the icons. It's about the content and if I look at iOS 6 now, it's amazing how fat and bloated it looks. There's way more emphasis on the content now and I'm excited about it. Lock screen, incoming call screen, contact sheet.

Yes, the icons could use a little polish but I really don't understand people getting so hung up on this. I almost avoid MacRumors around beta releases because of folks like that. :rolleyes:

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
The icons were never "really" changed from the original design until now. There have been minute changes, but never really anything drastic. The complaints have always been there, but more along the lines of why "didn't" they change them this time around (remember the big complaints when they changed the number of bars that represented the signal?) as people were growing tired of the same old design.

The same could be asked about the "leather" of the calendar app within Mac OS X and why it is such a sore point with the public (Apple even went so far as to make a joke about it and the stitching in the presentation)?

jjlannoo

Suspended
Oct 8, 2011
Some complaining on here don't seem to understand that it's a beta and will be altered and changed for the better or worse over the summer. Apple will be considering all the feedback I'm sure. I'm waiting to see and use the final product before judging too harshly.

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
Apple does not have ugly icons...everyone else does though. The reason people don't like the new fonts is because a lot of people don't like new things but also many people think they are garish and non-descriptive.

iOS has always had some of the ugliest icons ever. It's one of the most popular reasons people jailbreak their phones (themes). So why is it now such a big deal?

I have never heard so many complaints (or any at all) about default icons in any other OS in history.

"OMG the new Recycle Bin icon in Windows 98 is so ugly!!!!!"

You sound ridiculous.

Seriously, people... let it go. The icons are the least important change of iOS 7. The menus, navigation, fonts, new app designs, lock screen, 3D home screen effect, updated app switcher, no more ugly linen... Everything about iOS 7 is just beautiful so far.

Stop obsessing over screen shots. When you use it, it's gorgeous. It looks very refined. Classy. Modern. Elegant. Awesome.

daiichi

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2013
:eek: This thread just made me think! The new home screen is going to be what's on the box of the new iPhones.

107.gif

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
"First world problems."

This happens with any Apple announcement. People whine and moan, spit hate for Apple. Most of it comes from elitist pricks, fanboys, or clueless bandwagon trend jumpers. But when the product launches it sells like hot cakes and everyone is pleased all of the sudden. Ignore the hate, report the beta bugs, and move on. iOS 7 is a long needed upgrade that should have been done 3 or 4 OS updates ago. It will get better. The only icon I see that is jarring from the rest of the OS is the Safari icon. It just seems out of place. But seriously who cares, it's just an F'n ICON

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I think this is really "funny". For months before the release everyone complained about the old ICONS and they we had to have new flat ICONS. Now many are complaining about the new ICONS and want the old ones back. The ICONS only let you select an application and anyone who spends time looking at their phone to see if the ICONS look good or bad needs to get a real life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.