Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

angelamac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2011
Hi all,

So when I try to start up it makes the usual sound, the grey screen with the apple logo appears, and after the circle spins for a while it just shuts down to black. I have a macbook from early 2008. I tried the following:

command+s
Then I did :
/sbin/fsck -fy

This is what appeared:
disk0s2: I/o error
Invalid node structure
(4, 73)
**volume check failed
/dev/rdisk0s2 (hfs) EXITED WITH SIGNAL 8
./ root#

Is there anything I can do to fix this? Is my laptop toast?

Last edited:

angelamac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2011
Not at all what I was hoping to hear:( Will I probably need to buy a whole new laptop?

lukse33

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2012
When you press the Power button, press command+v or command+shift+v. That worked for me :)

mattp9

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2013
Same Problem

My macbook has the same issue - switch on, get grey screen, apple icon and the start of the timimg bar then swtiches itself off. Only info I can find is:

Incorrect number of file hard links
bad hard link connection
(It should be 3372371817 instead of 3440012734)
Hard Link record has data extenets (id+4637640).

I have no idea what any of this means but need to get into the computer asap.....any ideas?

KatyaGrinfeld

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2013
My macbook has the same issue - switch on, get grey screen, apple icon and the start of the timimg bar then swtiches itself off. Only info I can find is:

Incorrect number of file hard links
bad hard link connection
(It should be 3372371817 instead of 3440012734)
Hard Link record has data extenets (id+4637640).

I have no idea what any of this means but need to get into the computer asap.....any ideas?

Did you resolve the problem?? It happened to me today... Everything that is mentioned above. Please tell me it can be fixed... :(

robpow

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007
I had this when my HD got corrupted. Boot from an OS X install DVD, select disk utility and then verify or repair disk.

KatyaGrinfeld

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2013
I had this when my HD got corrupted. Boot from an OS X install DVD, select disk utility and then verify or repair disk.
Thanks! Does it matter if my install DVD is for Snow Leopard and my actual Lion Mountain was downloaded from appstore? How do I upgrade then?

P.S. So if it doesn't help, I need a new hard drive?

KatyaGrinfeld

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2013
Thanks! Does it matter if my install DVD is for Snow Leopard and my actual Lion Mountain was downloaded from appstore? How do I upgrade then?

P.S. So if it doesn't help, I need a new hard drive?

Hmm answering my own question I guess back up will help me to restore everything if needed..

KatyaGrinfeld

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2013

I'm trying to boot from Snow Leopard DVD but nothing happens! Disk is making a sound like it's trying to get started but the monitor is still grey and then it shuts down like always... :confused:

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
Ever find a solution? I have a friend who is experiencing the same issues, I am assuming it's her HDD which I will replace when I see her but would love some kind of clarity or update if anything else was discovered about this.

ZeroExodus

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2013
This is a simple problem with a simple solution. Basically you have a corrupt file system in your OS that is causing it not to load. Although I have never found a precise cause as to how this happens, it's possible that a third party app could be causing the problem. The only thing that can be done at this point is to do a destructive OS restore. You do not have a bad HDD. I work at a repair center and I see this everyday and it actually seems to be a pretty common issue, so don't freak out. As long as you have your files backed up, you should be fine and your computer will be back to new in about a half hour or so.

manderson1977

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2013
booting problem

KatyaGrinfeld,

I am having the same issue where it shuts itself down when trying to boot to the DVD. Did you ever resolve your issue?

helpmeplez

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2017
I am having the same issue. It first happened when I restarted the laptop. - I turn it on, a whirly circle thing and the apple logo appears, and a grey loading bar appears, when it gets to halfway, it shuts down. Please help!
[doublepost=1496838977][/doublepost]
This is a simple problem with a simple solution. Basically you have a corrupt file system in your OS that is causing it not to load. Although I have never found a precise cause as to how this happens, it's possible that a third party app could be causing the problem. The only thing that can be done at this point is to do a destructive OS restore. You do not have a bad HDD. I work at a repair center and I see this everyday and it actually seems to be a pretty common issue, so don't freak out. As long as you have your files backed up, you should be fine and your computer will be back to new in about a half hour or so.
How long will this take? Please reply quick.

misugallo

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2017
When you press the Power button, press command+v or command+shift+v. That worked for me :)

HI, I just did that and a black screen with white letters appeard... then nothing :( what else should I try? thanks!!!
[doublepost=1505853599][/doublepost]
that sound good! how can I do the destructive OC restore? Im bad with computers,.... I'm not that kind of engeenier

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.