Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

funkyfresh69

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2011
Does anyone know how to do this in 10.9? The hack of adding a space before "folders" in the plist file that used to work doesn't anymore?

D A

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
I did the hack with the space before and it works for me. Remember that the file needs to be binary for it to work.

5t3f4n

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
Bump for interest.
I was hoping I wouldn't need apps like TotalFinder now that tabs are introduced in Finder.
But I still need a solution for "folders on top".

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
There is no change in how Folders are started. You can however sort by "Tags" now.

5t3f4n

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
I did the hack with the space before and it works for me. Remember that the file needs to be binary for it to work.

Would you mind writing/linking a little guide on how to do this?

D A

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
Would you mind writing/linking a little guide on how to do this?

Sure
Code:
cd /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/ (or whatever language you're running)
sudo plutil -convert xml1 InfoPlist.strings
sudo nano InfoPlist.strings (edit folder here)
sudo plutil -convert binary1 InfoPlist.strings

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
It's worth pointing out that with Apple's increased reliance on code-signing to verify the integrity of apps, modifying the Finder directly in this way may you cause you "trouble".

5t3f4n

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
In any version of OS X, if you sort by Kind, folders will be separate.

Bunched together is not enough. They have to be first, before any files.

Sure
Code:
cd /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/ (or whatever language you're running)
sudo nano InfoPlist.strings (edit folder here)

Thanks. I'll give this a try.

Lolito

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2013
here
I used Totalfinder for a long while, and then switched to Xtrafinder, which is free and even better, as it works in such a similar way to an internet browser, and you can for example open new tabs doing middle click, like in firefox. Extra finder doesn't work now, adn i guess total finder neither. OSX finder still sucks big time...

5t3f4n

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
I used Totalfinder for a long while, and then switched to Xtrafinder, which is free and even better, as it works in such a similar way to an internet browser, and you can for example open new tabs doing middle click, like in firefox. Extra finder doesn't work now, adn i guess total finder neither. OSX finder still sucks big time...

The method described above works on Mavericks (tried it myself) and tabs are already built in.
That takes care of most of my needs. What else do you need TotalFinder or XtraFinder for?

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
That takes care of most of my needs. What else do you need TotalFinder or XtraFinder for?

I dunno but I liked to use all these features pretty regularly

Hide desktop
Colored sidebar
Side by side tabs
Automatically adjusted column width
New document context menu
Copy path context menu
Show Hidden Items menu bar toggle
Return of cmd+x cmd+v to move an item
Return would open and cmd+return to rename

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I dunno but I liked to use all these features pretty regularly

Hide desktop
Colored sidebar
Side by side tabs
Automatically adjusted column width
New document context menu
Copy path context menu
Show Hidden Items menu bar toggle
Return of cmd+x cmd+v to move an item
Return would open and cmd+return to rename

I really thought the Finder sidebar would get recolored in 10.9, following in iTunes' footsteps. Well, there's still time.

Lolito

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2013
here
Problem now is that finder has been probably re-written, so i guess all these 3rd party apps won't work anymore...

zabagabe

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2013
Sorting folders first in Mavericks Finder?

Hi all,

Since upgrading to Mavericks folders no longer show up first in Finder, which I find extremely annoying. I followed the old " folders" trick as follows:

cd /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/
sudo nano InfoPlist.strings

And inserted a space before " folder" in the <string></string>. But that still doesn't work. It shows there's a space there, but that doesn't resort finder.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'd LOVE to get it back to the older arrangement.

zombiecakes

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2012
did you try a ~ or some other symbol? I dont think a space worked in 10.8, I had to use ~

Last edited:

RedAntisocial

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2013
Canada
It DOES work, but only if you're arranging by Name etc. If you're like me and want to arrange by Kind with Folders at the top instead of applications it doesn't work.

I'm still poking about.

zabagabe

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2013
Yeah, it works if you sort by name, but not by kind, which is how I did it in the past...

RedAntisocial

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2013
Canada
I believe they are referring to sorting alphabetically with the old folder hack in place. If you don't have that, folders won't be at the top period.

zombiecakes

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2012
I believe they are referring to sorting alphabetically with the old folder hack in place. If you don't have that, folders won't be at the top period.

I did that as well, I dont think it does anything because in list view the "kind" column used to reflect the change you made to the string, now after relaunching Finder it doesnt change and still says "Folder" instead of "~Folder"

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
I do this by pressing COMMAND+J in the folder I want with pictures and folders (folders on top, pictures sorted in ABC order), then in "Arrange by", I choose Name, then "Sort by", I choose Kind. This will then sort my folder with the folders first, followed by the pictures in ABC order.

gwang73

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2009
California
Are you guys also noticing that after a reboot, if you use the column view and arrange by kind, it is not in alphabetical order? If you change to a different folder and switch back, it then sorts alphabetically.

zombiecakes

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2012
I do this by pressing COMMAND+J in the folder I want with pictures and folders (folders on top, pictures sorted in ABC order), then in "Arrange by", I choose Name, then "Sort by", I choose Kind. This will then sort my folder with the folders first, followed by the pictures in ABC order.

sorting by kind sorts the file type alphabetically, if all you have are image files the folders will be first because F for "folder" comes before J, G, and P for the different image types. Do it with folders and AVI files (or DMG's), AVI's will be at the top.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.