Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcmillan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Mainly in forums most of the external links open in new windows. How do I make them open in a new tab instead. I've found out how to open links from applications in new tabs, but not how to make all new window links open in tabs.

Any 3rd parties somebody knows?

Thanks

mcmillan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
edesignuk said:
Just press the apple key down as you click the link.

I know I can do it that way, but how would I know that the link was going to open a new window? What I'd like is a way to make all those links open in a new tab by default.

yenko

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2005
SouthWest-USA
mcmillan said:
I know I can do it that way, but how would I know that the link was going to open a new window? What I'd like is a way to make all those links open in a new tab by default.

...assuming you're using "Safari"......click on "view", scroll down to "show status bar" and click on it.

Now when you mouse over a link, the status bar will indicate whether or not it will open in a new window. :cool:

yenko

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2005
SouthWest-USA
mcmillan said:

....Safari>Preferences>Tabs>....Go Nuts! :D

yenko

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2005
SouthWest-USA
mcmillan said:
Mainly in forums most of the external links open in new windows. How do I make them open in a new tab instead. I've found out how to open links from applications in new tabs, but not how to make all new window links open in tabs.

Any 3rd parties somebody knows?

Thanks

You can also program your "Mighty Mouse" to do that!! :eek:

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Not exactly a Safari solution, but the new Firefox (1.5 Beta 1) has a very handy "force links that new windows to open in a new tab"-option. Not enough to make me switch back, but Firefox is improving... :)

mcmillan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Thanks everyone for the replies, but none of those really solves my issue. I just one something that makes 'new window' links open in a new tab by default, that simple, without pressing command or any other key. There's nothing similar that I can see under the Preferences>Tab. Nothing similar in Mighty Mouse preferences.

Thanks anyway

mcmillan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Not exactly a Safari solution, but the new Firefox (1.5 Beta 1) has a very handy "force links that new windows to open in a new tab"-option. Not enough to make me switch back, but Firefox is improving... :)

I never saw a reason to switch to firefox, but when it goes final I might do so.

yenko

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2005
SouthWest-USA
mcmillan said:
Thanks everyone for the replies, but none of those really solves my issue. I just one something that makes 'new window' links open in a new tab by default, that simple, without pressing command or any other key. There's nothing similar that I can see under the Preferences>Tab. Nothing similar in Mighty Mouse preferences.

Thanks anyway

Not true...if I understand you correctly. :eek:

Program the scroll wheel to "button 3" in mouse preferences. Make sure that tabbed browsing is enabled in Safary. Everytime you go to a link you click the scroll wheel and automatically get a new tab....if I understand you correctly.
:rolleyes:

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Some links force a new window. Tabs won't help there although the Firefox option sounds nice.

msharp

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2004
mcmillan said:

Thanks anyway

install "Saft", a plugin for Safari. then you can set all the new pages are opened in tabs, by default.

But keep updating Saft as you update your Safari, since once the version of Safari changes, Saft will stop working.

reh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2003
Arkansas
SafariStand will also force new windows into a new tab; and it's free. Another useful feature is auto-closing the download window.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.