Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Julien

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Just got a Extreme AC to replace my Extreme N. In setup it has a Wireless Options button (don't remember this before) that has a a 5 GHz option. It creates another WiFi with 5 GHz added on the end (so you have 2 WiFi). I checked this and connected this way. I had much lower speeds to my AirPort Express connecting to this WiFi. I thought 2.4/5GHz switching was auto and didn't need to be selected. Is this a new setup to the AC? I basically understand that higher frequencies can carry more data but have a more limited range. What is the beast way to setup and use?

Untitled_2.png

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Pretty much same screen for me on the (now) previous-generation Extreme.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-06-12 at 7.44.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-06-12 at 7.44.01 PM.png
    118.5 KB · Views: 85

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
You must have had the generation before last not the dual band one.

jayhawk11

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
Just got a Extreme AC to replace my Extreme N. In setup it has a Wireless Options button (don't remember this before) that has a a 5 GHz option. It creates another WiFi with 5 GHz added on the end (so you have 2 WiFi). I checked this and connected this way. I had much lower speeds to my AirPort Express connecting to this WiFi. I thought 2.4/5GHz switching was auto and didn't need to be selected. Is this a new setup to the AC? I basically understand that higher frequencies can carry more data but have a more limited range. What is the beast way to setup and use?

Those options have been there for quite a while. Nothing new.

sick z33

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2008
Yes you an set up a seperate 5g SSID if you want only certain devices to utilize it. IMO i turned this off as my Apple devices will connect to the wireless using the best signal available.

Julien

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Yes you an set up a seperate 5g SSID if you want only certain devices to utilize it. IMO i turned this off as my Apple devices will connect to the wireless using the best signal available.

So by checking/creating you will have an additional 5GHz ONLY network (even though the screen allows you to select channel info for 2.4GHz) that will NOT use/switch to 2.4GHz (limiting range???)?

If you just use the "regular" WiFi you will get 5GHz and 2.4GHz (auto switching?)? If this is the case it would seem that there is little to no advantage in making a 5GHz only WiFi. Unless your devices were always in the same room as the Extreme (in which case wouldn't it just select 5GHz anyway?)?

sick z33

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2008
So by checking/creating you will have an additional 5GHz ONLY network (even though the screen allows you to select channel info for 2.4GHz) that will NOT use/switch to 2.4GHz (limiting range???)?

If you just use the "regular" WiFi you will get 5GHz and 2.4GHz (auto switching?)? If this is the case it would seem that there is little to no advantage in making a 5GHz only WiFi. Unless your devices were always in the same room as the Extreme (in which case wouldn't it just select 5GHz anyway?)?

Correct. The advantage is that you can only have certain devices take priority of the 5GHZ. I found the range of 5GHZ to be very limited IMO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.