Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Yar, i kinda agree they should put in a little more flavors in the name because "Ipod" Touch. People hear Ipod and they think of music. Ipod touch dont even produce good music quality, its typically a point and shoot camera now as much as being pmp focus on touch gaming.

Maybe they should rename it as "Apple fun touch"???? or "Iplayer" give it a reboot maybe could help with the sales. Especially with the new "no camera" version.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
In my opinion, the biggest reason to keep the iPod touch name is marketing. Apple has spent tons of money in cultivating the iPod name. They aren't going to drop it just like that.

Also, the touch serves a different market that either the iPad or iPad mini. Lots of kids gets iPods touch and the iPod name carries a more youthful connotation.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
I feel the ipod name sort of hurts it. I never considered it until I saw the latest model in an apple store. I think of it as iphone lite. Its a great product--I just am not sure whom it is aimed at. It seems pricey for a kid device and most phones have the same functionality

sittnick

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2008
It's now more of a mini tablet than just simply a music player, so why does Apple keep it in the iPod product line and not the tablet line?

I bought the iPod Touch 2g, which I still use,despite its cracked screen.

I wanted an iPhone without the phone, and use it as a PDA, web browser, and MP3/audiobook player.

It fits in my shirt pocket. If I were to put it in a physical store that I owned, it would go with the other iPods and MP3 players, because that's what most customers would be comparing it to.

It does not have cell capability (and the Skype fake is really clunky). Unlike the iPad, no one made fun of the iPod Touch's name when it came out. Pod does not imply music only. It implies self-contained. It certainly is NOT pad or tablet sized.

IF you want to discuss a name that has outlived its usefulness, try iTunes, where an awful lot of what you do has NOTHING To do with "tunes".

----------

I feel the ipod name sort of hurts it. I never considered it until I saw the latest model in an apple store. I think of it as iphone lite. Its a great product--I just am not sure whom it is aimed at. It seems pricey for a kid device and most phones have the same functionality

It is aimed at people like me who are contract-averse, and like being able to access the iPod Touch to look things up while talking on either a dumb-cell-phone.

My $200 iPod Touch 2g has served me well for 4 1/2 years. I like that it overperforms its name. The first time I used it for remote access to my work PC in a Culver's restaurant with WIFI, I felt like a dime store Lord of the Universe, more or less.

.Asa

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2013
RIGHT BEHIND YOU!!!
Maybe they should just call it the colloquial name that 50% of people call it anyways, iTouch.

The iPhone is much more than a phone. Should we drop the name iPhone, when it does a thousand times more than just phone calls? No. It's a catchy two syllable name that is easy to say and everyone loves.

iPod touch, on the other hand, is a clunky three syllable name that takes a full second or two to pronounce. Imo it's kind of an awkward name for such a slick device. Nobody says the full name in normal conversation. I suggest drop the 'touch' and just call it an iPod, or drop the 'pod' and just call it iTouch.

Tigger11

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009
Rocket City, USA
It's now more of a mini tablet than just simply a music player, so why does Apple keep it in the iPod product line and not the tablet line?

Because it's usually thought of as inadvisable to change the name of a product this late in the game and when it was introduced, Ipod Touch made alot of sense. Remember the Ipod Touch predates the app store. It was an Ipod Touch, and ipod with a touchscreen. Only after the app store came out did it become this gaming, internet, baby tablet, movie streaming device.
-Tig

Meir David

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2013
Hey i wonder,
this question should asked to apple company CEO..why cant you try many good questions that can be get solution in the discussions....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.