Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ZDNet reports that IDG has canceled Macworld Expo Boston, which was next scheduled for July 10 to 13, 2006. Attendance and interest in the Boston event have lagged ever since Apple withdrew from attending, which in turn was a result of IDG moving the east coast Expo from New York to Boston in 2004.

"We did it for two years in Boston without Apple," said spokesman Mike Sponseller. However, he said, in talking with exhibitors and others, it became clear that there was not enough demand for future shows. Sponseller said the final decision to cancel the event was made Friday.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Part of me thinks this is a bit sad, but to be honest, without Apple, it was a bit lacklustre anyway. :eek:

There's only so many Mac related events we can have each year.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
Too bad. I never went as I live near San Francisco (and attend MWSF) but it seems it could have been good. Even if Apple pulled out of MWSF I'd like that to continue, probably on a smaller scale and rethought.

I find the educational sessions to be useful. The exhibits could be redone to reduce cost. I don't care for the big booths with fancy graphics and such. I'd be happier with simpler booths but with more access to people who really know the product.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Who is going to break the bad news to wdlove? I'm sure he was planning to attend and give us a full report.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
He's online. And probably reading this thread right now.

He will be replying shortly. :p

reyesmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Central Texas
That's OK

Once Apple is using Intel chips it will become the darling of the big PC Expos. Besides, I heard many bad things about the past Boston Expos. You won't have much repeat business with that kind of word of mouth.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
not surprising to be honest. wonder if the New York Expo will ever come back? probably not, but it would be interesting. guess this makes the Paris, MWSF and WWDC all that much more important of events.

Mac_Freak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
Does this mean that we might again see Macworld Expo New York :D That would be so cool, since I live NYC, but also that would mean that Apple could attend it.

Edit: Damn, I am too late with that response. Oh well. :D

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I'm greatly saddened, speechless at this point. Once again Steve got his way, no Apple meant decrease attendance.

johnmcboston

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2005
Boston
andiwm2003 said:
thanks apple. one less event for you. let's kill the paris expo next. that's the way to get more marketshare... :rolleyes:

Indeed.

McWorld "east" has had a rocky history. When it left Boston, it was a shadow of itself to begin with. They moved because they didn't like having to use two buildings - bu twhenthey moved, they didn't use all the space they had. Half the 2nd building was empty. Half the other building was the 'big guys'. People like MS or Quark or such who took up huge sections of the convention center. Those kind of displays never really made it to NYC.

I went to McWorld NYC a few times. I used to get there at opening, and rush to finish the show in a day. The last time I went, I was done with the whole show in 2 hours. The vendors had just changed so much - and it seemed half the people I wanted to see weren't there any more. Plus, with the internet and downloads and cost of trade shows - Mac World really wasn't the "sale" place any more. Most places didn't have product at the show, or had no discounts - both strong reasons for me to go to Mac World.

Then APple pulled out of the show after a move to Boston. No one could be that stupid. They must have seen the show going down hill - no way they would so casually throw away that much free advertising. I didn't really care anyway - Having Apple at McWorld was a waste of space - face it, you could never get in their booth anyways - and it was full of people who seemed to have not used Mac before. A boon for Apple, but it didn't do much for we veterans.

The first McW Boston was great. Lots of vendors, and time to talk to them about product. Last years McW Boston was, well, dull. I think guitar center was the most fun booth. 60% of the other booths were ipod accessories. I think I was done with my first pass in 2 hours.

I'm sure there are a ton of other reasons for McW changing. It could be as simple as the cost of the space, and vendors relying on the internet to showcase products rather than paying for trade shows. But unless IDG saw McW Boston chaning for the better, I can see why they decided to pull the plug. sigh.

So how is McW SF? Is it like the older shows, or is it slowing down as well?

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
It would seem that Steve is now start a pull away from the Paris Expo also. Starting with no Keynote. It seems that MWSF and WWDC will be all that is left in 2006. Wonder if age is catching up with Steve?

fixyourthinking

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
Greenville SC
ha ... it really had nothing to do with the show moving to Boston ... it just ended up being a blessing. Apple didn't go to Boston Expo for the same reason MacWorldd moved from New York .... cost.

Apple was able to move summer announcemants to a more important event - World Wide Developers Conference ... and wow did we get an interesting keynote this year!

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
wdlove said:
It would seem that Steve is now start a pull away from the Paris Expo also. Starting with no Keynote. It seems that MWSF and WWDC will be all that is left in 2006. Wonder if age is catching up with Steve?
Each Keynote looks like it takes at least a week to produce, especially at MWSF when he does demos. I've done some public speaking in front of large crowds and that required meticulous demos and I can tell you, I wouldn't want to do more than 1 or 2 a year.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
wdlove said:
Maybe...or possibly getting more focus.

I see this as a positive move.

Apple has a ton of Apple stores so it is much easier for folks to see Apple and third party products.

Fewer Expos give more focus to the events themselves. Which I am sure SJ likes because he can be center stage.

Additionally, it frees up Apple to concentrate more on new product developement vice Expos scheduling and preparation. In other words, Apple is more free to release new products when they want as opposed to planning for their release around the Expo events. This way the Expos can carry the really big type announcements/shifts and Apple is left free to release other products/upgrades when they want without being time constrained.

Just my .02 cents.

Sushi

Mac_Freak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
greenmonsterman said:
oh noes!

Apple cancelled MacWorld Boston 2 years ago. IDG just realized it today.

LOL :D yeah, that cancelation makes more sense right now. Thanks for clarification. So being stubborn doesn't work with Steve, unless he is the one who is resisting. :p

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
Guess this means I will have to go to Paris next year to continue my MacWorld streak....oh wait, that is if that one is still going to happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.