Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kat.hayes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
How is the quality of the iMac display for reproducing colors and blacks when compared to a dedicated Apple Cinema Display?

Thanks.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
How is the quality of the iMac display for reproducing colors and blacks when compared to a dedicated Apple Cinema Display?

Thanks.

Pretty sure they are both going to be exactly the same. The most important think is to make sure whichever route you go for get a decent calibrator. Either that or get a dedicated screen from Eizo or NEC. They come with matt screens and the CG or Spectraview models come with calibration software. Are you a photographer or designer?

kat.hayes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
1. I work with Illustrator, Photoshop and Premiere.

2. How do you get a dedicated screen to use with an iMac? Or am I misunderstanding?

Thanks!

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
1. I work with Illustrator, Photoshop and Premiere.

2. How do you get a dedicated screen to use with an iMac? Or am I misunderstanding?

Thanks!

The NEC ships with a HDMI to thunderbolt cable and will work with the iMac just fine. I think you have to pick up an adaptor to use the Eizo but it's not that much.

kat.hayes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Does this act as a second display where you can drag items from one to the other, or does it just mirror what is on the iMac display?

Thanks.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle

Thanks.

The new lamination process for the new iMacs means they're actually better than the older Cinema Display/Thunderbolt displays. I expect we'll see updated Thunderbolt displays at some point.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Does this act as a second display where you can drag items from one to the other.

Thanks.

Like this I believe. You can set it up to mirror (I think) But that would be a strange workflow.

----------

The new lamination process for the new iMacs means they're actually better than the older Cinema Display/Thunderbolt displays. I expect we'll see updated Thunderbolt displays at some point.

Most likely with the release of the new MacPro around September. I'd expect a 4k panel based on the Mavericks desktop resolution.

Pompiliu

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
Does this act as a second display where you can drag items from one to the other, or does it just mirror what is on the iMac display?

Thanks.

You have both options: you can mirror your iMac display or use it as a secondary display (extended mode). You can even make it your default display (with the menu bar and dock on it).

preference-pane.jpg

Woyzeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2012
Most likely with the release of the new MacPro around September. I'd expect a 4k panel based on the Mavericks desktop resolution.

I think that they'll split their display lines. The new MBA only supports up to 2500px, which perfectly fits the current Thunderbolt Display. The new Mac Pro will support 4K and I expect that the next 15" MBP will do as well.

So I doubt that they'll dump the Thunderbolt Display and leave the MBAs behind with no external display solution.

My guess is that we'll see an updated TD in the new iMac's design, using the same display technology. And a new Cinema Display with 4K for the pros. At a ridiculous price, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.