Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luciushunt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2009
Is there a way to disable app nap? I am doing a rendering that takes 8 hours or so. If I use safari or any other app the rendering loses priority and starts to get superslow.
Of course this is due to the app nap feature, did anyone figure out how to disable it??

thomaskc

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
Logical but interesting problem... I would assume there was a way to give certain apps priority, say low - default - high giving them a threshold for how fast or if they would go into nap-mode.

luciushunt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2009
Yes, there should be a way of adjusting priority but I cannot find it. Maybe there's a command line for terminal that can disable app nap as a temporary solution.

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2007
Is there a way to disable app nap? I am doing a rendering that takes 8 hours or so. If I use safari or any other app the rendering loses priority and starts to get superslow.
Of course this is due to the app nap feature, did anyone figure out how to disable it??

Are you sure it is even enabled for the renderer? Look in activity monitor and see if the process is app nap enabled...

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Apple said:
Note:*If you experience problems with App Nap, you can temporarily disable it for a particular process by typing:

defaults write <app domain name> NSAppSleepDisabled -bool YES

;)

luciushunt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2009
Thanks, that's amazing.
Anyway, yes app nap column says YES next to my process when minimized or in the background. It is a very cool feature, but in some cases can be dangerous, expecially when deadlines are ahead :)

Of course it's not smart to install a beta on your working machine but I couldn't resist :)

Last edited by a moderator:

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008

luciushunt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2009
That is even better. I wonder why I didn't think about that in the first place!
Thanks everybody :D

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I've always wondered how someone is able to know Terminal commands for things like this. Is there a guide or anything so I can learn this on my own? I don't mean to sidejack this, but I'm curious.

There are lots of tutorials online! Just look for linux/unix/bash introduction tutorials. Unix terminal has a very clear logics to it and its easy to grasp the basic concepts. You should try it out, its great fun and it will also explain lots of the internal structure of OS X to you - especially in regards to how the filesystem works :)

insider-man

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2011

Thanks!

Just experienced I discovered this morning that App Nap also kicks in when the Display goes in power save - this caused a pain in the butt for my 3D printing as it just stopped when the Display went sleep. I've only just work out what new 'feature' it was causing.

Other than this minor annoyance Mavericks is pretty darn special! :apple:

IzzyJG99

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
I wish you could turn it entirely off. I am having issues where if I don't do anything in Finder (Open up my Macintosh HD, etc)...and then I do it takes about 10 seconds for there to be anything. I quite literally can open up Macintosh HD and there is nothing. If I wait 10-12 seconds, they all appear. Only way I've been able to bypass this issue is by going via Dock to the Applications Folder first.

mille1j

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2013
Global

Is anyone aware of a way to disable app nab globally? I would love to test it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.