Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
It has vast capabilities like Photoshop. Key commands from other Adobe apps don't always carry over either but if you're familiar with other CS programs it helps you learn Illustrator. I've found Adobe's Classroom In A Book series very helpful. The books specialize in hands-on exercises that allow one to become familiar with the most widely used features. If you're diligent, you could probably gain basic proficiency over a long weekend.

Oracle1729

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2009
I've been using photoshop for many years and recently started using indesign which I picked up quickly and found to be a pleasure from the start. I usually pick up new software quickly I bought some decorations in illustrator format this week and ran it for the first time. I'm shocked how hard it is to use. I can't even select a decoration and copy it to a new document. I'm about ready to just rasterize the whole sheet and use PS to get the job done (but I am creating what should be vector art anyway). Obviously I have a lot to learn, but how can selecting an object be that hard? I eventually used the lasso selection and when I pasted it the colour was converted to a flat grey with even the cut out whitespace the same solid grey.

Anyway, not really asking any questions since I need to go do some reading, but I find the learning curve on illustrator to just be unbelievable.

kakalot8989

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2016
I need to buy Adobe Illustrator for making band t-shirts. Is is a hard program to learn, or can it be somewhat mastered in < three weeks?

It is not too difficult. Within three weeks, I created a EURO 2016 LOGO.
That's fun

vladi

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
LOL!:)

Seriously Illustrator has absolutely the worst bezier tool out of all VGEs out there. Until you try some CAD or VFX compositing software you will have no idea how poor Pen tool is in Illustrator. I feel bad for everyone that has to use AI for something complex.

A great website for learning how to use the Bezier tool http://bezier.method.ac/

Honestly, I'd start off with Inkscape on Linux or Windows (Mac is fine but requires X11 which no longer ships with macOS)

Inkscape will give you a pretty good rundown of vector art design with much of the same power as you'd have with Illustrator. I personally dropped Adobe products for Affinity Photo (Photoshop) and Designer(Illustrator). They've been good to me so far and I really like the layout in comparison to their alternatives. They are $50 each which is why I suggest going with the free Inkscape.

cebritt

macrumors member
May 1, 2003
Austin, TX
I need to buy Adobe Illustrator for making band t-shirts. Is is a hard program to learn, or can it be somewhat mastered in < three weeks?
I find it easier to use than Photoshop because it handles text MUCH better than PS. For t-shirt art, I think you'll enjoy it. IMHO, it's easier to learn than Freehand.

BTW, did you heard that Adobe bought Freehand and they're going to merge it into Illustrator? They're going to christen the new program Frustrator. ;^)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.