Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ios7camera.png
As noted by iDownloadBlog, the first beta for iOS 7 allows users to use zoom functionality while recording a video in the redesigned Camera app.
Upon hitting the big red red button to start recording, simply use the pinch gesture to zoom in and out during video capture. You can also tap-to-focus on your closeups as you're shooting video.

To zoom out footage, pinch out anywhere on the screen or use the handy slider at the bottom part of the interface. Unfortunately, the slider doesn't appear until you zoom in on the video.
Previously, iPhone users could only use zoom functionality before they started recording a video in video mode. There are third party apps, such as MoviePro, that allow users to zoom, but those apps require post processing to register any zooms.

9to5Mac has posted a video showing the feature in action and highlighting how the image presented maintains a high quality even at full zoom.

The report also notes that the video zoom does not pan as close as the image zoom does, but estimates that the feature allows for a 2-3x zoom with no post processing required.

Article Link: iOS 7 Beta Allows Users to Zoom While Recording Video

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Hooray! I was considering getting a new HD video camera. But if the iPhone can now zoom, I'm a happy puppy! 2x-3x isn't much, but it should do fine for my needs.

.Asa

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2013
RIGHT BEHIND YOU!!!
Am I the only one who hates the new camera app? Zoomed video? Square photos? Cheesy vintage filters? I may stay on iOS 6.

----------

I don't get the concept of digital zoom... you'd be better just cropping the image, or moving closer, rather than degrading the quality.

Exactly. I'd rather not have the feature at all. A lot of people use it without knowing the harm it causes and then wonder why their photos look so terrible.

.Asa

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2013
RIGHT BEHIND YOU!!!
Yes, because Apple points a gun at your head and forces you to use all these three things whenever you open the Camera app. :rolleyes:

Their existence really annoys me. They get in the way of my photo taking. I mean, you have to swipe from photo, to 'square', to video, where in iOS 6 you just flip the photo/video switch.

thechungster

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2008
Their existence really annoys me. They get in the way of my photo taking. I mean, you have to swipe from photo, to 'square', to video, where in iOS 6 you just flip the photo/video switch.

But it goes from video, photo, square, pano (from left to right). Not exactly hampering your video to photo switching. Also you can just tap on the mode as well without swiping.

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Huh? Photo is still located right beside Video. You can entirely ignore Square and Pano if you don't like them.

jb2017

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2013

I have not used iOS 7 yet but I believe when you access the camera app, it opens up in the regular camera mode and not the square format. So you can still quickly open up your camera app and take a "normal" photo.

Swiping left or right is something you will have to get used too as it seems gestures will be the new way you do everything in iOS, very little buttons. Plus, I believe it is faster to access areas by swipping than searching for a button then tapping it.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
Am I the only one who hates the new camera app? Zoomed video? Square photos? Cheesy vintage filters? I may stay on iOS 6.

----------

Exactly. I'd rather not have the feature at all. A lot of people use it without knowing the harm it causes and then wonder why their photos look so terrible.

You do realize this is zooming for video not stills. You should be able to zoom an 8MP sensor image 2-3 times without any loss of quality at 1080p. I don't understand the problem you have with this, its free and you don't have to use it :confused:

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK

Relax! I can't imagine anyone who wants professional quality video or photo using mobile phone camera. It is mostly used for fun and as such it does serve its purpose nicely! If video fps, zoom, image quality and and all that is your concern then you should go for the big boys (Cannon/Nikon)

akbarali.ch

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2011
Mumbai (India)
Great. every now n then we come to know a feature or 2. It would be better if the posters also mention on what devices its available. It took me a while searching the web and youtube to finally come to know that parallax and Pano wallpaper does run on iphone 4S, also translucency of menus too.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Relax! I can't imagine anyone who wants professional quality video or photo using mobile phone camera. It is mostly used for fun and as such it does serve its purpose nicely! If video fps, zoom, image quality and and all that is your concern then you should go for the big boys (Cannon/Nikon)

Exactly. There will be millions of Mom and Dads zooming into the catch the facial expression of their little one while recording a birthday video, or people sharing concert footage from the show with a nice little zoom in on Adam/Nate/Trent/Maynard (whoever :D )

They're not worried about post-production, a little graininess, they want to capture the moment in real time.

I'm glad they're adding features to the stock camera app, it's still the one I use the most ... and what I'd like to see is those features available in a standard invocation of the camera in an app, so you get all sort of additional camera features without additional coding complexity.

odedia

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
Today I finally broke down and reverted to ios 6.

I expected the first beta to have bugs, ofcourse. I didn't care about that too much. I also understand that it is still horribly slow because optimizations are not in place yet.

But I really can stand the new UI. It looks like someone in grade school painted it. I really hope Apple will take notice to a spectrum of opinions and make some adjustments (Joshua Topolski's article on theverge.com mirrors my feelings quite well).

Just my PERSONAL feelings. No bashing or trolling intended.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
Great. every now n then we come to know a feature or 2. It would be better if the posters also mention on what devices its available. It took me a while searching the web and youtube to finally come to know that parallax and Pano wallpaper does run on iphone 4S, also translucency of menus too.

Well that's good news. Thank you for doing the legwork for folks like me. I was going to get a new iPhone, but if the 4S runs everything, I will probably wait for the 6.

lusky

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2011
This isn't digital zoom. A full1080P HD image is only 2 mega pixels. for the wide shot it uses the full 8 megapixel sensor and downscales as you zoom in it uses less of the sensor but still more than 2MP. the furthest zoom I imagine will be the central 2 MP of the sensor. If you zoomed in after that you would lose quality.

Canon did this on their 600D DSLR but removed it in the 650, don't know why it was useful.

dyates0801

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2010
Zoom for iPhone 4S

Does not work on the iPhone 4S. Its shows the "+" and "-" for zoom but did not work. :mad:

jfx94

macrumors regular
May 22, 2013
where ever I am at.
The video quality in the example still seems to be less than than the RED Scarlet. C'mon apple, you were supposed to fix this with software!

(I kid, I kid... Don't throw rocks yet!)

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010

----------

Apple gives you a more functional camera, and you're upset about it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.