Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tymaster50

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
I'm thinking of getting one along with my cellular iPad and iPhone. I know you can use Airplay. Like are there any apps besides the default ones?

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
"What can you do on an Apple TV for free?"

You can watch videos on YouTube, Vimeo, Apple Trailers, and WSJ Live, listen to internet radio and podcasts, check sports scores, browse Flicker, access your iTunes library, and view your Photostream(s).

"Like are there any apps besides the default ones?"

No. At least not currently.

Last edited:

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
If you have a Plex Media Server you can trick the Trailers app into streaming Plex, but that's pretty much it besides what has already been mentioned.

tymaster50

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Sounds pretty uneventful. So that Plex is pretty much the only way to stream anything other an mp4 file?

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
The people that really love their ATVs are those invested in the iTunes ecosystem. iTunes in the Cloud has made me a hardcore movies and TV buyer from iTunes. If you do that you'll love the ATV.

People that use AirPlay also love this thing. It works great with Aereo for AirPlay. I use the heck out of my ATV.

I'd rather pay for quality content than watch a bunch of crap.

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
The primary reason I got an apple tv was so that I could view my photos on my TV without having to hook up my computer.
If you're on a mac OR a Windows PC, you can use HomeSharing to view your photos on your ATV via iPhoto, Aperture, or simply organizing them in folders on your computer. This is managed through iTunes.

Homesharing also lets you view any videos you have in iTunes. These can include DVDs you have ripped using Handbrake (free). Or home videos in your iPhoto library or that you've dragged into iTunes.

The hassle I save from not having to move/plug in my computer to my TV to watch this stuff is well worth the price of the Apple TV.

institute

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
I rarely rent from iTunes. I buy DVDs and bluray and encode them for iTunes and the ATV. I also use my iPod touch and Ipad to Airplay to my ATV and big screen TV. I have far more content than I know what to do with since I work and have a family as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.