Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crimedogg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2013
First off, thanks to everyone who reads and provides advice. I am looking to buy a camera/camcorder to use with iMovie '11 to create family DVD's of both still pictures and videos. I am very busy with work and don't have a lot of time for complicated programs, conversions, etc. I will be taking photos of still shots as well as some sports/action pictures and will be filming 5-10 minute sports clips and 20-30 minutes plays/performances. As you can tell, I am not looking to make HBO quality programming; however, I would like the DVD's to be of decent quality.

Should I try to purchase/use a separate camera and camcorder or is a good quality DSLR camera capable of providing both the still photos and the video? I would like to stay in the $500-$600 range (less is better obviously) for either both a camera and camcorder or one DSLR that can do both.

Any suggestions? Anything else I am not thinking of? Thanks.

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
Before you buy a DSLR to use for video, find out if you can zoom in/out while videoing. On some cameras you can't do this, so are stuck at one zoom setting.

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
Before you buy a DSLR to use for video, find out if you can zoom in/out while videoing. On some cameras you can't do this, so are stuck at one zoom setting.

maybe he should get a zoom lens then (or did you mean digital zoom for focusing ?)

@crimedogg

not sure if the video-codecs of a typical dslr will work in imovie without converting. do your research there. also, a lot of dslrs limit the time you can record a video - so no 30 minute recording on them. (without pressing the record button again)

quality-wise you get a much larger chip on a dslr than you get on a consumer-grade-camcorder. so that translates into better low light capabilities and less depth of field (e.g.: blurry backgrounds & sharp foregrounds - which is often a good thing - although it's easier to mess up focus).

maybe you should also look at some mirrorless cameras (olympus pen, sony nex, panasonic lumix).

you'll probably get the best (video & photo) results with a dslr (make sure you can plug in an external mix - you'll get much better results when recording plays/performances) - but they might be harder to use than a dedicated point'n shoot cam for half the price (at least in video mode).

for the budget i'd either get something like a used canon ti2, put the magic lantern firmware hack on it, a halfway decent 18-70 zoom lens and an external microphone or - if you don't feel comfortable with converting videos, etc. something along the lines of a panasonic lumix g3 (it's avchd-codec should import directly into imovie - although imovie still converts it into AIC) with the 14-42 kit lens + an external mic & another lens (e.g. a used 70-210 dslr lens with m43 adaptor formore zoom when shooting sports)

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
I would recomend that you don't use imovie 11 or a dslr,

I recomend to you getting a Canon Vixia HF g30

canon-vixia-hf-g30-1365000029.jpg

It can take great video and stills

As for editing, Get lightworks if you want to do anything more than simple inaccurate splits and cuts and effects and rendering that looks grainy as hell.

lightworks-trim-screenshot.png

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
And there's nothing wrong with iMovie, which is free, for home movies. The basic Lightroom is free, but the Pro version(with Quicktime/DVD export) is £40/$60 for a ONE YEAR licence.

leandroc76

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2003
Any suggestions? Anything else I am not thinking of? Thanks.

A good tripod, with a solid fluid head is near must for what your doing. Not necessarily needed for HBO movies if you will. But for sports, a 70-300mm lens is your cheapest bet to get quality video from a distance. Attach that to a D5200 or a T3i. Honestly, a camcorder at a price range under $1000, will leave you wishing you had a DSLR. No glass in front of a camcorder will ever match the quality of a DSLR and a decent lens.

I would probably stretch it to a Tamron 18-200. Which gives you about 28mm range on the wide end and 250mm on the long.

Other than that, I would also look into getting steadi-cam of sorts. some cheapos work well with lighter cameras, like the Opteka steadyvid pro. It says it can handle up 5 lbs, but it can't 3 max really.

I have both the Opteka and the Glidecam HD2000 and the Glidecam is worlds different, but it's also $500.

If a tripod with a fluid is too much, there are video pods, monopods for video, I'd check those out too.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
First off, thanks to everyone who reads and provides advice. I am looking to buy a camera/camcorder to use with iMovie '11 to create family DVD's of both still pictures and videos....

You say "DVD". Those are "standard" and not HD. So by not needing an HD camera you can save TON of cash. Today everyone wants "HD" because they have an HD TV. But if all you need to DVD quality then buy a USED video camera. Used Standard Definition camera are dirt cheap even really good ones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.