Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

motulist

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
You know how when you have no finder windows open and you switch to the finder it opens up the hard disk folder? I want to switch the folder that it opens automatically. Anyone know how to do it?

os 10.3.9

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
Mine doesn't do that. When I press command+n it opens to mac HD though.
I think it's fixed like that so it always starts on your boot drive. Maybe third party software such as 'tinkertool' could have options to change it.

Mac_Freak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
Go to Finder>Preferences>General and then change the "New Finder window opens:" to what ever you like from the drop down list.

Plus, look under GO> you will see some shortcuts to different folders:
ex. Shift-Command-A opens up new Finder window in Applications folder.

motulist

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
Mac_Freak said:
Go to Finder>Preferences>General and then change the "New Finder window opens:" to what ever you like from the drop down list.

Plus, look under GO> you will see some shortcuts to different folders:
ex. Shift-Command-A opens up new Finder window in Applications folder.

Awesome! You da Man (or WoMan)! But now, ha ha! Now that I know about the go to folders shortcuts, is there anyway to modify those too?

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
A lot of new mac users simply don't know that there are TONS of keyboard shortcuts throughout OS X and the accompanying apps. As you browse the menus try looking to see if a command you often use has a key combination (a lot of the common ones do), try it out, and eventually you'll learn it. The less you have to navigate with a mouse, the faster you can do things.
Look at the attached: All apps have loads.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    25.7 KB · Views: 291

motulist

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
James Philp said:
A lot of new mac users simply don't know that there are TONS of keyboard shortcuts throughout OS X and the accompanying apps. As you browse the menus try looking to see if a command you often use has a key combination (a lot of the common ones do), try it out, and eventually you'll learn it. The less you have to navigate with a mouse, the faster you can do things.
Look at the attached: All apps have loads.

I'm a long time Mac users and I know all of the standard shortcuts. That's why I'm now looking for these more advanced shortcuts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.