Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

notevirus7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
So I've been googling all day trying to find the best solution for my Ipod Touch 4G.

I tried to jailbreak my Ipod using redsn0w but since the power button is jammed, I had to do the DFU IPSW method in redsn0w. My ipod got into DFU mode but after trying to Jailbreak it, redsn0w crashed with an error report and now my Ipod Touch is stuck in Soft DFU mode.

*Can't open it since power button is jammed
*iTunes says it is in "Recovery Mode" then tried restoring it with iTunes, it says "error 1601"
*can't recovery fix with redsn0w cause it won't allow me to click the next button when my Ipod is connected to the PC.

PLEASE HELP :(

edit: I managed to bail it out from DFU mode and also downgraded it from 4.2.1 . Im off to creating another topic on getting it to untethered jailbreak. thanks you guys for helping me out :)

Last edited:

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
So I've been googling all day trying to find the best solution for my Ipod Touch 4G.

I tried to jailbreak my Ipod using redsn0w but since the power button is jammed, I had to do the DFU IPSW method in redsn0w. My ipod got into DFU mode but after trying to Jailbreak it, redsn0w crashed with an error report and now my Ipod Touch is stuck in Soft DFU mode.

*Can't open it since power button is jammed
*iTunes says it is in "Recovery Mode" then tried restoring it with iTunes, it says "error 1601"
*can't recovery fix with redsn0w cause it won't allow me to click the next button when it is connected to the

PLEASE HELP :(

man, this case is the definition of stuck

notevirus7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
I'm thinking of repairing the power button but my friend technician said it would be hard since the power button of my ipod is connected to the volume button.

at first the home button was also jammed. He was the one who fixed it.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
a bit more info would help

what firmware was it, and what firmware are you restoring to, do you have your blobs, is your host file set to cydia or to apple?

notevirus7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
a bit more info would help

what firmware was it, and what firmware are you restoring to, do you have your blobs, is your host file set to cydia or to apple?

Okay so I updated it to IOS 6, not knowing that is sucks. My plan was to downgrade it to 4.2.1 (i have 4.2.1 shsh as well save)

I think my host was set to apple since I didn't see the Cydia on my phone when my sister gave it to me. (aaaand she told me that I don't need to jailbreak it)

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
…..when you go and do stuff like this make sure what you are doing….

Cydia not showing on your device or not has nothing to do with your host file which is on your computer

for 5+ firmware the host file needs to be set to apple.
for 4.x fimware the host file needs to point to Cydia

hook up device
In redsn0w go to Extra's/SHSH/query

It should show all available blobs.
Check that cydia has your blobs for 4.2.1

Download TinyUmbrella
with device connected open TU
go to advanced tab and make sure Set host to Cydia is CHECKED

close TU

now try again to restore to 4.2.1

Why don't you restore to 5.1.1 btw?

notevirus7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
…..when you go and do stuff like this make sure what you are doing….

Cydia not showing on your device or not has nothing to do with your host file which is on your computer

for 5+ firmware the host file needs to be set to apple.
for 4.x fimware the host file needs to point to Cydia

hook up device
In redsn0w go to Extra's/SHSH/query

It should show all available blobs.
Check that cydia has your blobs for 4.2.1

Download TinyUmbrella
with device connected open TU
go to advanced tab and make sure Set host to Cydia is CHECKED

close TU

now try again to restore to 4.2.1

Why don't you restore to 5.1.1 btw?

I can't. My sister didn't save and wasn't aware about shsh blobs. The only shsh blobs i recovered was 4.2.1 and 4.3.x (edit: I went to check on redsn0w and this is the available blobs: 4.3b3, 4.3b2, 4.3b1, 4.3, 4.2.1)

As of now, I don't plan on downgrading, I need to get out of DFU mode first since I can't use my Ipod. It stuck in all black and I can't open it...

----------

and I can't check the "Set host to Cydia" :(

Siggen

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
Oslo, Norway
If you have access to another identical iPod Touch, you can use that to bypass the check for which iPod it is in redsn0w. then just swap it when its telling you to enter DFU.

There are probably some other ways also.

notevirus7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
If you have access to another identical iPod Touch, you can use that to bypass the check for which iPod it is in redsn0w. then just swap it when its telling you to enter DFU.

There are probably some other ways also.

Okay what will happen if I manage to tap the check on? or what do I do next...

Siggen

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
Oslo, Norway
Okay what will happen if I manage to tap the check on? or what do I do next...

From what I understand of your situation,

just plug in another identical iPod Touch and follow redsn0w til it prompts you to set it in DFU modus, you dont need to get the instructions up on the screen. One of the screen says (and im paraphracing here) "Set your device in DFU mode, if you want instruction press next"

Now you just swap the iPod touches, and it will jailbreak for you.

When you are out of DFU modus, and have it jailbroken, you can install activator in Cydia, and have it attach some action to lock the device. Also some other action to power down the device if you want. Examples, swipe the statusbar to lock. or something else.

Also I just remembered, I think TinyUmbrella can kick you out of DFU modus. Maybe even redsn0w can do that if you check the menu.

notevirus7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
From what I understand of your situation,

just plug in another identical iPod Touch and follow redsn0w til it prompts you to set it in DFU modus, you dont need to get the instructions up on the screen. One of the screen says (and im paraphracing here) "Set your device in DFU mode, if you want instruction press next"

Now you just swap the iPod touches, and it will jailbreak for you.

When you are out of DFU modus, and have it jailbroken, you can install activator in Cydia, and have it attach some action to lock the device. Also some other action to power down the device if you want. Examples, swipe the statusbar to lock. or something else.

Also I just remembered, I think TinyUmbrella can kick you out of DFU modus. Maybe even redsn0w can do that if you check the menu.

Ok i will try that later. I feel dizzy for searching all over google. I thought TU and redsn0w can kick out my ipod's DFU mode too but i cant click the EXIT RECOVERY button on TU. On redsn0w, I can click the recovery fix but it won't allow me to click next. It will only allow me to click next when I remove my Ipod touch. As of now, I'll try what you just mentioned thanks :D.

also thanks for the other replies as well :)

notevirus7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
it says "USB communication problem"

which I already used two different usb connectors and different ports as well.

notevirus7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
edit:

My plan was to downgrade but I really really need to get out of this Stuck DFU mode first. But if downgrading will allow me to fix my Ipod then I guess I'll stick with it.

But for now, I want to get out of the Stuck DFU mode first. I can't use my Ipod because of this. It's just black and useless.

Last edited:

notevirus7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
Ok, I tried downgrading it to 4.2.1 using Custom IPSW. I was so glad it opened with the Apple Logo but now iTunes came up with error 1604. aaaaand now the apple logo is stuck on my Ipod Touch:eek:

notevirus7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
by you say custom IPSW, do you mean the recent ENTER_DFU.IPSW that I used?

What do you think would be the best solution for this?

Cause I keep getting error 1601 when restoring to its original OS. I just want to get out of DFU mode so I can use my Ipod Touch again.

I thought that downgrading fixed my problem since the iPOD logo appeared when downgrading but then, iTunes appeared with an error 1604 and now it got stuck, and returned to DFU again. :eek:

----------

For custom firmware you need to be in pwnd-DFU

i dont need to do a pwned DFU on a 4.2.1 original firmware right? I'm thinking downgrading it to 4.2.1 since I have saved shsh blobs.

notevirus7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
omg, I tried restoring it to 4.2.1 on my own pc (which where I first saved my SHSH blobs) and it worked!!! and it is downgraded too!!!

ok when I downgraded from 6.0 to 4.2.1, i think the host to cydia was unchecked. Is that ok?

Now i'm planning to do an untethered jailbreak :D

danyal0121

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2012
Help!

I am having the exact same problem with my 3GS it is stuck in a soft dfu mode and the power button is stuck and everytime i try to restore to ios 6 i get the error 1600 can anyone please help

SDJailbreak

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2013
@danyal

I am having the exact same problem with my 3GS it is stuck in a soft dfu mode and the power button is stuck and everytime i try to restore to ios 6 i get the error 1600 can anyone please help

I Believe the only current fix for Soft DFU Mode after a downgrade. Is to boot the iDevice tethered by redsn0w. Now to fix error 1600 i just went And Opened Wordpad / Notepad and then at the top left i selected file > open then i went to Computer > windows > system32 > drivers > hosts. Thats for Windows 7, If you run Vista i believe its the same and for XP , But for mac im not sure where the directory is found :(. As For Entering DFU Mode Simply on Redsn0w > extra's > even more > DFU IPSW. It will then ask you to select your iDevice's IPSW. After selecting it should save On the desktop or maybe where you desire. After that go into itunes and hold shift then press restore and select that DFU IPSW. Although it restore's your iDevice you can use a backup feature. Hope this helped

Last edited:

joetheusher36

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2013
Soft DFU mode

When I try to restore with itunes i get error 1600. I found the correct firmware to restore with and I still got that error. I tried the thing in notepad, but there was no host file.

joetheusher36

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2013
ipod touch 4g with ios 6.1. 3
Computer > windows > system32 > drivers in the open window on notepad but there was no host file
Also, If i use another 4g device with redsn0w to get to the point where mine crapped out and swap devices, will the device i used be messed up too?

Last edited:

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
Once I fixed it with deleting the hosts and another time using a different USB port. Every other time I fixed that error by using a different computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.