Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shorn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
OK, This is starting to really grate now.

I have an ATV3, connected via ethernet to an Airport Extreme. I have a 2011 Mac Mini connected via ethernet to the AEBS as well.

I have all my media stored on the mini for playback through the Apple TV. The mini is always on.

Everything is running the latest version.

I would say that about 50% of the time that I try to access the iTunes library on the ATV, it just keeps showing the spinner, and then says that it cannot connect after 5 minutes or so.

When I check the Mini, iTunes has frozen, and it has to be closed via force quit.

Then it will not reopen as it says the library file is locked. The only way I can get it up and running again is to restart the mini.

It's becoming a major pain in the a$$.

Any ideas!

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Try running the AppleTV via Wi-Fi and see if that makes a difference. There are some odd things with ATV and Ethernet.

shorn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Will do. I'll report back. Will be slightly annoying if that works, as I would ideally like to take advantage of the higher gigabit ethernet speed for streaming of HD material.

shorn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Just tried over wifi. Set ATV to wifi (unplugged the ethernet) and then went and restarted iTunes on the Mini.

Restarted ATV. My Mini iTunes library shows on the ATV. I click into it, and choose movies, and try to start the first movie. Just getting continual spinner. Check the mini, and iTunes has frozen again. Argh!

Driving me insane!

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Just tried over wifi. Set ATV to wifi (unplugged the ethernet) and then went and restarted iTunes on the Mini.

Restarted ATV. My Mini iTunes library shows on the ATV. I click into it, and choose movies, and try to start the first movie. Just getting continual spinner. Check the mini, and iTunes has frozen again. Argh!

Driving me insane!

Negative results are still results :) so you've ruled out ethernet as part of the issue.

Since you've already stated everything is up to date, I'd try this:

Quit iTunes
Create a new user account on the Mac
Open iTunes as that user
Add a movie to it (either drag in or redownload or whatever)
Enable home sharing

See how that performs. If no issues, then something with your user account or main iTunes library is the culprit. If same issue, then it's OS or hardware or network or Apple TV related.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.