Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

draperm25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
Swansea
Hi All,

So im going to jailbreak my iPhone 1.1.2 OOB and i was looking through the jailbreak process, and was wondering what SSH is? Do you need to install this to complete the jailbreak? as i notice when you click on the Windows.bat file i gives you the option to install SSH, so do we really need it, as i want to keep my iPhone to the way i got it, as much as i can.

What does SSH really do? :confused:

I am running windows vista (if that helps?)

Many Thanks

ab2650

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
Note, I don't know anything about jailbreaking iPod/iPhones, so don't take me as a source, please.

If you need a SSH client on Windows, download and install PuTTY. If you need a SSH server, you should be looking at a different OS.

AVR2

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2006
If you need a SSH client on Windows, download and install PuTTY. If you need a SSH server, you should be looking at a different OS
With respect, that doesn't help the OP in any way. S/he doesn't know what SSH is, so s/he doesn't know if s/he needs a client or a server.

draperm25, SSH stands for Secure Shell. It's a way of exchanging data over a secure connection between two remote computers.

As to whether or not you need it, just follow the instructions for jailbreaking. If they say you need it, you need it. Certainly, the method of jailbreaking the OOB 1.1.2 to be found on hackint0sh requires that you install OpenSSH once you've downgraded to 1.1.1 and then updated to 1.1.2 again.

If you're worried about warranties etc and want to keep your iPhone as standard as possible, don't jailbreak.

draperm25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
Swansea
ok anothequestion is, once you have gone through all the process of jailbreaking and you are back to 1.1.2, you dont have to intall loads of other, apps do you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.