Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
The Verge isn't biased. Their reaction to WWDC has been admittedly been strangely negative, but I still find them to be quite fair in their criticisms.

petvas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
The Verge isn't biased. Their reaction to WWDC has been admittedly been strangely negative, but I still find them to be quite fair in their criticisms.

They were not at first, even last year when they criticized iOS 6. This year their reaction is very biased..Read the article and you will understand how..

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
The design complaints they leveled with iOS 7 were incredibly well-grounded. I think they're really honest and often insightful. It's not anti-Apple, it's just the truth. The fact that they get Google exclusives doesn't make them biased. I still think they're the highest quality tech news site.

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
God forbid you dare to levy criticism against Apple and all of a sudden you are 'biased.' Their criticisms are their opinions and have merit. Believe it or not, you don't have to say positive things about Apple 100% of the time.

I'm glad you people aren't in charge of a country, you are the same kind of people you would throw somebody in jail for 10 years for looking at you the wrong way.

Posts like this disgust me.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I do sense a little anti-Apple over there and pro Google. But then Apple really is lagging behind Google in some areas.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Meanwhile at The Verge, all of the commenters there think Josh and the gang are paid Apple shills, heh.

This is the first time I can remember them having a strong negative reaction to anything Apple has done.

The author of the linked blog article appears to be more upset with the quantity and depth of Google-related news on the site as opposed to Apple. This is a quick fix for Apple if they are worried about it - give The Verge more access. I'm not sure how it is The Verge's fault that Apple is notoriously tight-lipped and "doubling-down on secrecy"?

I wouldn't confuse quantity and depth of information about one brand over another as bias. They are exploiting the access they are given.

tl;dr - they can't win.

Last edited:

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
I do not like Joshua, Nilay or the other dude at all. Joshua especially. I think they are all tools that try way too hard to be something they're not. Waaaaay tooo hard. They act as though they are god's among men and what they do will go down in the annals of history. :rolleyes:

I don't go there anymore.

Glassheads

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2013
The verge article on iOS being confusing was pretty weak for me. Criticisms on Icons may be deserving but not really something makes it confusing. If anyone who is writing these critiques goes and at least watches WWDC session on iOS 7 UI will know rationale behind most decisions.

Josh's criticism on new share icon didn't make sense to me , it is different from the old icon but i think new icon is clearer and brings out the intent of sending something. But its a opinion and everyone has a right to their opinion. what i fault about the article is timing. IMO 1-2 days of using a new UI and OS to form a opinion is not enough. its doubly not enough when the UI is still in beta and can see multiple revision. Keep in mind this is the first UI change to iOS and we are in new territory here in terms of how beta builds will change UI.

And nilay's article about iCloud was mostly waste of time for me. taking phil schillers phrase on a hardware device and equating to mood of whole company is weak. if he had seen platforms state of union, Apple stated that they are aware of issues with core data in iCloud and this year they have no new releases and instead focus is on reliability and performance. That statement alone makes the whole article a waste of time.

But ultimately, tech sites like verge mostly try to generate conflict between companies even when there is none. they adapt to what sells. right now its clear that criticizing apple sells. we have been seeing that since last wwdc, Apple has been criticized more than it was in last 5 years. May be they deserve it, may be they don't but thats apparently whats cool now. If you need real tech news, may i suggest Anandtech to you.

Last edited:

petvas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
God forbid you dare to levy criticism against Apple and all of a sudden you are 'biased.' Their criticisms are their opinions and have merit. Believe it or not, you don't have to say positive things about Apple 100% of the time.

I'm glad you people aren't in charge of a country, you are the same kind of people you would throw somebody in jail for 10 years for looking at you the wrong way.

Posts like this disgust me.

I respect criticism, but this time they went over the top. Just read all of their articles and listen to their podcasts this week. This is not objective criticism, it is libel.
Apple is not perfect. Other websites have also pointed out the inconsistencies of the new design, but their tone was a different one. They didn't bury the OS because of three icons...Even Engadget was much more positive! If you don't see it then what can I say..

RedCoil

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2013
Honestly, I thought the parts of the Verge's coverage of WWDC that I bothered to read were ok. Calling it "libel" is pretty hyperbolic. Shoddy or click baiting maybe, but hardly libel. A lot of what Apple did was good, but most of it was stuff that was long over due. I lost count of how many times I caught myself saying "About time!" as I watched the WWDC keynote.

As for the Verge being biased against Apple, ha! Look at their "What's in your bag" articles. Nearly everyone on their staff has a Macbook, an iPad and an iPhone. As far as I know, no Android or Windows powered device has ever gotten a better review score from the Verge as the equivalent Apple product. The only real bias they show is to whatever they think will get the most page views.

Renzatic

Suspended
article said:
The Verge was without question my favorite tech site, but now I can’t visit it because it’s clear they are biased against Apple.

Read: They said something negative about my favorite company, and I CANNOT TOLERATE THAT!

Some people don't like everything Apple or Google does, and they're allowed to express their opinion if they find something wanting. Some people need to accept this little fact of life and grow the hell up.

I hate "X is biased against Y" articles. They're always pointless, and never anything more than incredibly stupid.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
what i fault about the article is timing. IMO 1-2 days of using a new UI and OS to form a opinion is not enough. its doubly not enough when the UI is still in beta and can see multiple revision. Keep in mind this is the first UI change to iOS and we are in new territory here in terms of how beta builds will change UI.

IMO this is more of a comment on the industry in general. The focus on quality has been heavily diluted by the focus on being first to have an article up. Everyone is rushing articles and videos to the web as quickly as possible in hopes that they can ride the wave to ad revenue. Most of the reporting I have seen thus far on iOS 7 is dull, uninspired, and regurgitation of things that are common knowledge. There is no real insight.

Nowhere else is this more evident than the army of vloggers on YouTube. SoldierKnowsBest, Retinger, and several others are making a living off of firing up a camera, reading 9to5mac or MacRumors, and presenting it as if they have some type of inside knowledge or new insight to share. It is extremely lame.

petvas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
Read: They said something negative about my favorite company, and I CANNOT TOLERATE THAT!

Some people don't like everything Apple or Google does, and they're allowed to express their opinion if they find something wanting. Some people need to accept this little fact of life and grow the hell up.

I hate "X is biased against Y" articles. They're always pointless, and never anything more than incredibly stupid.

I understand what you are saying but this time it is really different. Everybody is entitled to an opinion and it is ok if somebody doesn't like Apple or iOS 7. The problem starts when someone that can influence a big audience starts using his position to libel. They even compared the new Mac Pro with a coffee machine...
I don't like websites that always say how great Apple is, I just want objective opinions. The Verge is always saying how Apple is playing catch up all the time and how weak Apple's web services are, but the truth is not black and white.
Apple has some unique strong points and a very different philosophy. They bring features only when they find out a way to do it in a simple to understand way for common people. Of course they have been playing catch up in various things, but they are also innovators in many more areas...

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Charmin

The Verge is entitled to their opinion and while it may not be Pro Apple in this case. I like that they call it as they see it.
I've seen the Verge criticize Google HTC Microsoft as well as many others
The only way companies realize what's wrong is by feedback, criticism , and opinion
For the individual that started this thread get yourself a pair of rose color glasses and everything will seem better

Last edited:

AdamReid

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2013
The author of the linked blog article appears to be more upset with the quantity and depth of Google-related news on the site as opposed to Apple.

No, as I noted this was a complete 180 from the previous year's WWDC coverage despite, so with that being the effect I posited that their close relationship with Google was the cause.

Again, not the point at all. Their coverage was 100% negative, to the point of making up grammatical errors in a product ad and writing an entire article about the hubris of Apple based on one joke. It's outrageous. And, their vitriol is a completely different tone from what other sites are writing, as I linked. That and they fact that they are deleting threads in Apple Core and banning commenters looks bad.

I posted 25 links laying out my argument, if you want to reduce it to butthurt, thats your choice I guess. But if you actually compare what they are doing to this time last year and what TechCrunch, Slashgear, ABC News, Engadget, and company are writing it stands out. The question isn't "are they bashing Apple", it's "why are they bashing Apple, and why now"?

petvas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
The Verge is entitled to their opinion and while it may not be Pro Apple in this case. I like that they call it as they see it.
I've seen the Verge criticize Google HTC Microsoft as well as many others
The only way companies realize what's wrong is by feedback, criticism , and opinion
For the individual that started this thread get yourself a pair of rose collored glasses and everything will seem better

Thanks for the advice...

Glassheads

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2013
IMO this is more of a comment on the industry in general. The focus on quality has been heavily diluted by the focus on being first to have an article up.

you are right, tech blogosphere as whole is throwing out lot of articles per hour but with very little content. Even reviews are being very shallow and demonstrate lack of understanding. There are few sites where writers actually take time to do a review.

One thing that i am more sad about is how people treat others work. you may not like a product but show some respect to people who made it. From experience working through redesigning applications and websites, I know how hard it is to redesign something and keep it working same as before. Even if I don't like iOS 7, I respect engineers at Apple to pull off a redesign of OS in 8 months. Its incredibly hard to do in the time frame they have.

Last edited:

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

Actually they are. Extremely biased. Toward whatever might get them the most hits. Right now that is iOS 7 and Apple bashing.

RedCoil

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2013
you are right, tech blogosphere as whole is throwing out lot of articles per hour but with very little content. .

Sadly, it isn't just the tech blogosphere. It's the news in general. Journalism is dead. It's all about sensationalism, ratings/page views and ad revenue now.

Actually they are. Extremely biased. Toward whatever might get them the mot hits. Right now that is iOS 7 and Apple bashing.

Amen.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
The Verge has their collective head so far up Google's arse it isn't even funny.

But no surprise the Verge doesn't like Apple (other than their contributors using MacBooks because they think it make them look hip) because Apple doesn't stroke their ego. Apple doesn't give up any of their executives to the Verge for exclusive interviews ala Google. They don't give Verge contributors exclusive access or any new product ala Google and Glass. The Verge has been trending towards a Google fanboy site for a while now, but ever since they got access to Glass it's become almost unbearable.

MVallee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I've also noticed a shift in their articles about Apple recently. They never seemed pro-Apple or anti-Apple in the past, they were pretty fair, but recently it seems like every article about Apple has a negative slant to it.

Their article about the Mac Pro (which has alot of positive buzz) was barely about the Mac Pro. Instead they twisted the "Can't innovate anymore my ass" comments into an article about how iCloud apparently sucks. All their iOS 7 coverage has been negative as well, and the article about it being confusing was definitely reaching.

I don't at all think they should only write positive articles about Apple. There are elements of iOS 7 that need improvements but there are also alot of things that deserve praise. Control centre, new flat design, better multitasking, these are things people have been asking for forever. They should at least give them a little credit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.