Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sankel

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2012
I had a post of this before, but it is getting worse.

My iMac burns everything on my display what I do. What can I do about it? Will Apple recplace the screen or the iMac itself?

Is there maybe any solution for stopping it?

Attachments

• foto 2.JPG
    foto 2.JPG
    587.2 KB · Views: 3,139
  • foto 3.JPG
    foto 3.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 606

Tbdbuckeyeitl

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2012
How long did it take for those images to burn in? Did the screen stay on those images along time?
I would call apple and load it up and take it to a genius. If you are within 14 days return it for a new one.

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
They all have this to some extend.. After the machine warms up for a bit then you open a white page like Facebook use the same screen for around 15-20 it burns in. I went through 5 iMacs they all have them some worse than others.

themcfly

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2011
They all have this to some extend.. After the machine warms up for a bit then you open a white page like Facebook use the same screen for around 15-20 it burns in. I went through 5 iMacs they all have them some worse than others.
No, they haven't.

And I know what that means because on my workplace I work everyday on an old 24 Apple Cinema Display that behaves exactly like that, and the ghosting is clearly visible after 30"/1' on an high contrast image switching to a grey background for example. Too bad the warranty has expired and the previous user didn't noticed.

OP, bring it back asap. That's really bad, can't be tolerable on a 2000+$ machine. Actually, that's pretty bad even for a 80$ monitor.

Sankel

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2012
Bring it today to apple store, and did a few checks. Now it's hopefully in repair.

I did a chat of 20 minutes, and went back to photoshop. It has a dark grey background, so it was very noticeable. The weird thing was that it disappears all of a sudden after 45 minutes or so. And not went back for 2 hours.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle

edry we had this discussion :p. They do NOT all do this.

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010

I know William, but see I've done the same test you've done (the video one remember) thanks for that btw again :). And it doesn't appear on mine as well. If I use my machine for at least 5-8 hours and leave a white page there for 15-20 mins straight full brightness, I will get a little ghosting not like the picture from op but it is noticeable ONLY on dark gray background like photoshop or AE. I think if that wasnt true for all machines apple wouldn't have said this: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5455 apple is a company that doesn't like too much posting "issues" about their machines if this wasnt a "normal" thing I think apple would have never posted anything like this in their website. I could be wrong but judging by all the iMacs I seen tested so far and they ALL have them to some extend. This are not just experiences on the machines I've gotten but some from school labs, friends, all the ones in my local apple store they all have this to some extend some worse than others like I said. So I find hard based on my experiences with SO MANY iMacs tested and having this issue, to believe they all don't have the issue.

OP let us know how your repair goes and and let me know if the issue is truely been resolved.

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
They seriously need to stop using 3 generation old LG panels. :mad:

this is what i said the LG panels just suck.. they probably chose them because they were the cheapest too it just sucks. Id much much rather have samsung make them for all the machines including the retina macbook pros, theres another issue with the lg panels in those too.

itsamacthing

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2011
Bangkok
I had a post of this before, but it is getting worse.

My iMac burns everything on my display what I do. What can I do about it? Will Apple recplace the screen or the iMac itself?

Is there maybe any solution for stopping it?

Defective display, Apple will resolve that for you

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia

And ive had this discussion with you ;) and yes ALL LED/LCD panels have IR to a certain degree, some much worse then others, it is inherent of how an LCD panel works. The crystals sometimes get stuck in the wrong position when they have been in the same position for a long time. If you are getting IR after only having a static image on screen for 30 mins it is defective and needs to be taken back to Apple. However it is perfectly normal to have some light IR after having a static image up for a few a hours and the IR should disappear after a short period. Ive seen IR on EVERY LCD ive ever used and ive used alot being in the Graphic reproduction industry for over 13 years. The issue is a large amount of these LG panels seem to be defective, Samsung panels seem much better in this regard.

Last edited:

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
And ive had this discussion with you ;) and yes ALL LED/LCD panels have IR to a certain degree, some much worse then others, it is inherent of how an LCD panel works. The crystals sometimes get stuck in the wrong position when they have been in the same position for a long time. If you are getting IR after only having a static image on screen for 30 mins it is defective and needs to be taken back to Apple. However it is perfectly normal to have some light IR after having a static image up for a few a hours and the IR should disappear after a short period. Ive seen IR on EVERY LCD ive ever used and ive used alot being in the Graphic reproduction industry for over 13 years. The issue is a large amount of these LG panels seem to be defective, Samsung panels seem much better in this regard.

Gaaaah not this again. :D

Meh, I welcome disagreements! Woooot!

I've left my desktop with menu bar and dock open for almost 72 hours straight without ANY change when I was away for the weekend. I left my iMac on, and had just finished using Plex. The Plex Helper, for some peculiar reason, crashed in some funky way. This meant that my iMac thought it was "still in use," and thus never turned off my display/went to sleep. For the whole weekend.

How much IR did I have? Zero.

What the original poster is experiencing is simply a defective LCD. Defective. No two ways about it. Even if a little image retention IS possible with these LCDs, anything to the extent that this thread is showing is beyond normal, and 100% defective.

Sankel

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2012
Received an email today of Apple, that my iMac is repaired and ready for pickup. No further costs.

And I have a macbook pro 17", never had any issues with the display. And I think that if I chat for 20 minutes, there's absoluty no reason to have any display issues.

So I don't give a *!#$! how it's possible. I just want to use a properly iMac! It's costs me enough!! But happily everything is working fine now...

Yeroon

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2012
I have a 27" 2012 iMac with a 26" IPS screen (also from LG) next to it. The 26" has no image retention whatsoever. My 27" iMac does, as severe as the images in the first post (which is, IMHO, unforgivable when working in Photoshop e.g., because images are shown 'defective'). I got it repaired, but unfortunately my iMac still suffers from image retention. Less obvious than before though (the IR is now all blueish). I'm still doubting what to do... get it repaired once more or not. (it's my work machine so I can't really miss it for two weeks AND I have doubts they will fix it 100% next time). It's a shame for € 3000...

jeremy h

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
UK
My month old top of the line iMac (27") is developing similar problems.

I've just found this thread following a near hour long(!) call with Apple which resulted in advice to start using a screen saver more. (I did point out that I thrown out my After Dark floppy discs back in the mid nineties. :() It was all very frustrating as the guys I was talking to made great play of the fact this problem was unheard off, highly unusual and might well have a lot to do with the way I have set my energy saving settings.

Hmmm... It's looking like I'll have to become a shouty man at an Apple store to sort this out which is a shame.

osiris24x

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2007
My 27" iMac has the exact same problem. The larger LCD panels create a lot of heat, damaging the display over time and causing burn-in issues. The only resolution is to replace the panel, and possibly force the cooling fans to run higher on a regular basis, so it doesn't happen again. Frustrating, I know. :(

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
My 27" iMac has the exact same problem. The larger LCD panels create a lot of heat, damaging the display over time and causing burn-in issues. The only resolution is to replace the panel, and possibly force the cooling fans to run higher on a regular basis, so it doesn't happen again. Frustrating, I know. :(

I'm not sure what you mean by "over time." Over a few hours? Over a few months? Over a few years?

I think the thing to remember is that most iMac owners do not have this kind of image retention. I'm sure there are some people out there with image retention that is subtle and they perhaps don't even notice it. The sort which we're seeing in this thread is ANYTHING but subtle, and absolutely a defect outside the "standard" IPS+image retention possibilities.

Chippy99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
They seriously need to stop using 3 generation old LG panels. :mad:

100% agree with that. My new 2012 iMac has pretty poor screen uniformity with the left half of the screen much more yellow than the right. If I calibrate it with an i1 Display Pro, I get completely different profiles, depending on where on the screen I put the colorimeter. For colour critical work, it would be hopeless.

"Luckily" it also has dust behind the glass and so Apple are replacing it as being defective. I hope the replacement arriving tomorrow has a better screen.

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
I'm not sure what you mean by "over time." Over a few hours? Over a few months? Over a few years?

I think the thing to remember is that most iMac owners do not have this kind of image retention. I'm sure there are some people out there with image retention that is subtle and they perhaps don't even notice it. The sort which we're seeing in this thread is ANYTHING but subtle, and absolutely a defect outside the "standard" IPS+image retention possibilities.

William i see what your saying but why would apple post this then ( http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2807 ) if this issue is very unlikely? you know what i mean? they are obviously aware of it. and most of the people who has posted on this thread so far say they have experienced it. I know there are probably some that dont have it at all but... so far i just accepted as "thing" i dont ever notice it and when it shows up a bit it fades away within minutes... so idk.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
William i see what your saying but why would apple post this then ( http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2807 ) if this issue is very unlikely? you know what i mean? they are obviously aware of it. and most of the people who has posted on this thread so far say they have experienced it. I know there are probably some that dont have it at all but... so far i just accepted as "thing" i dont ever notice it and when it shows up a bit it fades away within minutes... so idk.

You'll see that from so many LCD manufacturers. It's called covering one's bases. I'm absolutely sure that Apple is NOT referring to what the OP is experiencing here. Mild IR isn't unusual. Uncommon, yes, but not unusual. What the OP is experiencing is quite simply a panel failure.

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
You'll see that from so many LCD manufacturers. It's called covering one's bases. I'm absolutely sure that Apple is NOT referring to what the OP is experiencing here. Mild IR isn't unusual. Uncommon, yes, but not unusual. What the OP is experiencing is quite simply a panel failure.

so what kind of "image persistance" is apple talking about then? could you should me an example. I just want to know the difference. Also what would you say to the rest of us who have and are experiencing similar things ? can it be all a coincidence?? especially me and all the machines ive tested?? theres no reason why i would be making this up william. Why would ALL the machines ive tested exhibit some sort of IR. Not to the degree of op's machine but to some mild degree.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.