Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

preyan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2007
South Africa
I really want to get an ATV but am wondering what your opinion is on an upgrade coming by end of the year?
I am willing to wait till December if need be but just wondering.

I know no one really knows but based on history, what's your take?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I really want to get an ATV but am wondering what your opinion is on an upgrade coming by end of the year?

It's really difficult to say as Apple has had no real schedule of releases for this device. You can review our Buyers Guide on the Apple TV and see the history of it.

I think if you want one now, go ahead and get one. No one knows if there is another one coming or if the supposed iTV will be released this year or at all.

Lance-AR

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2012
Little Rock, AR
If a new device comes out this year, I think it's safe to say it would happen when the holiday season products are released. If you it doesn't come by the end of October, I bet it won't come before March.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
It's also a safe bet to assume any new apple product will have the faster 802.11ac wireless. So if a new Apple TV does come out in the future it will probably have 802.11ac.

US Marine

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2010
Charleston, SC
I would just go for it. Even if they update it soon, I honestly can't think of anything they could add to make you regret buying the old one. It has Hulu, Netflix, iTunes, and AirPlay. Honestly what more could you want out of the device? A faster wireless capability? That is a bad selling point, as even when streaming full 1080 HD content, you aren't straining the bandwidth capabilities of the current 802.11a/b/g/n chip.

preyan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2007
South Africa
It's really difficult to say as Apple has had no real schedule of releases for this device. You can review our Buyers Guide on the Apple TV and see the history of it.

I think if you want one now, go ahead and get one. No one knows if there is another one coming or if the supposed iTV will be released this year or at all.

Actually, I had a look at it earlier this week, thanks.
After I posted this, I went to Wiki to see the release dates for all 3 generations, plus the minor update for the last one.

Very inconsistent to say the least when it comes to Apple TV. I really don't need it now and guess I'll just wait till end of this year. Though my mind is telling me, wait for the next generation...whenever that will be :D
I mean I've never had it all this time so its not like I'm missing something in my life that I use to have :D

Just that I'm gearing up for an expensive couple of months and am waiting for the next generation:
iPad Mini
MacBook Pro with Retina Display
Apple TV
...and if there is a new releases this year...iPod touch

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004

It is what it is.

It may change in the future, maybe it won't because contracts/licenses/TV Networks.

For the things it does now, it's better than my ROKU or WDTV, it's a no brainier.

The only exception would be if you have Amazon Prime, no NetFlix, and no iOS devices. Then maybe a Roku would be better? Still probably not but depends on individual usage.

arnabdas

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2013
this is probably the best time to buy Apple TV. WWDC announcements have concluded and there's nothing in the horizon as far as TV is concerned from Apple in the next few months. Also, considering Apple TV is $99, you can't go wrong with it. The functionality it offers is quite extraordinary, just the AirPlay and Mirroring makes it worth it.

MindsEye

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
If you can wait then i would wait, especially if one of your primary uses will be Airplay mirroring. The chip might see a modest upgrade but wireless and hopefully wired Gigabit speeds would be a huge performance gain for 1080p videos in particular.

If it's not updated this year then my guess would be early next year.

arnabdas

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2013
Here's the thing. Even if Apple TV upgrade brings in. 802.11ac wifi capability, you'll have to get hold of the very latest AirPort Extreme to make the whole setup work. Also your macbook and iPad and iPhone need to be compatible with that kind of wifi too. So you are probably looking at an investment upwards of $1000 to make the whole thing work at optimum level. Or you could just buy Apple TV now, experience it, and if you like the thing, upgrade devices later in the day. As they say, if you wanna wait for the next big thing in technology you'll be kept waiting forever.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
All I want is proper 4x3 support for iPad in education mirroring, and folders again for TV shows.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Buying recommendation for the AppleTV is ALWAYS buy.

At this point, new hardware that anyone has a line on can offer little to nothing over the existing model.

Buying more than one ATV? Now that becomes a whole nother animal. :)

scapegoat81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2012
Philly
I was thinking the same thing, but I went ahead & bought it anyway. If another comes out that's worth buying, ill just use this one on my secondary tv in my bedroom. It'll make my cord cutting decision a lot easier on my wife lol

Ralphalph

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2009
I would get it, it's a great device as it sits. Also, it's $99, and if a new one come out it would be easy to resell for about half that on ebay.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
I've been wondering too. After getting burned, buying a Apple Extreme just weeks before the new model was announced, I didn't want to buy the ATV just to have it superseded a couple weeks later. But I guess it IS only $95.

Mainly want it so I can do netflix streaming in the bedroom, and the Airplay functionality for a few shows I've purchased through iTunes.

I don't see buying a smart TV at this time, which is why I went about the cheapest 40" I could find earlier this year. I can see the "smart" tvs being very outdated pretty fast. Something will be the limiting factor. storage. RAM. CPU.

Might be part of the reason the long expected Apple Television hasn't been released. Is Apple ready to release a TV where people will still be able to use the smart capabilities 8-10 years later? The first Apple iPhones still work for voice/texting. But the other features make them pretty limited now. No current OS, RAM is limited, etc.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
I've been wondering too. After getting burned, buying a Apple Extreme just weeks before the new model was announced, I didn't want to buy the ATV just to have it superseded a couple weeks later. But I guess it IS only $95.

They were about to ratify a new WiFi standard so that one should have been easy to see coming.

Photics

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2011
I've been waiting to get an Apple TV because it doesn't have an app store yet. I don't know how long I'll have to wait for that. :rolleyes:

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I don't see buying a smart TV at this time, which is why I went about the cheapest 40" I could find earlier this year. I can see the "smart" tvs being very outdated pretty fast. Something will be the limiting factor. storage. RAM. CPU.
Doesn't really matter IMO as long as the TV has inputs. The screen won't be quickly outdated and you can always add a box. My Viera's a smart TV but I didn't buy it because it's a smart TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.