Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bowlerman625

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Chicago, IL area
and did you look back and wish you hadn't?

Ive had all the iPads since day one. For some crazy reason I'm leaning towards getting a Mini (WiFi and LTE) and giving my third gen iPad to my wife. I spent a considerable amount of time today using the Mini and saw nothing I would dislike with it. I keep thinking that switching from that great retina display to a Mini is a big downgrade......after using the mini in the Apple store today I do not think that is the case.

I'd like to hear some thoughts. I know I could just have both, but my wife has a first gen iPad so it makes sense to give it to her. She is not goofy like me about having the latest and greatest. I know a refresh is probably coming this fall...but that is not a big deal and I will take my chances on that.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
You will get use to the non retina screen after a few days , everything about the mini is perfect I don't mind the screen , just wish it had a little more ram

pat park

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2011
California
I went from ipad 4 to the mini and absolutely love the Mini. It's really the perfect size. I concur, do wish it had more ram. But otherwise its been great. The screen you'll get used to after a few days.

I had the ipad3 sold it to fund the ipad 4, but was really underwhelmed. The Mini was beckoning me. I could not resist.

macgeek88

Suspended
Jan 16, 2013
Illinois
I did and am so glad. The mini just feels right. It's impossible to type on the screen with big hands and so I have to thumb-type and it's hard to do on a fullsize iPad. I love the narrow borders, stereo speakers, and form factor for mobility.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
I have a Mini and 3. Use the Mini on the go, but still use my 3 in the house. Besides screen, the lack of ram in the mini is a pita, always reloading apps/tabs after a couple of dips into other screens.

A Mini with retina/more ram is a day one purchase and I'll sell both current iPads then. Use laptops/desktops for productivity. Really don't know how people cope with just an iPad - I love mine, wouldnt want to be without it, but there's a billion things it either doesn't do or laptops do a lot better/more efficiently.

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
I went from a 3 to a Mini. Ten days later the Mini went back to Apple and I went back to my 3. Don't get me wrong I love the form factor of the Mini but I just prefer the larger screen size for the way I use my iPad. I do lesson research and teach form my iPad. I can type pretty fast on the iPad 3 on screen keyboard but I didn't like the size of the Mini's keyboard for the amount of typing that I do. I thought about getting an Bluetooth keyboard for the Mini but that changes the form factor. So I stayed with my 3.

Batavian

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
I went from a 3 to a Mini. Ten days later the Mini went back to Apple and I went back to my 3. Don't get me wrong I love the form factor of the Mini but I just prefer the larger screen size for the way I use my iPad. I do lesson research and teach form my iPad. I can type pretty fast on the iPad 3 on screen keyboard but I didn't like the size of the Mini's keyboard for the amount of typing that I do. I thought about getting an Bluetooth keyboard for the Mini but that changes the form factor. So I stayed with my 3.

I see more people doing this. The bigger screen and retina trump form factor. While its hardly scientific, I've never seen a Mini "in the wild". While I see iPads everywhere I travel.

Not proselytizing, but everyone has different needs. Nothing wrong with the Mini. But I type a lot, have big fingers, like to watch videos and read. And the bigger screen helps me do all that.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
and did you look back and wish you hadn't?
Some did and some didn't. Preferences vary from person to person so polling won't tell you anything about what you will or won't prefer. You can't beat first hand experience for answering questions like this. You have a return period. Use it and decide before it runs out.

bursthead

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
Mini for life.

The only thing I would love even more is retina and cellular (sms+call) support. That way I wouldn't need any other device. If i needed portability I could do a swap into my iphone.

Akack

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2011
USA
Have 3rd gen ipad and picked up a mini last week to play with.

Pros mini:
- light weight and compact

Cons mini:
-non retina display. This is a huge con TO ME since I do mainly web browsing on the ipad and the blurry text was a no go. Sorry I'm just too spoiled by the retina display.

Retuned the mini a few days ago. Retina display is more important for me than mini form factor. Now once apple comes out with a mini with retina......I'll have credit card ready.....

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I did and no regrets. For me the lighter weight and smaller form factor were big selling points, and I don't even miss the retina display one bit.

DollaTwentyFive

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2010
Parts Unknown
I picked up a mini but kept my 3. No doubt the 3 is a little snappier and the screen is obviously better. Still, the size of the mini is amazing and I find myself reaching for the mini more than the 3 or my iPhone.

Can't wait for the alleged retina mini.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Had an ipad 3, bought the mini. I found myself using the mini 99% of the time. Eventually I just sold my iPad3. My only regret was not getting the LTE model :[

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
Have both a mini and a big iPad, much prefer the big iPad. Partly because of retina, partly because the screen is larger. All that real estate is much nicer.

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
I almost went to a mini but decided to just to with an iPad 3. If I'm in a situation where an iPad 4 is too bit I have my iPhone 5. Otherwise I'll use my iPad 4.

scottw324

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
I am in the process now of doing that. Actually have been using the mini for a few days now and so far love it. Except for doing some comparisons between the two I haven't used the 3 in the last week. Yes the screen could be better and it could have more RAM but it does the job rather well with what it has and so far I am not disappointed. I find that the screen only kind of sucks when reading font. Otherwise it looks fine. Like others said you get used to it.

The size and weight are perfect for me. I can fit it in my cargo pants pocket easily. My ipad 3 is going to my wife, who has an iPad 2 and I am going to resell the iPad 2 to pay for the iPad mini. So in the end I break even for the most part. When the new mini comes out and it happens to spark my interest I might upgrade and either resell this mini or give it to my 5 yr old for her games.

mrcam216

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2011
I was very close to. An old co-worker had one and I loved how light and portable it was. But then I thought to myself, I have an iPhone 5 and the mini is almost the size of the Samsung note. Lol. (That's what my wife said)
But my main reason for not switching is because I use mine for business. It's easier for clients to sign contracts and view my port on this screen. (Ipad 4)
Now if I just had money to blow, I'd get a mini also, but just doesn't make sense for me at this time.

scottw324

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
I was very close to. An old co-worker had one and I loved how light and portable it was. But then I thought to myself, I have an iPhone 5 and the mini is almost the size of the Samsung note. Lol. (That's what my wife said)
But my main reason for not switching is because I use mine for business. It's easier for clients to sign contracts and view my port on this screen. (Ipad 4)
Now if I just had money to blow, I'd get a mini also, but just doesn't make sense for me at this time.

To each their own. I didn't think I would switch from an iPad 3 but after kind of playing with the iPad mini for about a week now I don't think I want to go back. I will definitely miss the retina screen and maybe the additional RAM but so far I haven't run into any RAM problems. Some of the webpages reloading occasionally is fine with me not much different than using my iPad 3. When the next version of the iPad mini comes out if it comes with a retina screen I may go ahead and upgrade at that point.

Last edited:

scottw324

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
Also, the version of iOS that comes on the mini is able to be jail broken so I didn't lose any of my functionality going from my iPad 3 to the Mini. Same tweaks installed. Same rear facing camera, HD front facing camera infact instead of the one in the iPad 3.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
The original iPad as a product didn't really "grow up" until the iPad 2. I feel the same way about the Mini; it hasn't "grown up" yet.

I've used them before; the resolution feels low and they are somewhat slow. I have a feeling when the Mini gets updated, it will be an amazing product just like the iPad 2 was.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.