Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
We'll be downloading it first hand and get it tested out :p - From HackerWayne & MLForAll (MLPostFactor)

What we know so far.

- Won't work with anything that doesn't run Mountain Lion.
- EFI64 only, just like 10.8.
- 64-bit support for older Macs (that currently runs MLPFv0.3) is not going to be easy as many things has changed.

SUCCESS!!! Maverick on old 2006 iMac!! Pics up later.

Got it working on X3100 based MacBooks too. Tons of issues. Bugs and glitches everywhere and graphics doesn't quite work yet. Its gonna be like how MLPF started at first. So be patient. :)

Attachments

• BMowXSACEAEq8E2.png
    BMowXSACEAEq8E2.png
    327.5 KB · Views: 36,596
Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[MOD NOTE]
Lets keep not start asking for links to Mavericks, that violates the warez rules we have in place

b]Warez/Serials/Keys.[/b] Do not post software serial numbers or keys or refer people to specific websites, software, or techniques whose purpose is to break or bypass software licensing methods, distribute cracks, or obtain or use commercial software or media in violation of its license and/or for copyright violation. Do not ask for or give such help.

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
I would like to point out that I myself am a paying developer and got my copy downloaded and installed and would like to see if it would work on a mac pro 1,1

it feels sorta like snow leopard

street.cory

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
I would like to point out that I myself am a paying developer and got my copy downloaded and installed and would like to see if it would work on a mac pro 1,1

it feels sorta like snow leopard

If Mavericks feels like Snow Leopard, I will kiss Craig Federighi on the mouth.

I miss Snow Leopard.

Last edited:

Colpeas

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Rep.
Just hypothetically - wouldn't it be possible to run Mavericks at least on older MacPros and XServes if they were fitted with a proper video card? I mean - using some kind on Chameleon bootloader or whatever to boot directly to 64-bit...

tpho

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2012
Since it uses OpenGL 4.1 this probably means the end of support for Pre-2007ish Macbooks.

batmanofzurenar

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2013
You guys should probably just stick with the Chameleon method as it's been a piece of cake for me. I used it to install ML a year ago, (Although I do admit I did have trouble doing so at first) and it's been doing me fine ever since. OS updates and all install properly too. Now when OS X Mavericks was available all I had to do was fire up Chameleon wizard and update the boot loader, create a bootable Mavericks Install disc, and install the system. every things working fine out of the box. Took me no more than an hour.

EDIT: forgot to mention this was all done on my Mac Pro 1,1 /w AMD Radeon 6870 (I think it's a 6870 - need to check later)

EDIT 2: Also, I wouldn't recommend using the Chameleon method if you use BootCamp / have Windows installed. Chameleon and the Windows boot loader can make some funky stuff happen when put in the same room if your not careful 0_o

Last edited:

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
You guys should probably just stick with the Chameleon method as it's been a piece of cake for me. I used it to install ML a year ago, (Although I do admit I did have trouble doing so at first) and it's been doing me fine ever since. OS updates and all install properly too. Now when OS X Mavericks was available all I had to do was fire up Chameleon wizard and update the boot loader, create a bootable Mavericks Install disc, and install the system. every things working fine out of the box. Took me no more than an hour.

EDIT: forgot to mention this was all done on my Mac Pro 1,1 /w AMD Radeon 6870 (I think it's a 6870 - need to check later)

EDIT 2: Also, I wouldn't recommend using the Chameleon method if you use BootCamp / have Windows installed. Chameleon and the Windows boot loader can make some funky stuff happen when put in the same room if your not careful 0_o

You forgot about MacBook, iMac and MacBook Pro users. :p

EDIT: Mac Minis too.

LarmanF

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2013
Currently I'm running a mid-2008 iMac, so will presumable I'll be able to upgrade to Mavericks?

Also, I don't currently have Mountain Lion, but if it's required for an update to Mavericks is it worth getting it now and making good use of it until Mavericks is released, instead of buying both OS updates one straight after the other?

tpho

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2012
Oh really? nevermind. Let the picture explain it for you.

So you got the right resolution on your Macbook and a translucent menu bar. I don't see how that translates to OpenGL 4 support... unless the OpenGL 4 components of the OS are optional.:confused:

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi

MacPro1,1 user here too. I'll need to try your recommendations. That'd be awesome.

Do you know if my card will work/is supported? (open to anyone to answer.)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-06-14 at 11.28.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-06-14 at 11.28.54 AM.png
    19.5 KB · Views: 163,182

teameurox

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2010

What did you update on Chameleon? I'm running a 1,1 upgraded to 2,1 firmware with x5355's and dual ati 5770's. I'm in the process of redoing my ML setup and Chameleon boot loader since I did a clone copy to get Mountain Lion running.(I'm starting from scratch so I can have clean installs ran into SMC issues from MBP install on the mac pro) Did you follow Jabbawok's guide for setting it up?

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
What did you update on Chameleon? I'm running a 1,1 upgraded to 2,1 firmware with x5355's and dual ati 5770's. I'm in the process of redoing my ML setup and Chameleon boot loader since I did a clone copy to get Mountain Lion running.(I'm starting from scratch so I can have clean installs ran into SMC issues from MBP install on the mac pro) Did you follow Jabbawok's guide for setting it up?

I might have misunderstood what you were saying, but if you were "redoing your ML setup" why don't you use MLPF instead of chameleon?

batmanofzurenar

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2013
You forgot about MacBook, iMac and MacBook Pro users. :p

EDIT: Mac Minis too.

lol - You do have a point XD

----------

MacPro1,1 user here too. I'll need to try your recommendations. That'd be awesome.

Do you know if my card will work/is supported? (open to anyone to answer.)

Not sure, although it seems like people are having problems with that card on the PC side of the hackintosh community. Only way to know for sure is to test it yourself I guess.. unless you have another lying anywhere.

----------

I used Jabbawok's guide to install ML, then updated Chameleon to the newest version and replaced my SMBIOS with a Mac Pro 4,1 one using "Chameleon Wizard". After that I Installed Mavericks (CLEAN INSTALL, formatted Macintosh HD), and that was it.

I'm analyzing everything on my system and checking what EXACTLY I did to see if I can write some sort of a tutorial for you guys.

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
I used Jabbawok's guide to install ML, then updated Chameleon to the newest version and replaced my SMBIOS with a Mac Pro 4,1 one using "Chameleon Wizard". After that I Installed Mavericks (CLEAN INSTALL, formatted Macintosh HD), and that was it.

A fellow owner of a Mac Pro 1,1 reported in Jabbawok's blog that his newly installed Mavericks lacks sound and can't handle his SATA-connected Blu-ray recorder (or player?). He also reports his Mac won't wake up from sleep (I myself experience this in ML, but I don't actually care). Have you experienced such shortcomings?

batmanofzurenar

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2013
A fellow owner of a Mac Pro 1,1 reported in Jabbawok's blog that his newly installed Mavericks lacks sound and can't handle his SATA-connected Blu-ray recorder (or player?). He also reports his Mac won't wake up from sleep (I myself experience this in ML, but I don't actually care). Have you experienced such shortcomings?

Havent experienced any of those, although I never tried connect my Blu-ray drive to my Mac Pro 1,1 so I can't comment on that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.