Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pcollins590

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
Hey guys,

I was planning on purchasing a new 27" iMac with the maxed out config:

3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
32GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x8GB
3TB Fusion Drive
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB

I will be definitely be putting it through some gaming with bootcamp.

One of the games I really look forward to getting my hands on is ARMA3.

Anyone playing this on the new iMacs and getting it to run at very high settings? I Just want to know if the GPU can handle the game?

-Thanks!

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
I gave the alpha a quick go a few weeks ago at native resolution (with the 680MX) and there's no way you're going to be running the highest settings. I originally tried to crank it up but it was in the 20's. I think I turned AA off and turned a few things down and got around 40 but I can't be sure. I literally played around for 5 minutes. I'll have a look again tonight if I get chance.

LouisLeLou

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2010
Prague, Czech Republic
Did a quick search as I'm also interested, and found this.

I think native 1440p may be a bit ambitious for this game to be honest; this guy is running it at 1080p with the 675MX. Bear in mind you'd get better performance at 1080p than him (average of 40 apparently, not too bad) seeing as you're going for the 680MX.

Last edited:

pcollins590

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
Thanks guys!

Yeah I figured it was going to be asking a little much to have this game perform on topped out settings.

@eatherich- if you could post or help with any more info that would be awesome as you have the 680mx. I'm still curious what max settings could be achieved when there is a lot of action going in the game (explosions/smoke/a lot of units)

If anyone has any footage or info, keep it coming...!

janknet

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2012
I have the Alpha Version and played the Showcase Missions.
I can run it at 1440p with all graphic Settings maxed out (Ultra) and Visibility at 2500 and Shadows at 100. SSAA 2x are activated
I get about 25-30fps. Sometimes i have frame drops, but this Game is still Alpha-Version.
I have the i5 3,2ghz and the 680mx are overclocked with +250mhz in MSI Afterburner!
I played not much multiplayer but i think in multiplayer i must set down the ultra settings.
I think this game runs better with the i7 because its a very CPU heavy game!

Edit:
I have locked the vsync at 30fps via NVIDIA driver! So it is possible to become more than 30fps!

benjamwes

macrumors member
May 7, 2013
UK
How do you think it would run on a 21.5"iMac with 3.1GHz i7, 16GB RAM, Fusion Drive and GT 650M 512MB graphics card?

janknet

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2012
The 650 isn't good! I think you have to lower the settings!
But i think you can run it!

Sankel

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2012
Why 32 gb ram? I first wanted that to. Now have 8gb and everything is working prettay fine.

pcollins590

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
@janknet- thanx! That gives me some hope!

I haven't bought a new comp in 8 yrs, my dell from 2003 finally died about a year ago....nothing but this trusty old iPad since than.

Which brings me to @ sankel- I figured 32gb would take me years into the future in terms of sustainability....perhaps boosts the performance of the 680mx to a degree when needed?

I know the card will be outdated within the next 3-4 years but if you guys give me some proof that I will be able to game for next few years without having to compromise fidelity toooo much than I get closer to purchasing this iMac!

Any other arma3 experiences/thoughts?

pcollins590

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
Guys, do think 32gb will make much of a difference with bootcamp/gaming, or should I just go with the 16gb config?

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
I'm not aware of any games that use more than 8GB RAM. As mentioned, go for the 8GB from Apple and upgrade yourself. I went with a 16GB kit and I'm really pleased with it.

pcollins590

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
Thanks guys good to know!

@eattherich- do you have any more experience with arma3 game play you can share, it would be much appreciated! You said you were getting 40fps, and turning things down. I saw in your profile that you might have a maxed out 27" but not sure. If so, I would know exactly what to expect.

thebritishguy

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2011
Bootcamp will only use your HDD drive not your fusion/SSD and if your used to SSD speeds it can be frustrating waiting for games to load

If you can afford and have your heart set on 32GB its worth trying to create a decent size Ramdisk - I have created a 22 GB one in Bootcamp.

Use it for your frequently played games (you can get 2-4 games on there dependent on the size of the install) and watch the level load times drop e.g I am always first to load in on BlackOps2!! :)

Word of warning though, it adds significantly to your windows startup and shutdown times to load/commit your Ramdisk from/to your HDD.

I use Dataram's Ramdisk product

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
Thanks guys good to know!

@eattherich- do you have any more experience with arma3 game play you can share, it would be much appreciated! You said you were getting 40fps, and turning things down. I saw in your profile that you might have a maxed out 27" but not sure. If so, I would know exactly what to expect.

I'll have a look tonight if I get chance. I have the 3.4GHz i7, 680MX, 1TB Fusion Drive and 16GB RAM and I'm running Windows 8 via Boot Camp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.