Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mdwall

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
Long story short someone took my iPod from my truck about a month ago. Perusing CL this AM I see someone offering one that fits its description down the number of songs and the case I had on it. I'm trying to get some pictures so I can confirm but provided my gut feeling is correct; it may just be my lost one... My question is how would you all handle that? I was planning to set up a meet, verify the serial number and reclaim it. Any tips or pointers? Obviously I would probably have to borrow the wife's car since if he stole it from my truck a large blue truck with a grille guard would probably be memorable. I don't suppose the police would even arrange to meet me there but I guess I could threaten with calling them provided my hunch is correct....

james1758

macrumors regular
May 26, 2013
UK
I'd say send a message asking for a serial number and make up some believable excuse why you need it, as opposed to arranging a meet to start with?

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2012
Quite frankly if you can confirm serial numbers (say to check warranty status or something?) I would in fact involve the police.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
The guy will no doubt claim he bought it off somebody rather than stole it. Where is he selling it? If it's on ebay, just buy it. Then you can claim the money back and report him. Some guy did it on here a month or so ago with his MacBook I think.

Mdwall

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
It's local (and in the same general area of town where I live. I sent a message asking for pics and a serial number "so I can check the warranty info";) We'll see where it goes from there. Police didn't seem to interested when I called earlier to ask them.

Mdwall

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
A little update, I got a pic of the front....it has a zagg shield on it and I can recognize my work a mile away as the bottom part of the screen has a bot of an air bubble from my install attemp. I am almost 99% sure it's mine. Still haven't gotten that serial # though.

Nyy8

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2011
New England
Now, how do you the police know it is in fact "your" iPod? You can tell it is your iPod, and are fairly confident.

But you are going to need some type of "proof" when you get the police involved. Might be a odd question, do you have your receipt lying around? or maybe a warranty paper showing the serial number?

Mdwall

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
Now, how do you the police know it is in fact "your" iPod? You can tell it is your iPod, and are fairly confident.

But you are going to need some type of "proof" when you get the police involved. Might be a odd question, do you have your receipt lying around? or maybe a warranty paper showing the serial number?

I have the box and its registered on my applie I'd online, and I gave them the serial when I filed the report.

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2012
Every heard "squeaky wheel gets the grease"?

As long as you can prove BEYOND REASONABLE DOUBT that it is your ipod (aka you have your serial documented and he sends you a matching one) just keep calling police or use a connection or something. Last thing you want is a confrontation with the guy to go poorly.

Mdwall

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
Well he took the posting down but has quite a few other items listed using his phone number..... Also has an address on one of them which is oddly enough two blocks away. Lets see what the sheriff has to say about it tomorrow

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
We had an iPad stolen from us about two weeks ago ( it had proprietary data ). I locked it remotely and changed all the passwords ( it was turned off, so I could not immediately locate it ).

Two days after the reported theft, I found it via iCloud. I contacted the police ( they were already aware ) and they caught the thief about 10 minutes after I called them with the iPad's location, right after he sold it to another person.

The thief is now sitting in jail and awaiting his trial and two felonies. We have not recovered, nor expect to recover the now wiped device.

Too bad we didn't have iOS7 to brick it. Oh well.

Mdwall

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
Well 2 days later and after leaving multiple messages with the Sheriff's department; still no callback from them. After reading the postings its pretty apparent that it is a kid (which I originally thought since my GPS was sitting next to the iPod in my truck and wasn;'t taken) because he states that he has to meet near his house because he doesn't have a vehicle....
Hope the police get back with me soon. Dunno if it will help me out but if he gets caught; at least maybe someone will get their stuff back.

Mdwall

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
Well finally got a detective to return my call yesterday. Explained the situation and the fact that the guy has several other items posted. He seemed to agree it sounds like someone may be selling stolen goods. Give him the addy and phone number and he said he would check it out Monday. Hopefully he finds something out. I really doubt I recover it but if they bust the gig maybe some of the other stuff can be returned to its rightful owners.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Well finally got a detective to return my call yesterday. Explained the situation and the fact that the guy has several other items posted. He seemed to agree it sounds like someone may be selling stolen goods. Give him the addy and phone number and he said he would check it out Monday. Hopefully he finds something out. I really doubt I recover it but if they bust the gig maybe some of the other stuff can be returned to its rightful owners.

Glad they finally called you back. Hope all the evidence isn't sold by Monday.

Mdwall

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
Glad they finally called you back. Hope all the evidence isn't sold by Monday.

Well, if the listings are any indication; none of the other stuff has moved at all.... I think he took down the iPod because he may have figured out who I was. Since he also stole an inactivated debit card with my name on it. I should have thought about that before the contact onslaught

Mdwall

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
Well looks like I've hit a dead end. The detective called the other day and told me he talked to the mom. She acted like she didn't know anything or who the number was for. He suggested she call it but she refused.... Said that I should just keep checking and if it pops back up to call and they would arrange for a UC to try and meet with him and arrest him. So I guess that concludes my tale for now.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Well looks like I've hit a dead end. The detective called the other day and told me he talked to the mom. She acted like she didn't know anything or who the number was for. He suggested she call it but she refused.... Said that I should just keep checking and if it pops back up to call and they would arrange for a UC to try and meet with him and arrest him. So I guess that concludes my tale for now.

I just saw this thread and was hoping that, since its a month old, there would have been a happy conclusion. I'm kind of bummed out to read that nothing positive really happened after a month. :(

Edit: Just wondering, now that you know its a mom and kid, and since you know their phone number (and address), maybe you could contact the mom, and explain the situation to her (and provide her your serial number as proof so she can verify). I don't know how safe this approach would be though in person, since you really can't tell what kind of people they might be, so via phone would probably be the best way initially.

Grmnracing

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2011
When my wife's iPhone was stolen we had the location on find my friends/ find my iPhone. We called the local police dept. The phone was stollen in our town and was still in our town. The police only wanted a report filed and said there was nothing they could do about it. I took matters into my own hands and ended up getting the phone back. No one was hurt and no charges were pressed. The thief got scared and when they answered the phone and I told them THEIR location.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Yeah, if I knew their address they'd have been paid a little visit to by now :p

Seriously though, I'd go and have a chat with them. Just be polite, and if they're decent human beings they should understand.

Of course, if their not, then..... :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.