Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Its should be pretty easy based on the connector, physical size, and kind of screen.

It's not so easy to tell apart the 2 and 3.

1 = noticeably thicker and heavier
2 = thinner body than the 1
3 = same body as 2, retina screen, just a tad heavier
4 = lightning connector

If you have a 2 or 3, and you don't have another iPad to compare, it can be hard to tell whether you have a retina screen or not.

Entopia7

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
Does your ipad have a lightning port? Lighting ports are only present on the 4th generation ipad and ipad mini.

Does your ipad have a retina display as well as a dock connector? 3rd generation ipad.

Does your ipad have a lower resolution screen as well as a dock connector? 2nd generation ipad.

Is your ipad thicker than most pictures of iPads you've seen? 1st generation ipad.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK

1 = noticeably thicker and heavier
2 = thinner body than the 1
3 = same body as 2, retina screen, just a tad heavier
4 = lightning connector

If you have a 2 or 3, and you don't have another iPad to compare, it can be hard to tell whether you have a retina screen or not.

Wouldn't whether you have Siri or not tell you whether you have a 2 or 3?

preyan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2007
South Africa
Many thanks for the smart answers :D
Firstly, I know personally which one I have but was wondering if a user bought one and in time, they don't know which generation they have.

Secondly, for the people asking how does it look like, doesn't feel lighter, etc. The assumption you made is I had or have another iPad to compare with. The normal household are not techno geeks and won't know which generation they have. Lightning port is an indication you have the current generation but what happens after a couple generations but still with lightning port? And assuming, like version 3 and 4, the outside looks the same.

I know the model number has an algorithm that determines when it was manufactured etc though it would be nice to just to settings to see the generation number or even month and year manufactured to get an idea :confused:

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
Wouldn't whether you have Siri or not tell you whether you have a 2 or 3?

I just asked Siri "what type of iPad is this?" and she said, "would you like me to search the web for right handedness?" So that hint might not work :eek:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I just asked Siri "what type of iPad is this?" and she said, "would you like me to search the web for right handedness?" So that hint might not work :eek:

Not sure if you are jokingly but in case you aren't, the poster was pointing out iPad 2 doesn't have Siri. So if you have an iPad you aren't sure is a 2 or 3, push and hold the home button, and of nothing happens, you have a 2.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA

I don't agree. I had the 2 and 3:
2 is lighter and thinner - very easy to feel difference
3's retina display (just the icons) speaks for itself and very easy to decipher

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
Very easy imo.
1st generation is the thickest and literally looks like a tablet (square edges).
2nd gen is the thinnest
3rd gen has the dock and is a bit thicker than the 2nd
4rth gen has lightning
I probably would not be able to tell the diff between retina and non-retina without having both in front of me.

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
The first gen looks different from the others. Second doesn't have siri. Third has old connecter, but has siri. Forth has lightning connecter.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
Many thanks for the smart answers :D
Firstly, I know personally which one I have but was wondering if a user bought one and in time, they don't know which generation they have.

Secondly, for the people asking how does it look like, doesn't feel lighter, etc. The assumption you made is I had or have another iPad to compare with. The normal household are not techno geeks and won't know which generation they have. Lightning port is an indication you have the current generation but what happens after a couple generations but still with lightning port? And assuming, like version 3 and 4, the outside looks the same.

I know the model number has an algorithm that determines when it was manufactured etc though it would be nice to just to settings to see the generation number or even month and year manufactured to get an idea :confused:

Thickness, schmickness. Everyone is making this needlessly complicated.

Does it have a camera? If not, then it's 1st Gen.
If it has a camera but no retina (hold it a few inches from your face, and if you see dots then it's not retina) it's 2nd Gen.
Retina and 30-pin connector - 3rd Gen
Retina and Thunderbold - 4th Gen.

If you can't identify it by sight in the first 15 seconds then you aren't trying.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I don't agree. I had the 2 and 3:
2 is lighter and thinner - very easy to feel difference
3's retina display (just the icons) speaks for itself and very easy to decipher

The difference is easy to tell because you have them both, so you can compare. If you had only one, it would be hard to tell.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
:confused:
Is there any way, under settings, of knowing which generation you have? :confused:
In "Settings->General->About" get the model number and enter it in the search box at the Abt website - it's a store, but they seem to include the discontinued products. Note that the model should be 8 characters and end in an "A" whether or not it's shown on the iOS device. Do not include the "/" as part of the model number.

paulbennett95

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
Long Island, NY
I'm sure there is a way to do it in Settings buuuut

iPad 1: Non-retina and no camera
iPad 2: Non-retina with camera
iPad 3: Retina with 30-pin dock connector
iPad 4: Retina with Lightning Connector

:)

preyan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2007
South Africa
I'm sure there is a way to do it in Settings buuuut

iPad 1: Non-retina and no camera
iPad 2: Non-retina with camera
iPad 3: Retina with 30-pin dock connector
iPad 4: Retina with Lightning Connector

:)

And what happens when #5 has retina and lightning connector? With no other physical attribute difference to the human eye (such as a better camera lens)?

You people don't get it. Without touching and feeling, one will not know! :rolleyes:

paulbennett95

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
Long Island, NY
And what happens when #5 has retina and lightning connector? With no other physical attribute difference to the human eye (such as a better camera lens)?

You people don't get it. Without touching and feeling, one will not know! :rolleyes:

iPad 5 is supposed to have a different build, similar to the Mini. But that's not for another few months so no need to speculate on nothing... :rolleyes:

rcp27

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
Just turn it over. On the back, first and 4th generation say "iPad", 2nd says "iPad 2" and third says "iPad 3". The difference between 1st and 4th is the lightning connector.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
Just turn it over. On the back, first and 4th generation say "iPad", 2nd says "iPad 2" and third says "iPad 3". The difference between 1st and 4th is the lightning connector.

I'm pretty sure they all say "iPad". Same with all generations of "iPhone".

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
iPad 1 - beastly
iPad 2 - 30-pin, looks different than iPad 1
iPad 3 - 30-pin, Retina
iPad 4 - Lightening, Retina

Or check in the About section.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here

Except the 5th generation iPad is expected to look quite different.

I just think this is a really odd thing to worry about. If you're going to buy a new iPad, you either A) want the newest iPad, B) want the cheapest iPad, or C) know nothing about iPads and just want an iPad. In which case you're only worrying about the 2, the 4, and the mini. All of which have distinct differences.

If you receive an iPad as a gift... well, it's a gift. The person that bought it for you should be able to tell you which kind of iPad it is if you don't feel like spending a couple minutes looking it up.

Is it a mild inconvenience? Yes. But it's not a big enough deal to raise a stink over.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.