Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

J. J.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
  • On June 2010 Apple presented the iPhone 4 and the 4th generation iPod Touch.
  • On October 2011 Apple presented the iPhone 4S but it didn't show any new iPod Touch.
  • On September 2012 Apple presented the iPhone 5 (6th generation iPhone) and the 5th generation iPod Touch.

What about September/October 2013?

And should I wait for the 6g or buy the 5g?

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
Maybe and maybe not.

If they release a 128 or 256gb model with 1gb of RAM then I'll upgrade my 64gb 5 gen.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
I doubt it with the iPhone 5S but when the iPhone 6 comes out then there will be a iPod Touch 6. I think new touches comes out every two years with phones coming out every year with numbers then S versions.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
If you need the Touch, buy it now. The 5th gen Touch is very good. If anything, there will only be minor changes to the 5th gen (color, etc) this fall.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I doubt it with the iPhone 5S but when the iPhone 6 comes out then there will be a iPod Touch 6. I think new touches comes out every two years with phones coming out every year with numbers then S versions.
Actually Apple only skipped one year of updating the iPod touch. So as I have said elsewhere, it is likely that Apple will update it this year but it may not be a major update. Or of course they could skip a year again, but I deem that unlikely.

Virginaustralia

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2013
I think it will be like they updated the ipod touch 4 to the 4 ver. 2. maybe an 8MP camera and a6 single core chip??

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
I agree with others that it's doubtful they'll update it this year - they just released a new version, albeit it's entry level, but it is a new model. If they were planning on introducing a new version, why not wait till then to release the new entry model? Also, if they release a new model in the autumn, the new 16GB entry model would a generation behind in specs, where now, it's the same.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
I agree with others that it's doubtful they'll update it this year - they just released a new version, albeit it's entry level, but it is a new model. If they were planning on introducing a new version, why not wait till then to release the new entry model? Also, if they release a new model in the autumn, the new 16GB entry model would a generation behind in specs, where now, it's the same.
The “new” model (the 5G without the camera) replaces the iPod Touch 4G, which is incompatible with iOS 7 and newer. All 5G iPod Touch devices (with and without camera) are compatible with iOS 7.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
The “new” model (the 5G without the camera) replaces the iPod Touch 4G, which is incompatible with iOS 7 and newer. All 5G iPod Touch devices (with and without camera) are compatible with iOS 7.

I hope it runs nice and smooth. It did when i tried beta 1 which i hated due to all the bugs.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

chekz0414

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
FL
I think Apple could introduce a new iPod touch this year, if they bring 128GB I will gladly upgrade my 5th gen 64GB. I spoke to Phil Schiller near the end of 2012 by email complaining about the iPod touch missing battery percentage and it's ALS, I think it is plausible that a new model with an A6, 8MP (4S camera) and 1.3GHz, 1GB RAM, CAN release. The iPhone 5S would have better stats, but the iPod touch will get support into iOS 9 possibly.Like Mac Hardware, I think there will be a time when an iOS device will have computer like stats and you won't have to upgrade for awhile just like in the Mac, meaning you'll have support for a LONG time. iOS is still 32-bit, once we reach devices with 4GB RAM (iPad is likely first) and the OS goes 64-bit, devices will be updated less, and have more longevity.

Nyy8

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2011
New England
I hope.... 5G is nice and all. But what about iOS 8? We all know as we get up and up in the iOSes, 512MB vs 1GB (iP5) is going to show.

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
Wait, by pattern order it must be released this year:
The first iPod Touch was compatible up to iOS 3
The second iPod Touch was compatible up to iOS 4
The third iPod Touch was compatible up to iOS 5
The fourth iPod Touch was compatible up to iOS 6
So, why wouldn't the fifth be compatible with up to iOS 7? That's why they should release the 6th a year before iOS 8 come.

iDominic

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2013
Garden City, MI
I highly doubt it. They may do minor approvements to the 5th Generations. It seems like Apple likes using the iPods as experiments for future iPhones. I would go ahead and buy the 5th generation.

hagr182

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2010
With the 16 gig all I can see coming is maybe a higher capacity touch, perhaps 128 gigs. I want my ipod now! but with september so close, I will wait. Part of me remains hopeful for gen 6 tough!

chekz0414

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
FL
I wonder what it is about my 4g that won't accept iOS7. The current iOS UI is crap, but I don't think I can justify a single upgrade just for the OS.

The 4th gen cannot possibly run iOS 7 with its lack of RAM, even the iPhone 4 doesn't get all the features, Animated Weather is not in the iPhone 4 weather app. Dynamic Wallpapers would also make the 4th gen a huge lag fest. Also Parallax. The Device struggles with FaceBook and Tumblr on iOS 6, if it cannot even handle apps properly on iOS 6, it sure won't get the next update.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
If you need the Touch, buy it now. The 5th gen Touch is very good. If anything, there will only be minor changes to the 5th gen (color, etc) this fall.

I just bought a 5G 64GB iPod touch from the refurb store, it's worth considering.

But really I doubt very much they'll change it beside bumping the processor and maybe adding a 128GB version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.