Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 25, 2012
I read article saying ios 7 will bring facetime audio, for audio calls vs. video, sounds similar to the wifi calling feature tmobile phones advertise. I know the iphone 5 now doesn't currently support wifi calling, anyone think the new ios 7 would fix this?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
It can be used to call only other FaceTime devices. Probably only devices that support audio only calls.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
I know the iphone 5 now doesn't currently support wifi calling, anyone think the new ios 7 would fix this?

There are plenty of VoIP apps that let any iPhone back to the original model make calls over wifi.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 25, 2012
oh so what's the feature of wifi calling tmobile advertises then? Is it truly a feature, or are there free apps out there that do the same thing?

Dryland

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2010
I don't think the iPhone will do wifi calling anytime soon. Tmobile is the only carrier offering the service. Apple would have to code this into the OS. I could be wrong and it will be introduced during the announcement in the fall. Talkatone will allow you to do wifi calling using google voice. I make calls from my iPad using it as I get poor service in the house. Apple could extend FaceTime audio to non FaceTime numbers. That would be the closest to wifi calling without a 3rd party app. For that matter, tmobile could introduce an app for wifi calling.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
It only works with other iOS 7 devices.

Thus the "only devices that support audio only calls." It may also support the Mac OS X FaceTime app if it gets an update. However, looking at how FaceTime works and how the OS X and iOS versions of it get their settings and updates almost dynamically from Apple, it could be enabled on all devices once iOS 7 is released. All Apple needs to do is change a boolean value in the configuration file FaceTime downloads automatically every few days to yes/true and it'd work. The value's name is "AllowAudioOnlyCalls". A boolean value that's been in the FaceTime settings since iOS 4.0.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Thus the "only devices that support audio only calls." It may also support the Mac OS X FaceTime app if it gets an update. However, looking at how FaceTime works and how the OS X and iOS versions of it get their settings and updates almost dynamically from Apple, it could be enabled on all devices once iOS 7 is released. All Apple needs to do is change a boolean value in the configuration file FaceTime downloads automatically every few days to yes/true and it'd work. The value's name is "AllowAudioOnlyCalls". A boolean value that's been in the FaceTime settings since iOS 4.0.

I wasn't going against you, just adding some clarity for others that were not aware.

I doubt it will go to previous ios's anyway as iOS 6 and before do not have the button that iOS 7 has for audio only FaceTime.

Blackforge

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2008
oh so what's the feature of wifi calling tmobile advertises then? Is it truly a feature, or are there free apps out there that do the same thing?

Some phones on T-Mobile have the ability to route your regular call through Wi-Fi while connected. This is especially advantageous in poor signal areas. Plus you don't have to purchase a mobile extender from a provider to rebroadcast a signal.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 25, 2012
So what are some 3rd party apps that do the same as tmobile s feature? Skype, but that requires both parties to have it right? I remember tmobile saying it would be coming soon though

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
So what are some 3rd party apps that do the same as tmobile s feature? Skype, but that requires both parties to have it right? I remember tmobile saying it would be coming soon though
There are none that are seamless. And TMO never said it was coming. They said they hope to offer it in the future. However, that was just wishful thinking as I don't think anyone believes Apple is going to code a Tmobile specific feature into iOS.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 25, 2012
There are none that are seamless. And TMO never said it was coming. They said they hope to offer it in the future. However, that was just wishful thinking as I don't think anyone believes Apple is going to code a Tmobile specific feature into iOS.

well that sucks really, the wifi calling feature imho is a great feature, that I know is there on samsung's galaxy note 2/s3-s4, it's not a dealbreaker per say, but it seems like an important feature that could sway people to tmobile, if they were indecisive on coverage/service issues. they already have hd voice, and updating their network are great, this would've been a great addition to a seemingly growing company in tmobile

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
Just use Skype.

What makes T-Mobile's wifi calling feature great is it doesn't require the user to do anything other than be on wifi. It is sort of like iMessage for phone calls except the other user doesn't need to have iMessage. However, I don't see any chance it comes to iOS anytime soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.