Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I don't really think that there will be an iPhone police LOL, everybody is free to do whatever they want with their iphone and also it's perfectly legal from any standpoint. Also I've unlocked plenty of iphones from home for some friends (actually made some $ in the process) and I must tell you that nobody told me anything.. For the people that want to know how they can easily unlock their iPhone, i Used some guides from jaxov.com and also iphone unlocker pro (they have a really nice guide on unlocking: http://iphone-unlocker-pro.com. Happy unlocking folks!

Your property rights are only what your government says they are--your sense of fairness isn't law. Right now, the U.S. government says you can't unlock a subsidized phone without permission from the carrier. I don't know if anyone will end up actually enforcing it, but they have the option to do so if they wish. It's a small but notable risk if you unlock an iPhone purchased after the window expired back in January.

cellularunlock

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2013
SPAIN
Nicholasss, that was an example that they can detect if a locked phone is using other network.
Like the other colleague says, they have the option to do so if they wish....

iPhoneOliver

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2013
AT&T doesn't fully unlock

Maybe I don't exactly understand what "unlock" means, but AT&T unlocked my wife's old iPhone 4 for her after her contract expired and still it can't be configured to send an MMS or use cellular to surf the Web the way a truly footloose and fancy free iPhone can be. The relevant configuration settings are invisible. Probably everything would work if we were still using AT&T, but we've switched it to Airvoice. Calls and SMS are fine.

Update: Everything works now. I borrowed a new and not yet activated T-mobile micro-SIM card at the Apple Store (though the Genius there had never heard of this trick) and with that installed I had access to the Cell Data Network settings, which I just configured as described on the Airvoice support page for iPhone configuration. I did this only half way the first time I tried, but as I result I can tell you that the procedure works just as well if you borrow a T-mobile SIM from a phone that's already activated and in use--which could be a friend's or the phone of an employee at a T-mobile store, if he or she is trusting and in a charitable mood. I read about this SIM swap trick in some other forum I'd link to if I remembered it, but anyway I suggest pass this along, since it's not all that widely known, I searched quite awhile until I found it.

Last edited:

tgif1386

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2012
Iphone unlock

2 weeks ago, I use an Ebay service to unlock my AT&T iphone to use for T-Mobile. The seller only charged $1.75 and is done less than 24 chours. :D

apple_iBoy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
I put in a request to unlock mine cuz I was not under contract and got denied cuz of a technicality. I got a replacement iPhone 4 mid contract so they said you need to have the same iPhone for 2yrs. Dam B.S

This is odd. I have had 2 replacement iPhone 4 phones. AT&T unlocked both replacements right away based on the overall length of time with that model.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Maybe I don't exactly understand what "unlock" means, but AT&T unlocked my wife's old iPhone 4 for her after her contract expired and still it can't be configured to send an MMS or use cellular to surf the Web the way a truly footloose and fancy free iPhone can be. The relevant configuration settings are invisible. Probably everything would work if we were still using AT&T, but we've switched it to Airvoice. Calls and SMS are fine.

that doesn't have anything to do w/ the unlock, you need to edit the APN settings depending on your new network, called them up or check online for it.

matthewyip

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2010

Unlock means the phone can accept sim cards other than the carrier that originally locked to. For example, if you have an iPhone that locked to AT&T, it will accept only AT&T sim card and refuse other carriers sim cards.

For Airvoice, it is a AT&T MVNO so its sim card is technically an AT&T sim card. The way iPhone (or other phones) recognize the carrier of the sim card is by mobile network codes. For example, AT&T mobile network code is 310-410 and T-Mobile is 310-260. If your iPhone is locked to AT&T, which means the phone will only accept the sim card with mobile network code 310-410 and will refuse all other sim cards (Non-310-410 sim cards). Since your Airvoice sim card is a 310-410 sim card so it doesn't matter if your iPhone is still locked to AT&T or unlocked and you can still use your Airvoice sim card on AT&T-locked phones.

The reason why your MMS setting is invisible is also related to the mobile network codes. In the iPhone configuration files, Apple hides the cellular network setting (included MMS) for AT&T sim card. Once you inserted an sim card with mobile network code 310-410 (like original AT&T sim card, Airvoice sim card), it will hide the cellular network setting automatically no matter your iPhone is locked or unlocked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.