Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Hey all - just wanted to "resurrect" this topic as I've read quite a bit about this mod in previous posts and threads, but most seem quite old.

My old iPod classic had seen better days, but given the lack of storage space in current iPod touches (and the price of the 64GB models) I had decided to stick it out with my classic - even after 2 apparent deaths (thought it was a goner twice, but the spunky little thing sprang back to life each time).

That being said, I've been in the process of refurbishing it for quite some time and figured, if I was going to do this I might as well "go big" so I ordered a 128GB SSD (Super Talent, 1.8" ZTA ZIF PATA) to install. I read this was really the only drive that would work outside the standard HDs.

Well I got my first SSD last week and attempted to install it with no luck (note I've replaced the battery, display and outer shell). My iMac wouldn't recognize the SSD in disk utility and I got the red x on the iPod itself.

I assume this meant I had a faulty drive so I returned that one and ordered a replacement (all straight from Amazon). The second should be arriving today. A couple of questions:

(1) If the drive works, all I should have to do is plug into iTunes to download the iPod software correct?

(2) If it doesn't work right off the bat, I should be able to reformat in disk utility correct?

I don't think I damaged any of the connectors as it all seems to work just fine - I'll try with the old hard drive to triple check that the drive ribbon wasn't damaged and report back - hopefully with pictures of a "brand new" 128GB iPod Classic!

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
Hey all - just wanted to "resurrect" this topic as I've read quite a bit about this mod in previous posts and threads, but most seem quite old.

My old iPod classic had seen better days, but given the lack of storage space in current iPod touches (and the price of the 64GB models) I had decided to stick it out with my classic - even after 2 apparent deaths (thought it was a goner twice, but the spunky little thing sprang back to life each time).

That being said, I've been in the process of refurbishing it for quite some time and figured, if I was going to do this I might as well "go big" so I ordered a 128GB SSD (Super Talent, 1.8" ZTA ZIF PATA) to install. I read this was really the only drive that would work outside the standard HDs.

Well I got my first SSD last week and attempted to install it with no luck (note I've replaced the battery, display and outer shell). My iMac wouldn't recognize the SSD in disk utility and I got the red x on the iPod itself.

I assume this meant I had a faulty drive so I returned that one and ordered a replacement (all straight from Amazon). The second should be arriving today. A couple of questions:

(1) If the drive works, all I should have to do is plug into iTunes to download the iPod software correct?

(2) If it doesn't work right off the bat, I should be able to reformat in disk utility correct?

I don't think I damaged any of the connectors as it all seems to work just fine - I'll try with the old hard drive to triple check that the drive ribbon wasn't damaged and report back - hopefully with pictures of a "brand new" 128GB iPod Classic!

Wouldn't the Standard flash on the Ipod classic have some sort of code written specially for iPod Classic's? Kinda like how everyone with the xbox 360 wanted to install their own HD rather buy from microsoft but couldn't due to some sort of flash firmware in the board?

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Wouldn't the Standard flash on the Ipod classic have some sort of code written specially for iPod Classic's? Kinda like how everyone with the xbox 360 wanted to install their own HD rather buy from microsoft but couldn't due to some sort of flash firmware in the board?

Not that I'm aware of given the fact this mod has worked for others.....

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
ah, don't see a problem working then.

Ya - I'm really hoping it was just a faulty SSD I was sent - the box was unopened but marked 2009. Even for an SSD, sitting in a warehouse for 4 years probably isn't the best thing.

Anyways, I'll report back on my success/failure.

jailwut wunnow

macrumors member
May 25, 2011
You shouldn't have to format it before dropping it into the iPod. After install just plug it in, iTunes should see it and download the software. That's how it went for me anyway. I did NOT format before install. Your drive is a PATA ZIF drive, not sure about the ZTA part, but the drive must be a 3.3v drive and NOT a 5v one. Otherwise this mod will not work.

Here is the 64g drive I used. Super Talent 64gb ZIF PATA drive

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
You shouldn't have to format it before dropping it into the iPod. After install just plug it in, iTunes should see it and download the software. That's how it went for me anyway. I did NOT format before install. Your drive is a PATA ZIF drive, not sure about the ZTA part, but the drive must be a 3.3v drive and NOT a 5v one. Otherwise this mod will not work.

Here is the 64g drive I used. Super Talent 64gb ZIF PATA drive

Well, my second one didn't work last night either - not sure what else it could be other than a formatting issue. It's a 3.3V drive for sure and everything powers on just fine - I keep getting the "red x" and the device won't be read by either of my computers (iMac and Dell laptop).......

Ordered an enclosure from Amazon so I could test the drive by itself. I put the original HD back in the iPod and everything worked fine, so all my ribbons and internals are working - just something with the connection to the SSD.

There is some confusion on the drive I got - it says its an IDE drive but also says ZIF as well - Not sure the difference between the Super Talent DuraDrive and MasterDrive but both are on Amazon. I have the DuraDrive, but from what I've read, most use the MasterDrive......can't figure out what the difference would be - both are supposedly ZIF SSD's.....

EDIT: Maybe I should return both and pick up the MasterDrive version (the 128gb version of yours). Seems like there's something causing the DuraDrive not to work. I'll test with my enclosure when it comes and see if I can get it to work....

Last edited:

jailwut wunnow

macrumors member
May 25, 2011
Have you read through this thread? 128GB SSD iPod Classic

It's been a while since I have, but it does sound like the dura-drive might be the issue. I know the master drive works. At the time the drive needed was one compatible with a Macbook Air. There is some useful info in those pages... and some nonsense. lol

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Have you read through this thread? 128GB SSD iPod Classic

It's been a while since I have, but it does sound like the dura-drive might be the issue. I know the master drive works. At the time the drive needed was one compatible with a Macbook Air. There is some useful info in those pages... and some nonsense. lol

Ya I've read though that thread and a massive one on another site.....

I'm thinking you might be right. I have an enclosure coming that should allow me to reformat the duradrive. If that doesn't work, I'll be returning it for the MasterDrive.

jailwut wunnow

macrumors member
May 25, 2011
The reason the DuraDrive does not work is that it needs 5v versus the 3.3v that the MasterDrive needs. The iPod will only work with the 3.3v drive.

DuraDrive is the first graphic and MasterDrive is the 2nd.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-06-21 at 10.40.59 PM.JPG
    Screen Shot 2013-06-21 at 10.40.59 PM.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 469
  • Screen Shot 2013-06-21 at 10.41.20 PM.JPG
    Screen Shot 2013-06-21 at 10.41.20 PM.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 453

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
The reason the DuraDrive does not work is that it needs 5v versus the 3.3v that the MasterDrive needs. The iPod will only work with the 3.3v drive.

DuraDrive is the first graphic and MasterDrive is the 2nd.

That's not the model number I bought, but I suspect you are right anyways. SuperTalent's own website lists the DuraDrive as a 3.3V +/- 10%......

Oh well, I sorted it out with Amazon, returned the two DuraDrives I had and picked up a MasterDrive which has shipped an should be here in a few days!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.