Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Back in May, Adobe announced plans to abandon its Creative Suite to focus on several new Creative Cloud apps, including Photoshop CC, InDesign CC, Illustrator CC, Dreamweaver CC, and Premiere Pro CC, among others.

As of today, those apps have been made available for users on a subscription basis. While all of Adobe's previous Creative Suite apps are available in Creative Cloud, a number of the apps have received significant upgrades.

creativecloud.jpg
Photoshop CC, for example, offers impressive new features like Smart Sharpen, Camera Shake Reduction, Behance integration, and more. In addition to updated apps, Creative Cloud also offers a synced, cloud-based design experience and streamlined collaboration tools.
We couldn't be more pleased to announce that our new family of Creative Cloud desktop apps, and many of the powerful publishing and collaborative features that we announced at Adobe MAX in May, are now available. These include:

- Hundreds of new features in new versions of the apps you love, including Photoshop CC, Illustrator CC, InDesign CC, Adobe Muse CC, Dreamweaver CC, Edge Animate CC, Adobe Premiere Pro CC, After Effects CC, and more. Your Creative Cloud membership includes more than 30 tools and services that enable professional-grade content creation and delivery across print, web, mobile apps, video and photography.

- The new Creative Cloud app for your desktop, which keeps your entire creative world in sync and organized. Download and manage the latest product updates, keep tabs on your work and your followers on Behance, and more - all right from your desktop.

- The ability to sync your application settings to Creative Cloud. Whether you use a Mac or PC --or both! -- you can synchronize your workspace settings -- including things like preferences, presets, brushes, and libraries. No more tedious fussing with your apps on a new computer. Just log in, sync, and get back to work.
Individual Adobe users will now be required to pay a $50 monthly fee to access the entire suite of apps and features, though additional pricing options are available for single app subscriptions, teams, and students. Subscribers who own CS3 or later will also receive a $10 per month discount.

While the new CC apps are cloud based, the software does not require a constant internet connection to function. Annual users are required to connect to Adobe's servers and check in after 180 days, while month-to-month subscribers will need to check in once per month.

More information about Adobe Creative Cloud and its included apps and features can be found on the Creative Cloud website.

Article Link: Adobe Releases New Creative Cloud Apps

uaecasher

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2009
Stillwater, OK
I really happy with adobe!

For a design student, having to pay 19.99 for all their apps is much better than paying thousands of dollars. It's just like leasing a car.

thedarkhorse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Canada
My notes:

CC apps don't update over CS6, they are installed alongside them and you can still use CS6

They all seem to still be a complete version increase over CS6 apps, Premiere Pro CC is 7.0 , AE is 12.0 etc.

Premiere pro CC projects can't be opened in CS6 (expected), same goes for After effects CC projects, however in AE CC you can save as a CS6 compatible copy. Photoshop CS6 can open photoshop CC files with no problem, even CC-only smart filters are preserved but you can't modify them or the smart object without removing them from the layer(there is a warning symbol in the layers pallette on the CC smart filters that aren't in CS6). Illustrator CC files can be opened in CS6 though you will be warned of potential loss of info/data, the file I opened had a clipping mask applied that wasn't there when saved.

After effects is still not retina enabled.

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
Wait I can pay $240 a year for JUST photoshop and never actually OWN it? Guess I'm stickin' with CS6 unless I can actually buy software.

pfcosta

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2011
Euro - Dollar conversion

It's interesting that adobe does not know how to make dollars to euro conversions, cause I might be wrong, but since when a dollar is worth more than an euro?

Users in Europe have to pay more for the same service than in the US???:confused:

BigBeast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
Maybe Adobe could update all off their applications to support the Retina Macbook Pro?

I'm still waiting to see an update for Acrobat Pro that allows me to view PDFs with crisp text, rather than the very shabby resolution it currently shows.

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
$30 per month for me being a Cs5 user. Pfft. No thanks adobe. For users like me that do a bit of work occasionally were now forced into a subscription or else we don't get the latest version or access to our files. Come back when this fee platform fails for you. Until then im sticking with my CS5.....which was a cheap download anyway......because its a rip off.

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008

For a design student, having to pay 19.99 for all their apps is much better than paying thousands of dollars. It's just like leasing a car.
"Thousands of dollars?" :confused:

Master Collection has been less than 800$ for for a long time (for students).

And that's for everything included (which few people ever need). If you needed just a few apps, you could have done with one of their smaller, less expensive suites.

Ciclismo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Germany
It's interesting that adobe does not know how to make dollars to euro conversions, cause I might be wrong, but since when a dollar is worth more than an euro?

Users in Europe have to pay more for the same service than in the US???:confused:

Adobe aren't the only ones screwing us Europeans (see below), they're just the worst.

PS4
USA $399, EU $532 - 33% mark-up

Xbox One
USA $499, EU $665 - 33% mark-up

Adobe CC
USA $49 p.m., EU $82 p.m. - 67% mark-up

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
Changes Everything

Creative Cloud changes everything...Very true. The real question is... does it change everthing for the better, or for the worse? My vote is the latter.

Ciclismo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Germany

You might want to read the fine print - the $19.99 p.m. is a limited time offer due to expire soon. At which point, students and teachers will have to pay more. How much is still a secret, but full whack is probably a safe bet.

Which is quite unlike leasing a car, as those rates are usually fixed for the entire duration of the contract. It's more like a sub-prime mortgage.

pcmxa

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2011
ABQ
You might want to read the fine print - the $19.99 p.m. is a limited time offer due to expire soon. At which point, students and teachers will have to pay more. How much is still a secret, but full whack is probably a safe bet.

Which is quite unlike leasing a car, as those rates are usually fixed for the entire duration of the contract. It's more like a sub-prime mortgage.

Doubt it will go to full whack. My guess it will go to $30 as that is what it was before the sale, and Adobe wants to be in the educational setting and has long significant;y discounted their software. Get them addicted when they are young and all.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
People will like this once they get used to it. Right now peole cary around a notebook computer, I think mostly so they will have their data with them. But what if you could sit down to any computer on Earth and your photo library was right there. You work a while, sign off then later sit down at some other random computer and your desktop icons and all are there.

I used to work just like that in the 1980's and 90's with UNIX workstations from Sun Microsystems. The "cloud" did not go outside of the building and was Ethernet based. What has kept this away from consumer class computers is the cost of high speed data connections. But now many of us have that.

We are seeing this kind of thinking with Apple's new Mac Pro too. It assumes most of your storage is external, likely on a NAS "cloud".

Bit by bit it will move back to being that way. Centralized data with just terminal screens at the user's location.

At one point Sun required it's engineers to sit at a randomly assigned desk each day. They just took any un-used computer and went back to work. This forced them to use the system they were designing.

So far the only people complaining are those who don't like the price. I don't hear complaints about the functionality. So what if it costs $50 a month. If you are using this suit to make money and not making $50 it's time to look for other work.

If you don't like the price look at other options, Gimp is free as is Inkscape. There is Open Office and Google Docs and so on. You can do everything you want with free software.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
It would have been cooler if it worked (as an option) with Dropbox or iCloud to keep it clean instead of yet ANOTHER cloud service, Adobe. But I can see this being really useful for a classroom.

Of course, I'm staying at CS6 because it's more than good enough except when it comes to performance. I would even be happy with CS3... possibly happier because it was made for older computers and might run faster.

----------

Adobe aren't the only ones screwing us Europeans (see below), they're just the worst.

PS4
USA $399, EU $532 - 33% mark-up

Xbox One
USA $499, EU $665 - 33% mark-up

Adobe CC
USA $49 p.m., EU $82 p.m. - 67% mark-up

Maybe it's because electronics corporations cost a lot more to operate in Europe ;)
I don't know if this is true, but I've heard that Europe in general is suspicious of computer technology, plus it has higher taxes.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
Do my eyes deceive me? Is the Australian pricing finally on par with the US?? That's good.

But wait… Regular price per user for 'teams and business' is $70 per month? Cost over two years: $1680. Per user. And if cash-flow is tight I can't just skip a version or two to save money like I used to. Stop paying and the software—and access to all your files—disappears. Not good.

No thanks Adobe. I think I'll stick with CS4 and wait for (a) you to return our choice of regular upgrades, or (b) the next enterprising company to knock you off your throne the way you did Quark many years ago.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
Do my eyes deceive me? Is the Australian pricing finally on par with the US?? That's good.

But wait… Regular price per user for 'teams and business' is $70 per month? Cost over two years: $1680. Per user. And if cash-flow is tight I can't just skip a version or two to save money like I used to. Stop paying and the software—and access to all your files—disappears. Not good.

No thanks Adobe. I think I'll stick with CS4 and wait for (a) you to return our choice of regular upgrades, or (b) the next enterprising company to knock you off your throne the way you did Quark many years ago.

Ew, that sucks.

"While the new CC apps are cloud based, the software does not require a constant internet connection to function. Annual users are required to connect to Adobe's servers and check in after 180 days, while month-to-month subscribers will need to check in once per month."

These are the kinds of things that tick me off. Not that I'm a tin-foil hat guy, but it's photo editing software for crying out loud. WHY should it have to connect to the internet to work?!

sir1963nz

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2012
I'll stick with CS6 as long as I can. Thank you.

Yeah, and now that Apple has allowed OSX to run in a Virtual Machine its extending the life of older Apps for a VERY LONG time :D

For more casual users, this means never needing to upgrade.

----------

And you will surprised how quick a virtual machine runs older versions of OSX and Apps on modern hardware. Unless there are new features that are a must have, that VM will keep you going on new hardware and OS versions for a VERY long time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.