Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ibooks_icon2.jpg
In Apple's ongoing antitrust case with the Department of Justice, Apple's SVP of internet software and services Eddy Cue once again took the stand today, where he revealed several small tidbits about Steve Jobs and the launch of iBooks.

According to AllThingsD, Cue told the court that Jobs was highly involved in the creation of Apple's iBookstore, coming up with several of the features found in the app.
- The "page curls" in the iBook app, which show up when you flip an iBook's page? That's Steve Jobs's idea.

- It was Jobs's idea to pick ""Winnie-the-Pooh" as the freebie book that came with every iBook app. Not just because Jobs liked the book, Cue said, but because it showed off iBook's capabilities: "It had beautiful color drawings, that had never been seen before in a digital book."

- Jobs was also specific about the book he used to show off the iBook during his initial iPad demo in January 2010. He picked Ted Kennedy's "True Compass" memoir, because the Kennedy family "meant a lot to him," Cue said.
Over the course of the trial, the Department of Justice has argued that Apple colluded with book publishers to drive up the cost of e-books while Apple maintains its innocence. The DOJ has seen several weak links in its case over the course of the last week, after Apple refuted a partially composed email and a DOJ-called Google exec offered questionable testimony. Closing arguments for the trial are set for Thursday.

Article Link: Eddy Cue Offers Tidbits On Jobs' Involvement with iBooks

Eminemdrdre00

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2008
I wonder if those page curls will go away when iBooks gets updated for iOS 7? There were some things about the old skeuomorphism designs that didn't bother me as much as most people. That was one of them.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I wonder if those page curls will go away when iBooks gets updated for iOS 7? There were some things about the old skeuomorphism designs that didn't bother me as much as most people. That was one of them.

The effect is familiar, iconic, and everyone expects it in all ereaders. It's also optional already. I expect it to stay.

Same for the GarageBand instruments; menus/chrome may change, but a lot of the UI should stay looking like an instrument.

Mohammad Ridwan

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2013
I hope Jony Ive doesn't ******* this app up too...
Page curl is my favorite feature of iBooks.

Last edited:

PlanetExp

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2012

It's gonna slide if anything. There was some references to sliding pages in other apps in the demos.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
The Kennedy family "meant a lot" to him? Really? The Kennedy family's just the 60's version of Real Housewives of New Jersey.

BigBeast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
The Kennedy family "meant a lot" to him? Really? The Kennedy family's just the 60's version of Real Housewives of New Jersey.

Such a contemptuous comment coming from someone (you) that I'm sure hasn't contributed to society as much many of the Kennedy's have. What makes you worthy of making such a comment, or is it just another case of haters gon' hate? Either way, stay classy.;)

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Such a contemptuous comment coming from someone (you) that I'm sure hasn't contributed to society as much many of the Kennedy's have. What makes you worthy of making such a comment, or is it just another case of haters gon' hate? Either way, stay classy.;)

I'm a physician. How many lives have the Kennedy's saved?

And if you're going to say the Kennedy's policies touched millions of lives, by that same logic could be said for Dick Cheney. Well, at least he didn't personally murder (Skakel), drown (Ted Kennedy) or rape (William Kennedy Smith) someone.

Got anymore personal attacks up your sleeve? Seems to be your only way or forming an argument.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.