Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yrsued

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I got this E-Mail This morning:

"Apple service@mail.com via linux.nrserver9.net
8:30 AM (1 hour ago)

to me
Dear Client,

This is an automatic message by the system to let you know that you have to confirm your account information within 48 hours.
Your account has been frozen temporarily in order to protect it.

The account will continue to be frozen until it is approved And Validate Your Account Information.
Once you have updated your account records, your information will be confirmed and your account will start to work as normal once again.

To Verify Your Account Now, visit the following link:

Wondering why you got this email?

It's sent when someone adds or changes a contact email address for an Apple ID account. If you didn't do this, don't worry. Your email address cannot be used as a contact address for an Apple ID without your verification.

For more information, see our frequently asked questions.

Thanks,
Apple Customer Support"

Needless to say, this is a Phishing Scam.

I called Apple and the first tech just troubleshot my account, but he didn't know what to do with the Phishing thing!!

The supervisor told me to forward this E-Mail to:
reportphishing@apple.com

They promptly replied with a Receipt auto E-Mail.

Please be warned about this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Aug 2, 2919, 1645 Central time US. In Houston, Tecxas, just got an automated call from 800-155-3055, saying it was Apple and that suspicious login activity was noticed on my iCloud account and press 1 to talk to Apple Tech support. A guy with an Indian accent came on, I told him I got a call, he asked “automated”? I said yes. He said “I first have to know what kind of Apple devices I was using, iPhone, iPad, Mac”? I said all of them and he abruptly hung up. I believe this was a phishing attempt. :mad:

I found this online from Oct 2017- https://blog.mass.gov/consumer/massconsumer/apple-icloud-scam-call/

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Ah, yes, then there is the scam where an Indian accent asks for access to my "Microsoft" computer; however, as I have used only Apple devices and Mac laptops for the past eleven years, this request alone does send up a red flag or two.

Reactions: Huntn

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Aug 2, 2919, 1645 Central time US. In Houston, Tecxas, just got an automated call from 800-155-3055, saying it was Apple and that suspicious login activity was noticed on my iCloud account and press 1 to talk to Apple Tech support. A guy with an Indian accent came on, I told him I got a call, he asked “automated”? I said yes. He said “I first have to know what kind of Apple devices I was using, iPhone, iPad, Mac”? I said all of them and he abruptly hung up. I believe this was a phishing attempt. :mad:

I found this online from Oct 2017- https://blog.mass.gov/consumer/massconsumer/apple-icloud-scam-call/
If I bothered answering the phone at all, I'd probably say "Zune".

Reactions: Arcade and Huntn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.