Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

java_logo_new-150x275.jpg
Apple today released updated versions of Java 6 for OS X, bringing additional improvements to security, reliability, and compatibility. This is a standard update to Java 6, which is distributed by Apple. Java 7 is available through Oracle.
Java for OS X 2013-004 delivers improved security, reliability, and compatibility by updating Java SE 6 to 1.6.0_51.

On systems that have not already installed Java for OS X 2012-006, this update disables the Java SE 6 applet plug-in. To use applets on a web page, click on the region labeled "Missing plug-in" to download the latest version of the Java applet plug-in from Oracle.

Please quit any web browsers and Java applications before installing this update.

See http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5717 for more details about this update.

See http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222 for information about the security content of this update.
There are separate updates available for both OS X Snow Leopard and OS X Lion/Mountain Lion which can be downloaded through the Mac App Store or from Apple's software download site.

Article Link: Apple Releases New Java 6 Updates with Security Enhancements

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
Just give us Java 7 for (Snow) Leopard. For something that's supposed to make one compile run on every device, Java has annoying compatibility issues.

Last edited:

skinned66

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2011
Ottawa, Canada
Wasn't Oracle supposed to take over Java support for OS X?

Oh they dropped the ball on that? Surprise, surprise. I lament their acquisition of Sun; and not because of Java.

EDIT: I suppose I could just download Java 7 instead. But with the track record Oracle Java has had in the last year I feel like that would just be asking for trouble. I'm glad I've had the honour of never building a dependency on it.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
Glad to see Apple keeps working on it. I personally need Java for Work still.

Now all I need is for Google to make Chrome 64bit (and accept 64bit extensions/plugins) then things will be a lot better, Not having Jave in Chrome is a pain for me sometimes.

SirithX

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2007
San Francisco
If I already downloaded and installed the latest Java 7 from Oracle (a while ago, too), do I really need to install this? I did through the App store anyway but I'm confused since these "updates" keep popping up in my App Store.

thederby

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2007
Austin, TX
If I already downloaded and installed the latest Java 7 from Oracle (a while ago, too), do I really need to install this? I did through the App store anyway but I'm confused since these "updates" keep popping up in my App Store.

likely not unless you have a java app that specifically doesn't run on 1.7 and will only run on 1.6.

(i hate it when developers do that)

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
Or you could stop living in the past.

Inb4 "i have essential apps that dont work in Lion+"

I dont care.

That's a pretty mean response. No, the problem is that despite my computer being totally Mountain Lion and Mavericks compatible, my GPU fan runs fast, and the graphics are kinda slow in anything beyond Snow Leopard. My GPU is not slow, either. Lack of Rosetta is also a nuisance, but I can go around it.

rossip

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2011
so I have java 7 installed on my mac, but i still get these updates, is that normal? do both versions coexist?

CReimer

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2006
Silicon Valley

My vintage black MacBook (2006) is still running strong with Snow Leopard, especially after the local Apple Store replaced the keyboard top and CPU fan with brand new units for modest cost. Woo-hoo! :cool:

OTOH, Mavericks looks good enough to buy new hardware for the next seven years.

dakwar

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2010

Inb4 "i have essential apps that dont work in Lion+"

I dont care.

Some of us aren't made out of money to buy new Apple hardware every few years, to keep up with Apple's planned obsolescence schedule.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Some of us aren't made out of money to buy new Apple hardware every few years, to keep up with Apple's planned obsolescence schedule.

"every few years"

*looks at the requirements of ML, sees it supprts Macs from 2008*

Yep, nobody has the money to buy a Mac every few years. And you have to if you want to use ML. :rolleyes:

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Tell Notch/Jeb to learn a real language. I also play Minecraft, and it's frustrating how inefficient it is.

Damn right! That game should perform well on an intel GMA by the look of it but I get a third of the frame rate of half life 2 at the same resolution???

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013

Some of us do have new enough Apple hardware, but it doesn't work with Mountain Lion for an unexplained reason. :(

2008 Mac Pro. It's on the list of supported Macs, and others say it works, but it just doesn't work well for me.

dakwar

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2010
"every few years"

*looks at the requirements of ML, sees it supprts Macs from 2008*

Yep, nobody has the money to buy a Mac every few years. And you have to if you want to use ML. :rolleyes:

Nope. Just some of us. My 2008 black MacBook is stuck at 10.7 but runs beautifully. All I am missing is Messages, which needs at least 10.8.

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Glad to see Apple keeps working on it. I personally need Java for Work still.

Can you explain why you need Java in the browser for work? What apps are you running that requires Java? What exactly is keeping the vendor from packaging that code as a Java application? Oracle has provided packaging tools for a long time...

Now all I need is for Google to make Chrome 64bit (and accept 64bit extensions/plugins) then things will be a lot better, Not having Jave in Chrome is a pain for me sometimes.

As far as anyone can tell, Java in the browser will continue to be a risk. The way for things to get better is to insist that your vendors either provide Java apps for their mission-critical code or ditch Java entirely.

The only way to be safe is to remove this vector for infection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.