Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

FiftyThree
, the company that created popular iPad sketching app Paper, today announced that it received $15 million in funding for future projects, which will focus on both collaboration and physical creation.
We are especially focused on two areas:

TRUE COLLABORATION--Social media has changed the way we communicate, but real collaboration has been left behind. Still nothing has surpassed the simple act of sitting down in a room with a group of motivated people. We believe a breakthrough around collaboration will revolutionize the creative process. How we work together. How we discover new collaborators to work with.

PHYSICAL CREATION--Tools have helped us evolve and we've evolved to use tools as a way to extend our ability to express something. And that doesn't end at the touch screen. Moving beyond touch and into the physical world of accessories opens up creating with greater dexterity and expressiveness.
FiftyThree founder Georg Petschnigg expanded on those two concepts in an interview with The Verge, explaining that the team hopes to create "a suite of mobile tools for creativity." Currently, the company's only app is Paper, which is an intuitive sketching app that offers a quick way to capture ideas on a distraction-free canvas.

The app, which was designed by engineers who formerly worked on Microsoft's now-cancelled dual-screen tablet project Courier, won a 2012 Apple Design Award and was later named Apple's iPad App of the Year.

Article Link: 'Paper' Developers Get $15 Million in Funding For Future Apps and Hardware

street.cory

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
I wonder if Apple has considered a pressure-sensitive display for these types of apps. I'm curious what the pros/cons are.

M

Mr.damien

Now that is interesting.

What is really interesting is how stupid were Ballmer and Gate by killing the project because they didn't see any potential...

Now it's one of the best app on iOS.

They are the opposite of the definition of visionary.

Uplift

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2011
UK
Well done to them, it's a great app it will be good to see what they come up with.

alex00100

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2011
Moscow, Russia
What is really interesting is how stupid were Ballmer and Gate by killing the project because they didn't see any potential...

Now it's one of the best app on iOS.

They are the opposite of the definition of visionary.

Their original project was completely different from the app. You can look it up on the YouTube and see that this double screen thing is garbage and no one would buy it. It was made JUST for sketching. You wouldn't buy it.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
Their original project was completely different from the app. You can look it up on the YouTube and see that this double screen thing is garbage and no one would buy it. It was made JUST for sketching. You wouldn't buy it.

I'm wondering if their hardware is going to include something similar that might compete with Wacom tablets.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011

They just could envision the team's product anywhere else and it resulted in this happening.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Apple should partner with (I didn't say buy, but...) Wacom.

I'm glad they went without a stylus to get everyone used to their vision of a touch computer. That's great, really. But as time marches on, and exciting hardware additions become scarce, integrating a precision digitizer layer would elevate the iPad to a level of functionality far, FAR beyond its present capabilities.

1st raster work, then vector illustration, then CAD, then OS X integration, then... the world.

It's hard not to laugh at the punters who are still stuck on square 1 with "ipad is for content consumption!". Keep banging the rocks together, guys.

The Man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
I could get excited about Paper if it were for OSX (using a touch pad etc.) but all the time it's restricted iPad it's only a 'meh' for me.

Pretty icon though.

Wish it was portable; there's no way to sync with other iPad right now. Also, resolution is restricted to resolution of display. So an iPad 2 or mini only gets 1024x768 drawings. I need at least double that.

otismotive77

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2013
well, i use paper a lot, so i'm really excited to see what they're cooking. one thing is for sure they won't waste their awesome $15 million, so i can expect something extraordinary from them.

M

Mr.damien

I bought Paper just for sketching ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.