Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thelucas

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 4, 2013
I've been hearing a bit about Alfred 2 a bit across the internets. I'm a Launchbar user.

Am I missing anything by using Launchbar?

Anyone out there with an opinion on Alfred 2 v Launchbar?

wnorris

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2008
I have tried Alfred 2, Launchbar, and QS over the last week and yesterday went back to Spotlight.

For me, it is too much work to try and make these apps significantly more useful than Spotlight. I actually prefer the way Spotlight displays the results and don't know if most people fully understand what all it can do.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I have used LB and now Alfred 2, and prefer Alfred 2. The primary reason for this is the "workflows" feature Alfred 2 supports. Some of the workflows people have come up with are really nice. Look over the workflows section of the Alfred support forums to get an idea of what is available so far.

Workflows can display feedback in Alfred. Here is a screen shot of an Alfred workflow that uses Google auto suggest.

screenshot20130320at849.png

If you are just looking to launch apps, there is not much difference between the two... or even Spotlight for that matter.

thelucas

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 4, 2013
Thanks for all the input so far. I use Launchbar to launch/switch between apps, google searches and sometimes tracking down files. That workflow option looks pretty interesting. I will look into it for sure.

Anyone else?

thelucas

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 4, 2013
Good Lord!

I just downloaded Alfred 2 to give it a try.

Simply put, it is awesome and I haven't even tried out the workflows yet. The UI runs laps around Launchbar. Much more pleasant to use. Goodbye, Launchbar!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Simply put, it is awesome and I haven't even tried out the workflows yet. The UI runs laps around Launchbar. Much more pleasant to use. Goodbye, Launchbar!

Glad you like it. :)

Checkout this blog for some nice workflows you can DL and install. Mr. Ferguson is a tech support employee for Alfred and you will see many of his posts in their support forums.

I WAS the one

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Orlando, FL
I was a Quicksilver user then I get lost in the app. Found Alfred and I need to tell you it is the most fun multi tasks launcher I ever used. QS wasn't bad but it was too geeky and the more you start customizing it the worst it gets. Sometimes is better when you can't do everything you want.

Go Alfred! v2

----------

you need to buy a powerpack if you want to use the workflows.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Perhaps I'm under-utilizaing Alfred but how is this app any different the doing
Cmd-space to bring up the spotlight search box. For instance I can do cmd-space and type textedit. In Alfred I can Option-Space and type textedit and the same thing happens

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Perhaps I'm under-utilizaing Alfred but how is this app any different the doing
Cmd-space to bring up the spotlight search box. For instance I can do cmd-space and type textedit. In Alfred I can Option-Space and type textedit and the same thing happens

If all you are doing is launching apps and searching for documents, then yes, you are underutilizing and there is not much point in using Alfred. But it does far more than that.

I'll just list a few ways I use Alfred aside from file/app launching:

- find a document then email it as an attachment (there is along list of actions for files)
- find a name in contacts then launch an email to the contact
- Google search within Alfred with instant results shown in Alfred drop down
- long list of built in searches like Amazon and Wikipedia
- long list of system commands like, quit all, sleep, restart, empty trash...

There are also some really nice workflows users have put together. Just about anything you can think of that you routinely do on your Mac, you can make a workflow to do it for you with a couple keystrokes. For example, I use a workflow that unhides ~/Library for me after it gets hidden by point updates. Another runs rebuild launch services. There are some workflows hosted here, or you can make your own. Also, look at the Alfred Powerpack features here.

Once you get used to Alfred and learn some of the KB strokes to get things done, it becomes almost annoying to have to stop and move your hand over to the mouse.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If all you are doing is launching apps and searching for documents, then yes, you are underutilizing and there is not much point in using Alfred. But it does far more than that.
I'll have to look into it a bit more then :)

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
Even if all you do is launching stuff Alfred is better because of the prominent big UI which is really slim and light. Even just the UI beats anything I tried on Windows.
I couldn't do without it. Alfred and BetterTouchTool are what make OSX great without them I wouldn't like OSX nearly as much GUI wise as I do.

LD99

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2010
+1 for Alfred.

Like someone else was saying, the prominent UI is really nice. Even if you don't use any of its other functions, I think the clear, prominent UI itself is reason enough.

For the first few years my most frequent use of Alfred included:

- Calculation (just type, e.g. "2^32". It'll display the result, and you press "return" to copy the results to the clipboard)
- Looking up words (define "word")
- Checking spelling (spell "mnemonic". Press "return" to copy the correct spelling you want to the clipboard)

Only in the last year did I start to explore more advanced features like workflow. But even without these advanced features, Alfred is still a must-have for me due to its ease of use.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I'm trying out Alfred right now. Pretty slick little app. But why is V2 not in the App Store?

The dev. explains it a blog post here. Basically the Sandboxing requirements of App Store app would break lot of the built in features of Alfred 2, so they would have to cripple Alfred 2 to put in in the App Store.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
I've got Alfred 2 as well, but prefer LaunchBar. I think 6 is a pretty cool improvement, BTW. But I've been using it so long that perhaps that's skewed my opinion; both applications require some learning.

Be nice to see a feature comparison, if only to remind users of both utilities of all the features. I don't use Spotlight for Spotlight searches; I prefer HowdahSpot. And Spotlight won't run applescripts, AFAIK, nor will it enter calendar events, show your clipboard history, etc. There is a Take Control book for LaunchBar, so that might be preferable for new users.

But I continue to update Alfred just because I think it's such a cool application even though I don't use it nearly as much as Launchbar.

Truthfulie

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2013
Alfred all the way. At first I only used it because Spotlight was always at the top corner of the screen (which isn't as comfortable when you have 27" display.) But since then I've learned to utilize its features that I couldn't possibly use my Mac without Alfred. It looks sleek with custom made theme, workflow basically opens unlimited possibilities of feature add-ons. My workplace still uses 10.7.5 for whatever the reason is, so I can't really use the latest Launchbar and I like to use same app between my home machine and work machine. Though I am curious, what are some things Launchbar can do that Alfred can't? or vice versa.

This is a bit of tangent, but I really am hoping that some of the new Spotlight's features can be integrated into Alfred because I do like some of those new features (such as ability to preview the web search result right in the Spotlight) but wouldn't dare give up Alfred's workflow and customization.

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
This is a bit of tangent, but I really am hoping that some of the new Spotlight's features can be integrated into Alfred because I do like some of those new features (such as ability to preview the web search result right in the Spotlight) but wouldn't dare give up Alfred's workflow and customization.

The Alfred devs. mentioned on their blog here they have nice things in store for us, so I am hoping Yosemite opens up new possibilities for Alfred.

jowie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
London ish
For example, it has a built in calculator:

Spotlight can do that too though:
Screen Shot 2014-06-25 at 09.12.54.png
Command-C will also copy the result to the clipboard.

I will download Alfred to see if there's anything I'm missing, but I still can't see there's much difference than just using Spotlight, except for a nicer UI (which I guess will be resolved in Yosemite).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.