Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

personalhotspot-250x343.png
When tethering an iPhone or an iPad, iOS users have the option of using an automatically generated password for their personal hotspots, which Apple implemented to provide all users with a secure password option.

According to researchers at Germany's University of Erlangen (via ZDNeT), the way that the keys are generated - with a combination of a short English word along with random numbers - is predictable to the point where the researchers are able to crack the hotspot password in less than a minute.

In their paper, the three researchers detail the process that they used to figure out the weak spots in the hotspot's protection. Apple's word list uses approximately 52,500 entries, so initially, cracking the hotspot took almost 50 minutes. After finding a WiFi connection, the researchers used an AMD Radeon HD 6990 GPU to run through word and number combinations.
"This list consists of around 52,500 entries, and was originated from an open-source Scrabble crossword game. Using this unofficial Scrabble word list within offline dictionary attacks, we already had a 100 percent success rate of cracking any arbitrary iOS hotspot default password," the researchers wrote.
The team discovered that only a small set of Apple's larger word list was being used, so with GPU cluster of four AMD Radeon HD 7970s, they narrowed their iOS-generated hotspot password cracking time down to just 50 seconds. In the paper, the team goes on to criticize Apple's password generation standards, suggesting that system generated passwords be composed of random letters and numbers.
"In the context of mobile hotspots, there is no need to create easily memorizable passwords. After a device has been paired once by typing out the displayed hotspot password, the entered credentials are usually cached within the associating device, and are reused within subsequent connections," the paper states.

"System-generated passwords should be reasonably long, and should use a reasonably large character set. Consequently, hotspot passwords should be composed of completely random sequences of letters, numbers, and special characters."
As noted by ZDNet though Apple's password generation system is flawed, it is a more robust solution than what is used by other companies like Microsoft. For example, the Windows 8 phone utilizes default passwords that consist of eight digit numbers.

To avoid a weak iPhone hotspot password, users can still choose to use passwords of their own creation, which should contain a sequence of random numbers and letters for enhanced security.

Article Link: Researchers Crack iOS-Generated Hotspot Passwords in 50 Seconds

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
The phone also displays how many clients are connected, so you will see if it has been cracked. I believe HotSpot sharing is also WEP (easily cracked), so don't use a password that you use, for example, your home WiFi network.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
" so with GPU cluster of four AMD Radeon HD 7970s"

Using my iPad out in a park away from building WIFI. I think that, with a gas generator out in a park might be obvious and suspicious...

Also, use Bluetooth. The connection is persistent. iPad reconnects without fiddling with Phone because the phone doesn't idle it's bluetooth like it does WIFI. Also more secure as you will have to manually approve the connection. Problem solved, and everything fixed.

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
Genuinely curious: What is the advantage of using a GPU for this type of processing vs. standard CPU processing?

Brianstorm91

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2007
Cambridge, UK
Not going to lie, you'd think Apple might have taken it a bit more seriously than using an open source Scrabble dictionary and sticking a 1 at the end.

MaxxTraxx

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2008
I can imagine folks just roaming airports with these AMD systems looking for iPhone passwords.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
To avoid a weak iPhone hotspot password, users can still choose to use passwords of their own creation, which should contain a sequence of random numbers and letters for enhanced security[/url]

You don't need random numbers and letters as much as length (although adding in numbers and special characters if allowed is even better).

MyfuNNygoatWilmaatemyshoe'stoNgue (or shake it up and make "o"s zeros or something like that).

is much better than xc5RF8dW

Edit: simple number or symbol substitutions for letters don't do much to complexity but they don't hurt. Length really is key. A long (20+ character), truly random password would be best but they are difficult to remember. So going with length+easy to remember is far better than short (<8) and random.

Last edited:

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
If you're that paranoid, you can easily change the password to something much more complicated and secure. Really not a big deal.

cutmoney

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2009
Wow, I guess next time I setup a personal hotspot to check my email on my laptop, I'd better watch out for someone nearby with a "GPU cluster of four AMD Radeon HD 7970s". I mean seriously, who sets up a wireless hotspot on their iPhone using the password generator and then transmits some sensitive data which is at risk of (and in range of) some hacker that would have the ability (or desire) to crack their wireless hotspot security? It's hard enough to even get people to turn on any security much less worry about whether it could potentially be hacked. These "researchers" need to spend their time on something more useful.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Not going to lie, you'd think Apple might have taken it a bit more seriously than using an open source Scrabble dictionary and sticking a 1 at the end.

:D Exactly. Hackers have dictionaries and can add variable amounts of numbers to each entry for each round of cracking attempt. Brute forcing these kinds of passwords is easy work for them.

ClemyNX

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
The person who put that into place needs to be fired. It's not easy to generate passwords, but they could have tested the function better to see if it was random enough.

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
This does not appear to be an issue in iOS 7.

The passwords generated in the beta are not based on dictionary words and are considerably more randomized.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.