Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
whats better for listening to music on the go?
Either will do the job. The question is the Classic will allow you to carry more music with you and the Touch allows you to use apps. Using apps will chew into battery life, so it depends on how much listening time you want between being able to recharge the iPod.

boateng

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2012
Either will do the job. The question is the Classic will allow you to carry more music with you and the Touch allows you to use apps. Using apps will chew into battery life, so it depends on how much listening time you want between being able to recharge the iPod.

i just want to listen to music out and about

apps i have an iphone for

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
I love my classic. Bought it in 2010. I'll never part with it. My iPod touch 4th gen on the other hand recently hit eBay.

SlovakApple

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
In the heart of Europe
If you are willing to wait, maybe seeing what will come in september this year could be a choice. If they bring a 128GB iPod touch, that could suit your needs - I personally would not buy a Classic.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
It really depends on what you need it for. For listening to music on the go - especially if you have a large iTunes library and want to be able to carry the entire library with you - there is nothing better than the iPod classic. The Touch allows you to do a lot more than that.

I have both the classic and the Touch. As Bear points out, the classic will allow you to listen to a lot of music (the battery and the storage capacity are very good), while the Touch - especially the larger models, will allow to to do that, and use apps too.

My Touch is the 64GB model (and yes, I use it for music, as well), and I have the 80GB classic. I love music, and I love being able to carry my entire music library around with me. Moreover, I travel a lot, and this includes travel to strange places where security constraints sometimes apply, meaning that one can end up spending a lot of time listening to music.

Since I first bought the classic seven years ago, I have never been without one. As you say that you wish to listen to music, I'd recommend the classic over the Touch, and - if you wish to carry a large library of music with you - I'd recommend the classic over the nano, beautifully designed though the latter undoubtedly is.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
It really depends on what you need it for. For listening to music on the go - especially if you have a large iTunes library and want to be able to carry the entire library with you - there is nothing better than the iPod classic. The Touch allows you to do a lot more than that.

I have both the classic and the Touch. As Bear points out, the classic will allow you to listen to a lot of music (the battery and the storage capacity are very good), while the Touch - especially the larger models, will allow to to do that, and use apps too.

My Touch is the 64GB model (and yes, I use it for music, as well), and I have the 80GB classic. I love music, and I love being able to carry my entire music library around with me. Moreover, I travel a lot, and this includes travel to strange places where security constraints sometimes apply, meaning that one can end up spending a lot of time listening to music.

Since I first bought the classic seven years ago, I have never been without one. As you say that you wish to listen to music, I'd recommend the classic over the Touch, and - if you wish to carry a large library of music with you - I'd recommend the classic over the nano, beautifully designed though the latter undoubtedly is.
I too have a 64GB Touch. I use it almost exclusively for music. A significant benefit of the Touch over the Classic is the ability to use different music player apps. With the Classic you are "stuck" with the classic interface, but with the Touch, there are some different ways of interacting with one's music library...
The default Music app, Groove, MoodAgent, Track 8, Air Cassette, and AirVinyl are just a few that I use.

iDominic

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2013
Garden City, MI
Depends. If you just want music, and you already have an iPhone, then I would go for the Classic.

If you don't have an iPhone, then I would go for the iPod Touch.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
whats better for listening to music on the go?

To give you any kind of useful advice, we need more info such as what's your budget/how big is your iTunes library. The Classic at $249 for 160GB, gives you 2.5 times the capacity of the 64GB 'Touch' at $150 less, than the Touch's $399. If all you intend to do with it is music listening, I would say, the answer is a no brainer, especially because you do own an iPhone already. That by itself negates the advantages a Touch would have given you.

boateng

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2012
To give you any kind of useful advice, we need more info such as what's your budget/how big is your iTunes library. The Classic at $249 for 160GB, gives you 2.5 times the capacity of the 64GB 'Touch' at $150 less, than the Touch's $399. If all you intend to do with it is music listening, I would say, the answer is a no brainer, especially because you do own an iPhone already. That by itself negates the advantages a Touch would have given you.

Basically my itunes library is like 20gb
budget isnt really a problem....i will pay if its worth it

erm regarding phone i am going to get the samsung galaxy s4 or htc one as an upgrade soon

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Depends what you put first. If the answer is music, you will want the iPod Classic. Marvellous device. I don't go anywhere without mine.

But if you and apps and a touchscreen and all that then go for the touch.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Basically my itunes library is like 20gb
budget isnt really a problem....i will pay if its worth it

erm regarding phone i am going to get the samsung galaxy s4 or htc one as an upgrade soon

If, as you've stated, "budget is not a problem", and if you don't think your iTunes library will surpass the 64Gb limit of the 'Touch', then by all means buy the IpodTouch; That way, since you're getting rid of the iPhone, you'll still have a link to the APPLE ecosystem, as well as the App store.

boateng

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2012
If, as you've stated, "budget is not a problem", and if you don't think your iTunes library will surpass the 64Gb limit of the 'Touch', then by all means buy the IpodTouch; That way, since you're getting rid of the iPhone, you'll still have a link to the APPLE ecosystem, as well as the App store.

hmm maybe your right

most apps are available at both the android and app store but like you said it may be wise to have a link to the apple system

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
One thing about the Touch that beats the Classic as music player is the ability to use apps that have greater EQ preferability, like the Denon music app.

The built-in EQ presets aren't the greatest and u can't tweak the frequency bands.

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
I will say, I've been using a 3rd Gen Nano lately, and am thinking of getting a Classic for the larger screen/large capacity. I also have a 64gb iPod touch, but I love the old style scroll wheels and overall design of the Classic because it does one thing and one thing well: Play music. My iPod has all kinds of distractions. And if I play a game, or surf the web, then my music playing time on my battery goes way down.

In other words, even if my iPod touch battery dies, I'll still have my Classic/Older nano to listen to.

Also, I have a 6th gen Nano and have tried the 7th gen. Personally I find the screens to small to function well with a touchscreen. Those scroll wheels did a grand job of going through menus. The physicalness of the skip buttons also makes it a lot easier to play/pause and move around music without looking at the device while in the car.

boateng

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2012
I will say, I've been using a 3rd Gen Nano lately, and am thinking of getting a Classic for the larger screen/large capacity. I also have a 64gb iPod touch, but I love the old style scroll wheels and overall design of the Classic because it does one thing and one thing well: Play music. My iPod has all kinds of distractions. And if I play a game, or surf the web, then my music playing time on my battery goes way down.

In other words, even if my iPod touch battery dies, I'll still have my Classic/Older nano to listen to.

Also, I have a 6th gen Nano and have tried the 7th gen. Personally I find the screens to small to function well with a touchscreen. Those scroll wheels did a grand job of going through menus. The physicalness of the skip buttons also makes it a lot easier to play/pause and move around music without looking at the device while in the car.

hmmm i get you

yeah i am deffo not getting the nano. find it way too small and i tend to lose things that are small and lightweight..

I dont really have a large music collection tbh....i have around 20gb of music on my macbook pro.
I do have an iphone but i am going to sell it to get a samsung galaxy s4 more likely and i dont really like using my phone as my dedicated music player because i tend to surf the net alot which means my battery dies rather quickly..meaning i cant listen to music then.

----------

One thing about the Touch that beats the Classic as music player is the ability to use apps that have greater EQ preferability, like the Denon music app.

The built-in EQ presets aren't the greatest and u can't tweak the frequency bands.

i have no idea how to do all that sort of stuff!

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
hmmm i get you

yeah i am deffo not getting the nano. find it way too small and i tend to lose things that are small and lightweight..

I dont really have a large music collection tbh....i have around 20gb of music on my macbook pro.
I do have an iphone but i am going to sell it to get a samsung galaxy s4 more likely and i dont really like using my phone as my dedicated music player because i tend to surf the net alot which means my battery dies rather quickly..meaning i cant listen to music then.

Aye, that's how I feel. I would either A) get a Classic, or B) Find one of the older, larger Nano's on eBay. Like you said, you don't really have enough music to justify that much space… but you can always use the extra as backup storage ^_^

boateng

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2012
Aye, that's how I feel. I would either A) get a Classic, or B) Find one of the older, larger Nano's on eBay. Like you said, you don't really have enough music to justify that much space… but you can always use the extra as backup storage ^_^

i dont want the nano
its either the touch or the classic

bluez3

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2010
are the ipod classics' memory SSD or chip based now? in the past they were spinning platters that were prone to breaking down. that's what always deterred me from the classic. the last spinning platter ipod I had was a mini. since than I've only bought SSD based ipods.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.