Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dopeytree

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
UK
Registered Dev. Alt click restore pointed to new ios7 got to 75% then spouted itunes error 3014 (seems to be communication related) and the phone is now stick in dfu mode. Can't get it restore back to 6.1.4 it either spouts itunes error 3014 or unknown error -1.

******* Sake not how I had envisioned my evening panning out.

-- all fixed now - not completely sure what caused it but I used another computer in the end

Last edited:

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
Those errors generally mean iTunes can't connect with the gs.apple.com server, or you aren't signed into your account on iTunes.

iamthekiller

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2010
Registered Dev. Alt click restore pointed to new ios7 got to 75% then spouted itunes error 3014 (seems to be communication related) and the phone is now stick in dfu mode. Can't get it restore back to 6.1.4 it either spouts itunes error 3014 or unknown error -1.

You're wrong. Your phone is not bricked. Bricked indicates that the phone is completely dead. You simply can connect to the server right now.

dopeytree

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
UK
You're wrong. Your phone is not bricked. Bricked indicates that the phone is completely dead. You simply can connect to the server right now.

its stuck in the loop now gets to 75% then 'unknown error -1' no matter if I'm downgrading 6.1.4 or upgrading to ios7

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
everyone got it but you man... Lol you're like the only one we know of that managed to mess up their phone off this. Try dfu restoring to 6.1.4 that YOU downloaded then look at one of the many guides on the first page of this forum.

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
its stuck in the loop now gets to 75% then 'unknown error -1' no matter if I'm downgrading 6.1.4 or upgrading to ios7

Out of curiosity, have you tweaked your hosts file or had TinyUmbrella run and tweak the hosts file for you? If so, that will prevent iTunes from connecting to Apples servers, which it needs to do.

dopeytree

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
UK
Good call I check the host file theres a few adobe things in there but no apple stuff I gave it a clear out anyhow as I now pay for adobe cloud.

After many attempts to install ios7 & restore io6 I have finally got it restored back to ios6. That's where I'll stay for the moment.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
if it helps, this happened to me. A few restore attempts later it worked. This was on iTunes 11.0.2 - didnt update to .4 until after upgrading.

robwilson

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2012

Use Xcode to update you phone......

street.cory

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
Try the install on a different computer. Most likely due to tinyumbrella changing the host file for apples servers. Or you can delete the entry of gs.apple.com entry and try again in DFU mode.

dopeytree

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
UK
Thanks for all the tips guys! I tried installing ios7 from my brothers mac and it worked no problem. Love the new feel. Especially the new app switcher!

My host file is pretty much empty so im still at a loss for why it wouldn't work on my mac. Bit extreme but a fresh install of osx should sort out any future issues right?

dopeytree

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
UK
You should have alt-clicked update not restore

That's what I did. Alt click restore also tried alt click update.

The phone was then permanently in DFU recovery mode as it never finished installing the firmware update.

Anyway it worked fine on my bros mac and ios7 is lovely.

Krissypantz2828

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012
I don't understand how you can brick it! It's possible if you don't do it properly but that's all! iOS 7 beta will not brick your device on its own! You will have little glitches here and there but that's to be a expected! I honestly hope you figure it out dude because I wouldn't be too happy if this was my iPhone 5!! Did I try getting back to iOS 6? Just plug the phone in DFU mode and make sure u are connected to iTunes and than must restore to iOS 6 from there!! Good luck

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Thanks for all the tips guys! I tried installing ios7 from my brothers mac and it worked no problem. Love the new feel. Especially the new app switcher!

My host file is pretty much empty so im still at a loss for why it wouldn't work on my mac. Bit extreme but a fresh install of osx should sort out any future issues right?
Maybe you should edit the misleading thread title to reflect the fact that your iPhone is not actually bricked.

Krissypantz2828

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012

Glad to hear

balzmcfearson

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2009
Brooklyn
That's what I did. Alt click restore also tried alt click update.

The phone was then permanently in DFU recovery mode as it never finished installing the firmware update.

Anyway it worked fine on my bros mac and ios7 is lovely.

-1 error in some cases can be resolved by restarting your computer

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.