Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boateng

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2012
I am joining soon and don't own any ipod

I was wondering what is the best ipod to use for the treadmill, exercise bike etc....

I was thinking of getting a classic also for everyday use?

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Personally, I use a 4th gen shuffle. It's so easy to use and tiny. Also survives pretty much any drop, with no screen to shatter either.

And even if it does break, it's fairly cheap anyway!

boateng

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2012
Personally, I use a 4th gen shuffle. It's so easy to use and tiny. Also survives pretty much any drop, with no screen to shatter either.

And even if it does break, it's fairly cheap anyway!

do you use that as your main ipod

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
The Shuffle. I've got both the 2nd and 4th gens (I bought the 4th after thinking I'd lost my 2nd gen) and I actually prefer the 2nd gen. The buttons on the 4th gen are fiddly and make it easy to press the wrong button, I never had that problem with the 2nd generation.

I tried one of those iPhone arm bands and found it cut my circulation off when weight training. No thanks, Shuffle all the way.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I'm looking for a new iPod for the same reason.

Is there any indication that the Shuffle and/or Nano will go through a major change this year?

I can wait, but I have a Best Buy gift card that I'd like to put it towards that expires September 23rd. Are the refreshed ipods usually up for sale very shortly after announcement?

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
I'd say either a Shuffle that clips or a 6th gen nano. Although I will admit that I really like my iPod classic for its storage capacity.

SAIRUS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
I use a nano, but I usually just throw my iPhone in an otterbox and use bluetooth headphones.

pjashley1

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2007
Definitely the shuffle! I broke my nano's screen when I pressed too hard against it on a resistance machine

OldLadywithiPod

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2008
The shuffle so it can clip on a sleeve. I clip mine on my shirt lapel when I'm in the office (which is sometimes a workout place without the free weights and dumbbells). Only problem is remembering it's there when sorting laundry.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I am joining soon and don't own any ipod

I was wondering what is the best ipod to use for the treadmill, exercise bike etc....

I was thinking of getting a classic also for everyday use?

For the gym? Buy the "shuffle". It is tiny and you can clip it to the collar of a tee-shirt. All the larger iPods require either a pocket or some kind of arm band. The Shuffle is so light and small you can clip it any place and forget about it. The shuffle is small and yu can forget about it. You can even clip it to a hat and not have wires everywhere

What you do it load it with what you want to listen to for a few hours then when you get home put some different music on it.

Then buy the larger iPod for everyday use.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
iPod Nano 7th Generation, bluetooth, 16GB storage, great battery life. Small, fits in those made for key pockets in athletic gear and has physical buttons you can press but also a touch screen.

It is a great iPod.

Last edited:

Lostanddamned

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2009
London, UK
3rd gen shuffle with a pair of Bose headphones, clips to the arm of my shirt, sweatproof headphones, really easy to use, works brilliantly, nothing to cock it up or get int he way.

Essenar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
It's funny. I'm in the EXACT same situation. I have a Galaxy Tab 2 and an iPad Retina but I need something for the gym. I have a smart phone so I felt like I don't need the screen of a Nano or full iOS of a Touch. But if I buy a Nano and a set of earphones, it'll be over $100 anyway. And with the $229 Touch, that becomes close to reach anyway.

I have a $25 off $100 coupon for my bookstore. I was thinking of getting a Shuffle with a set of SOL Republics or maybe some Sennheisers. The thing is, the Earpods with the Nano would defeat the purpose. However, we're still talking about a $100 difference.

This is such a hard decision to make.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.