Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
Sad. What a great actor.

Three-time Emmy winner James Gandolfini has died in Italy at the age of 51 of a possible heart attack. According to HBO, he was on vacation at the time. The “Sopranos” actor appeared recently in “Zero Dark Thirty” and “The Incredible Burt Wonderstone.” He had been working on Fox Searchlight’s “Animal Rescue” and TV show “Criminal Justice” as well as “Taxi 22.”

http://variety.com/2013/more/news/james-gandolfini-dead-of-sudden-stroke-at-51-1200499141/

user418

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2010
Wow!!! Really a bummer. Just read about this tragic event myself. Really loved his role in the Sopranos. Great actor.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
The first time I saw him was in the 1995 film "Get Shorty". He had a fairly small supporting role, but I was so impressed with his performance I specifically look to see who he was in the credits.

I never watched "the Sopranos", but did see Gandolfini in a number of films, and he always did a very good job with whatever he was given to do.

Very sad he died at 51...

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I highly recommend you rectify this.

Seriously. Especially you - there's probably a lot of material in there that will be quite close to home for you.

Wait, you mean because I'm a Mafiosi??:eek:

Oh...I get it...:)

I'm not much on TV series. I know "The Sopranos" was the best of the best...maybe I'll give it a look...but I prefer to see him in the many films he made.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I have mixed emotions regarding this. I am sad for his family for losing him so young, but I am annoyed at him for not taking care of himself. As the son of a father who died at 56, it angers me when dads refuse to take care of themselves and leave their kids way to young.

I do NOT exercise or take care of myself for me, I do it for my kids. I wish more dads would understand that.

todd2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2005
Danville, VA
Ya know I've never actually seen the Sopranos either, and I'm from NJ. I lived about 10 min from the house where it was shot. I have been to Holsten's, the Ice Cream Parlor where the final scene was shot. They were packed after the news came in, but they "Reserved" the booth where the scene was shot. A nice tribute.

R.I.P. James, I will start watching the Soprano's tomorrow

390097_10151662478209153_715596757_n.jpg

http://newjersey.news12.com/news/actor-james-gandolfini-dies-in-italy-at-age-51-1.5524776

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
This is very sad news indeed. James Gandolfini was an excellent character actor who dominated whatever scene he was in, and bestowed an extra dimension to whatever role he played.

From a physical point of view, I also have to say that I rather liked the fact that he was not trim and toned, not the clichéd classically handsome, chisel jawed type so often produced by the US film industry - and yes, I liked the fact that he had a lived in face and obviously, the sort of body one could see on one's friends and one's friends dads.....

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Wait, you mean because I'm a Mafiosi??:eek:

Oh...I get it...:)

I'm not much on TV series. I know "The Sopranos" was the best of the best...maybe I'll give it a look...but I prefer to see him in the many films he made.

Think of it as a really long movie then.

I didn't watch it for years, I resisted person after person telling me I should watch. Then I had some spare time a few years ago, started watching and it was simply excellent.

Please do give it a try.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
This is very sad news indeed. James Gandolfini was an excellent character actor who dominated whatever scene he was in, and bestowed an extra dimension to whatever role he played.

From a physical point of view, I also have to say that I rather liked the fact that he was not trim and toned, not the clichéd classically handsome, chisel jawed type so often produced by the US film industry - and yes, I liked the fact that he had a lived in face and obviously, the sort of body one could see on one's friends and one's friends dads.....

Gandolfini was in the Gene Hackman class of non-pretty actors with incredible skills.

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Rip

So sad to see such great actor go so young. Absolutely no one else could have played Tony Soprano like he did. He is the reason I enjoyed the show as much as I did.:(

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Heard the news on the radio this morning. I enjoyed his acting work. It's sad when anyone dies so prematurely. For those saying he should have taken better care of himself... I agree that being healthy is important, but let's not assume that we know all the details of his life or the direct cause of his heart attack. In other words, "don't judge a book by its cover".

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Gandolfini was in the Gene Hackman class of non-pretty actors with incredible skills.

Agree completely; a terrific actor, always well worth watching.

This afternoon, I have read a few obits and commentary pieces, and most of these seem to suggest that he was an impressive man, too. However, as I have posted elsewhere, I much prefer good character actors, with an appearance which one can find credible, much more preferable to watch than any amount of bland, characterless, notional perfection.

Heard the news on the radio this morning. I enjoyed his acting work. It's sad when anyone dies so prematurely. For those saying he should have taken better care of himself... I agree that being healthy is important, but let's not assume that we know all the details of his life or the direct cause of his heart attack. In other words, "don't judge a book by its cover".

Very good post.

I got quite a shock when I heard the news.

He will always be Tony Soprano to me.

RIP.

It is probably the role he is best known for, but he excelled whenever and wherever he was cast.

vampyr

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2008
A great loss indeed. Because of him, I became a huge fan of Sopranos, even going so far as picking up some Tony Soprano cigars and joking with my wife that when I wear my wedding ring on my pinky, I became Tony Soprano.

I've seen him in some other films as well. I enjoyed him as the voice of one of the monsters in "Where the Wild Things Are..." and when he played a gay hitman (I think) in a movie with Julia Roberts called "The Mexican".

RIP Big T.

mcmul

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
I always feel that when somebody famous dies, people try and over-step the quality of their work. "They're phenomenal", "the best of their generation" and so on. But for James Gandolfini, it's absolutely true. The Sopranos is, all things considered, my favourite television show. James and Edie's relationship on-screen as the infamous Tony & Carmela, was incredible to watch. His breathing alone would scare the **** out of me.

Truly gutted for his wife, kids and family. So young. So great.

RIP doesn't do him justice. He'll live on forever in my household. HBO just need to release the bloody blu-rays!

RIP James... **** it, Tony!

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Ya know I've never actually seen the Sopranos either, and I'm from NJ. I lived about 10 min from the house where it was shot. I have been to Holsten's, the Ice Cream Parlor where the final scene was shot. They were packed after the news came in, but they "Reserved" the booth where the scene was shot. A nice tribute.

R.I.P. James, I will start watching the Soprano's tomorrow

http://newjersey.news12.com/news/actor-james-gandolfini-dies-in-italy-at-age-51-1.5524776

Ok that is pretty darn cool.

51 is way to young........... RIP Big Guy.

lobeyonekenobi

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
I highly recommend you rectify this.

Seriously. Especially you - there's probably a lot of material in there that will be quite close to home for you.

It took me until the fourth season to bother to watch this due to my wife forcing me but when I did wow, better than any gangsta movie, maybe even The Godfather, from Scene 1 Episode 1 Season 1 to the final scene in the final season mostly because James Gandolfini RIP and Bada Bing.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

I second this.

I have mixed emotions regarding this. I am sad for his family for losing him so young, but I am annoyed at him for not taking care of himself. As the son of a father who died at 56, it angers me when dads refuse to take care of themselves and leave their kids way to young.

I do NOT exercise or take care of myself for me, I do it for my kids. I wish more dads would understand that.

Yes being overweight increases your odds of a heart attack event, however as devil's advocate, I'll mention that keeping yourself in shape does not guarantee your life span either. My next door neighbor is very fit but suffered a heart attack in his mid 40's and then there is Jim Fixx (runner), but for the latter, I believe he was warned of a heart disease condition and ignored it, dieing at 52.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.