Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moonpie373

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
Hi. The screensaver for my mac changed by itself for the second time. I have not made any changes. No one else has access to the Mac. Could this be due to spyware?

I have installed Parallels on the Mac so I could use Windows based spreadsheets but I also installed Microsoft Security Essentials and limit the amount of time that Internet Explorer is running. No one else has access to the Mac although it is in a network with another computer (PC) that is used by several different people depending on the time of year. That particular PC, by the way, has been compromised but the Mac seemed fine until now. Should I be worried?

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
As far as being worried, don't be. Any issues that the windows side may have wouldn't affect your Mac. That said, I'm not sure why your screensaver would change by itself, that seems very odd. When you say this is the second time, how long ago was the first? That might help narrow down what's causing this.

drmikenyc

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2012
Strange happening in Lion Land (screensaver)

I searched on Mac/Screensaver and found this very recent thread. (thanks!)

My Mac/Lion system was getting a bit 'gunked up' and I recently closed a bunch of tabs, restarted, cleared caches etc. Better. BUT now - suddenly, without having done any software updating of the OS, I was shocked as I sat down to do some work that suddenly, the usually dim or dark screen (which had never once been set up to use a screensaver) was displaying an outer space vortex of some kind - a screen saver! Out of the blue, suddenly, after a year + and never, ever, having used a screen saver.

I shut down, restarted, everything looks good, freed-up memory etc., and now it's just gone from dim to dark (as per usual) as I type this on another computer. As if it never happened! Weird? I too wonder: some sort of malware? It's not just my (or your) imagination - something impacted the screensaver function, in my case without even having turned it on, ever.

Weird! Other thoughts? I'm a scientist, but can't think of an easy explanation!

haynechi

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2013
The same thing happened to me twice now. This recent time I noticed it happened after my yahoo email got hacked. I'd really like to know if this is something I should be concerned about. My computer started showing the generic apple logo for no reason when its supposed to go dark.

DenverDave

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2013
Me too

My screen saver has always been a photo slideshow. Today it switched to just the computer name. I went into Preferences/Desktop & Screen Saver, and the only options were "Computer Name" and "Flurry". The rest of the options had disappeared....

What's going on here?

denverrusty

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2015
Screen Saver changes nearly daily from my settings

My screen saver settings are changing nearly daily. They change to the National Geographic animal pictures. I know Macs are less likely to be hacked but this bothers me that this is happening with no explanation of cause. I am hoping someone can get to the bottom of this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.