Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aznn1nja

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2012
It works, depending on the game... OSX 10.8.2 (Mountain Lion)!

Well... after some attempts at connecting it, I got the driver (0.08) to recognize the controller on Mountain Lion! The instructions worked, just reboot after running the AppleScript. I tried 0.11 and 0.09, both of which do NOT work. Only 0.08, before the rearchitecture, works.

The thing is, tattiebogle shows the correct buttons being pressed, but for some reason it reports the wrong ones to Steam Big Picture(which I was using to test it) The triggers show up in intensity, but I have no idea why the vibration starts up - which other people have experienced too... Unfortunately for Steam Big Picture, it mixed up the ABXY buttons and the triggers cause vibrations on the corresponding side instead of actually doing anything.

EDIT:
Actually, I tried running Bastion and believe it or not, the buttons mapped perfectly...! The only drawback is the vibration feedback when pressing LT and RT :( So the functionality must solely depend on the game being played!

EDIT 2:
I somehow managed to eliminate the trigger-vibration glitch by simply installing the ControllerMate demo and just opening it. Magically, the trigger stopped making vibrations and is still fixed after closing ControllerMate! But the buttons are still swapped for Steam Big Picture, the triggers still aren't functional for it, but in Bastion everything works fine. The only thing missing is vibration FEEDBACK. I have no idea how to enable it, but at least it functions for everything else!
I think the controller may only work for Mac apps from the appstore, not installed games/programs from other sources. That's just my guess.

FYI I am using a mid-2012 Air, 13-in base config and the controller is plugged into the USB 3.0 port.

Attachments

• Screen.png
    Screen.png
    98.5 KB · Views: 463
Last edited:

res.nguyen

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2013
Hi Fraaaa,

I followed the steps you outlined to uninstall Tattiebogle but I get the message "permission denied" after I drag the uninstall Tattiebogle file into Terminal. The video on how to uninstall Tattiebogle is no longer available so any help you could provide would be really appreciated!

Decay153

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2013
Hey, thanks for this. It all seems to work so far, but my Installer.app gives the error "The action “Rename Finder Items” encountered an error." Any fixes? :/

randallw

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2011
Worked flawlessly with version 0.08 and the instructions you provided. I'm using the Razer Sabertooth and it now works! Now I can see if I can play some games via OpenEmu!

v1nsai

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2012
I'm getting an error when dragging the controllerlist onto the installer too. I took it apart to see if I could do whatever the installer Automator script is doing but apparently Apple compiles those scripts which is just.....terrific so now I'm trying to figure out what's going wrong.

Here's the output to the Console. Anyone know what /Library/Automator/Office.definition is? Googled it but didn't find what it actually is....

I'm on a 2008 MacbookPro on 10.7.5

Code:
4/11/13 11:31:47.650 PM Application Stub: -[AMApplicationRegistry loadDefinitionAtURL:]: No application name for definition at URL file://localhost/Library/Automator/Office.definition/
4/11/13 11:31:47.650 PM Application Stub: -[AMApplicationRegistry _loadDefinitionsAtURLS:]: Failed to load definition at URL file://localhost/Library/Automator/Office.definition/
4/11/13 11:31:48.552 PM com.apple.launchd: (com.apple.launchd.peruser.32682[2216]) getpwuid("32682") failed
4/11/13 11:31:49.281 PM Application Stub: Performance: Please update this scripting addition to supply a value for ThreadSafe for each event handler: "/Library/ScriptingAdditions/SIMBL.osax"

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
If you are looking for a little simpler instructions or the ones above don't work then you can use the tattie 0.12 drivers and my simple script. You don't need to do any hacking that way :)

The script works great for 99% of people (touch wood).

http://support.feralinteractive.com/files/general/Xbox360DriverExtraPadSupport.command.zip

For Feral games if you need a plugin file check out your FAQ for the pad support email address and we can get you up and running. Currently I have gotten about 30+ 360 pads up and running.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
The Xbox Driver simply doesn't pick up my controller.

I even checked in the system report, and afterglow gamepad for xbox 360 is there.

Any suggestions?

By default the drivers only support the official pads. Your pad can be used on the Mac but requires the use of a third party driver and update script.

Below are some instructions you can follow if you would like try and get your 3rd party device working on the Mac.

1. Install the 0.11 tattiebogle drivers.
http://tattiebogle.net/index.php/ProjectRoot/Xbox360Controller/OsxDriver
2. Download and run the extra pad suppport script.
http://support.feralinteractive.com/files/general/Xbox360DriverExtraPadSupport.command.zip
3. Reboot your mac and plug your gamepad into your Mac
4. Check if the pad is picked up by the drivers. You can do this in system preferences in the "Xbox 360 Controllers" button in the "Other" section of the window.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
This might be a bit off topic, but FYI both amazon & best buy now have the wired Xbox controller for sale at $30 (Normally $40.) I would up picking one up today to use with Rage & other Aspyr games that only support the xbox 360 wired controller.

It's annoying that I have to remove the Tattleboogie driver to allow the xbox 360 controller to be used with Aspyr games, but reinstall it if I want to use the xbox 360 controller in Feral games. My (convoluted) solution is to just use a PS3 controller for the Feral games, and the xbox 360 controller for the Aspyr games.

Hopefully some kind of quick "kill setting" will arrive in the Tattleboogie control panel at some point so in the future it will be easy to just turn the driver on and off as needed by various games. I much prefer the xbox controller.

becauseoftacos

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2013
Western Australia
Still having Trouble!!!

By default the drivers only support the official pads. Your pad can be used on the Mac but requires the use of a third party driver and update script.

Below are some instructions you can follow if you would like try and get your 3rd party device working on the Mac.

1. Install the 0.11 tattiebogle drivers.
http://tattiebogle.net/index.php/ProjectRoot/Xbox360Controller/OsxDriver
2. Download and run the extra pad suppport script.
3. Reboot your mac and plug your gamepad into your Mac
4. Check if the pad is picked up by the drivers. You can do this in system preferences in the "Xbox 360 Controllers" button in the "Other" section of the window.

I have done all of that, but still having trouble with it connecting to tattie.

Here's a picture:

136hnd

EDIT:

Afterglow gamepad name is blue, but tattiebogle is still saying device not found.

Last edited:

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
I have done all of that, but still having trouble with it connecting to tattie.

Here's a picture:

EDIT:

Afterglow gamepad name is blue, but tattiebogle is still saying device not found.

That's a strange tattie bug I have seen a few times, sadly I don't know the cause or a solution. I don't write the drivers so I can't debug them either.

If I happen to find a solution on my travels i'l post one :)

Edwin

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
Wow this is fabulous. I didn't even know you could do this. Working fine with ML. Thanks.

clowns104

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2013
help!

I've been trying all the things recommended for about 4 hours now with no success. I can't see the controller in the system report. the usb port work fine with everything else. What am i doing wrong?

thanks!

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
I've been trying all the things recommended for about 4 hours now with no success. I can't see the controller in the system report. the usb port work fine with everything else. What am i doing wrong?

thanks!

1. What drivers did you install?
2. What game are you trying to play with? (some don't support the 360 pad)
3. What hardware and OS software do you have?

You will get a better level of advice if you outline exactly what you have tried and what you are trying to do.

That said sometimes the installer fails and fixing it afterwards is really tricky.

Edwin

clowns104

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2013
ok, i have to admit that i'm a bit useless with all this and i'm not sure i understood everything i read. but i installed and uninstalled tattlebogle several times trying with different things i found around forums. i tried 0.12, 0.11, 0.08.

i tried twice following what it says in the first post of this thread and the controller doesn't appear in the system report. all the point up to 8 are fine, but i'm stuck at point 8 (from the first post).

i wanted to play some games with a nintento emulator.

I have a macbook pro os x lion 10.7.5.

thank you for the quick answer!!

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
ok, i have to admit that i'm a bit useless with all this and i'm not sure i understood everything i read. but i installed and uninstalled tattlebogle several times trying with different things i found around forums. i tried 0.12, 0.11, 0.08.

i tried twice following what it says in the first post of this thread and the controller doesn't appear in the system report. all the point up to 8 are fine, but i'm stuck at point 8 (from the first post).

i wanted to play some games with a nintento emulator.

I have a macbook pro os x lion 10.7.5.

thank you for the quick answer!!

If the controller does not appear in the USB list then it means the pad is broken. You do not need drivers for it to appear in the USB list.

Just to confirm the pad you are trying to use is a wired USB pad not a wireless one? Also FYI the USB charging cable cannot be used to connect a wireless gamepad. If you have a wireless pad you need to buy the Microsoft PC wireless dongle.

adelewen

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2013
Baffled

So I'm completely baffled as to why this isn't working. I've got a wired 360 controller (the Microsoft one, not a 3rd party). I'm running Mountain Lion, and I've tried the driver from 0.8 to 0.12 with no success. I've ran the script to add the additional drivers as well, but it won't stay connected.

My controller lights up when plugged in with the driver installed. It stays lit up. Tattie even shows, for a brief second, that there is a wired controller plugged in, and then it disappears, though my controller stays on. It's detected by my system, though:

Controller:

Product ID: 0x028e
Vendor ID: 0x045e (Microsoft Corporation)
Version: 1.14
Serial Number: 144718E
Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: ©Microsoft Corporation
Location ID: 0x04100000 / 2
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 500

Really, I'm not sure what else to do. If I unplug the controller with Tattie installed after the controller disappears, it crashes so I have to uninstall just to make sure I can remove the controller without crashing. Any suggestions? I've spent more than three hours tonight and at least that much a few nights ago trying to figure out how to get my controller to stay recognized.

sra4ever

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2013
I have been trying to get this to work several different ways, and truly have no idea what I am doing. My controller is as follows:

MadCatz GamePad:

Product ID: 0xf016
Vendor ID: 0x1bad
Version: 4.90
Serial Number: 02F97878
Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: Mad Catz, Inc.
Location ID: 0x06200000 / 4
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): Unknown (Device has not been configured)

I am running 10.7.5 and version .12, I desperately want to play Mario 64. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.