Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prtcool1193

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Does anyone else seem to have major wifi problems with the beta? My iPhone 5 has wifi turned on, recognizes the network but continuously fails to join. This has happened at numerous locations. I've tried resetting network settings but it still is giving me problems. The interesting thing is that this has only started happening yesterday. Before then it was fine with ios 7

throys

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2011
London
Does anyone else seem to have major wifi problems with the beta? My iPhone 5 has wifi turned on, recognizes the network but continuously fails to join. This has happened at numerous locations. I've tried resetting network settings but it still is giving me problems. The interesting thing is that this has only started happening yesterday. Before then it was fine with ios 7

No problem seen here with home wifi from initial installation of iOS 7

zhandri

Suspended
Sep 4, 2012
no problems! actually i think my wifi performance got better. iphone seems to connect faster to wifi compared to ios 6

jmantn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
Tn
I've seen it take a few seconds to reconnect from sleep. Also if ur in a business or hospital where u join their wifi and it takes u to a safari page to accept terms or put in ur log in info it now incorrectly pulls up podcasts instead of safari.

Really is the biggest pain I'm experiencing but relatively zero issues on home wifi.

eaglesteve

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2009
My experience with iOS7 wifi connection is the reverse of what the OP has.

I have two wifi in my house. With iOS7, changing from one to the other is almost instant whereas with iOS6 it takes a little longer to complete.

ferwindjacks

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2013
Yeah I have the same issue. It only seems like its causing a problem at my home though, as my work wifi works fine. I tried switching my specific frequency on my router to "automatic" but that still hasnt fixed it. It wont even find the network most of the time, and when it does connect, drops within a minute. Yes, I am on an actual dev account, my OS is not pirated.

If you find a fix, please tell me.

-fer

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009

Mine is pretty spotty.

My phone has issues staying connected to the Wi-Fi network in my office (which is far pretty far from the router). Never had the issues on iOS 6 though.

Not concerned though, it'll be fixed by launch. (I hope...)

prtcool1193

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Mine is pretty spotty.

My phone has issues staying connected to the Wi-Fi network in my office (which is far pretty far from the router). Never had the issues on iOS 6 though.

Not concerned though, it'll be fixed by launch. (I hope...)

So i tried restoring back to ios 6 and then putting ios 7 back on and im still having the problem :/

jrodsep

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
no problems! actually i think my wifi performance got better. iphone seems to connect faster to wifi compared to ios 6

This. I had huge problems with wifi in 6.1 but wifi performance has been improved vastly since using 7.0 and then reverting back to 6.1.4. Tried a couple of appstore downloads and they have been quite fast.

Syndicate0017

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2013
Pretty sure this same thing happened to me on iOS 6.1.1. Whenever I would try to connect to my home wifi, it would just say "failed to join". A few times I got it to connect, but once the device locked, it would instantly forget my pass phrase and I'd have to re-enter it (and yes I had ask to join networks disabled).

Tried upgrading my router firmware, restoring my router to factory defaults, and I even tried restoring my iPhone with no luck. Always the same error.

In order to connect to my home WiFi and stay connected, I had to enter my SSID and password as an "other" wifi network. Fixed the issue immediately.

TG1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
On my iPhone 5 I've noticed that wifi will occasionally drop out, even when actively using my phone, and the symbol moves to LTE. This happens for a few seconds and then wifi will reconnect. Also, sometimes I'll have a hard time connecting to wifi at all. A reset of the phone corrects this. Never saw this on iOS 6.

sonicdissent

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
I am having some trouble when relatively far from the router where I didn't before. My guess is that 6 always preferred wifi no matter the strength so long as it was present, but 7 will switch to cellular if it is stronger. I hope it's either a bug or at least a choice in the final version, because I don't want to use that data.

toffa813

macrumors regular
May 10, 2007
ATX
I have the same issue. It knows my home and office networks, but I never get the wifi icon, and when I try to play iTunes radio, it always asks if I want to use cellular data (proving its not just an icon thing).

The only other issues I have is Reminders doesn't work at all, and when it tried to update the Facebook and Kindle apps, it shows that its waiting and I get the status bar for the update. Can still launch either through App store or multitasking (although whether or not that's the newer version I have no idea)

Frustrating stuff but not a deal breaker for me. Just hope it gets better (on Monday?!?)

iPhonePlaya

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2007
I'm probably about to downgrade back to iOS 6 because of the wifi issue I'm having. My phone basically just doesn't use my home wifi anymore since installing iOS 7. When I try loading something it switches back and forth between wifi and LTE and is very slow, it's rather annoying and battery consuming.

Rift

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2013
No, there's nothing changed. It's not just a bit faster, more stable or something like that... Too sad.
Does Apple know about the wifi problems? I don't think so because nothing was changed now and in the notes I can't find something related to these wifi problems.

Rift

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2013
On which iPhone 5 wifi works perfect, on which it looses connections, on which you can't connect and what router do you have?
Have a netgear WR841N and lose connection after ~1-2 minutes.

How much users still have this problem? Maybe it's a hardware defect?

Sir Spiff

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2013
I detect that being within a range of 5 meters of the WiFi router, I have access to the Wifi nettwork. By moving further 2-3 meters, the signals from the WiFi router remains for a few secound, with "full throtle" and then the phone changes to LTE, resulting in lost connection to the WiFi router. It seems to me that since the LTE signals are stronger (or just represented), the iOS 7 automatically swap to the LTE... If I walk towards the router again, the iOS switches back to WiFi. WHY, and is there any settings in iOS 7 that forces the phone to remain connected to the WiFi nettwork as long as there are signals represented?
I've searched the net for answers the three last days, and cant find anytihing that solve this issue.
I've tried everything from turning off cellular data, in a desperate try to force the phone to remains in "WiFi" state, without any luck.. I also tried to reset the nettwork settings etc, without any further results..

Everything works fine with iOS 6.1.4....

Help.... Someone...?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.