Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pembell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
Hi Folks,
Thought I'd post this in case anyone else had a similar problem.

I have a mac mini 2011, 8GB, 2GHz Intel Core i7, Intel HD Graphics 3000 512MB, OSX 10.8.4

In a fit of nostalgia I downloaded the old Unreal, Quake, Quake 3 and Doom 3 to see how they'd do on my mini. I keep the mini attached to our tv - we're in Saudi Arabia, so we stream tv through it from elsewhere...

Anyway, got Quake working ok, but Unreal and Quake 3 had some really odd behaviours - essentially mouse related - sudden shifts in viewing direction, or a kind of 'lock out' in Quake 3, where you could strafe, or mouse look, but not both at the same time. Very helpful!

I put this down to the games being PC versions I was trying to make work on a Mac. That was until I downloaded Doom 3 from the Mac App Store.

First problem - no CD key - Aspyr helped out immediately and sent one. But then a really weird situation arose. The Doom 3 menu page would spawn, the mouse would track across it and highlight the menu options, but clicks were not recognised.

After much really great help from Aspyr we couldn't figure it out, until I spotted that someone was having a problem with SmoothMouseDaemon elsewhere on this forum. I ran a Console on starting Doom 3 and saw the following line:

19/06/2013 23:32:25.719 SmoothMouseDaemon[354]: WARNING: Tampering detected or coalescing enabled (-3 != -2, 1 != 1)

So, I brought up Activity Monitor, Force Quit SmoothMouseDaemon and, Shazam Kabar, fixed!

Doom 3 now runs perfectly, as do Unreal and Quake 3. Well, I've still got a menu issue with Unreal, but it is 15 years old....

Hope this might help someone else and I hope SmoothMouseDaemon gets fixed....

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
What are your specs, and what version of Unreal and how are you running it? I might be able to help, if I have a computer that can't play the original UT I consider it a lemon ;)

Pembell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
What are your specs, and what version of Unreal and how are you running it? I might be able to help, if I have a computer that can't play the original UT I consider it a lemon ;)

Hi,
I have Unreal Gold from GOG, and use Wine to run it with X11.

When I click the Preferences button under Options, I get this Critical Error:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.