Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jack Tripper

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2011
My iPad 2 keeps dropping my home wifi connection, usually after 5-10 minutes. For example, when surfing with Safari, all of a sudden the connection hangs up and web sites don't respond. I have not had any problems with other devices on my network.

When the iPad drops connection, other devices on the network also lose their connection. The only way I've found to restore the connection is to power cycle the router, after which the iPad will again drop after 10 minutes. Web browsers say "no DNS server found," presumably referring to the router connection. There have been no issues before the iPad.

Has anyone else encountered this issue? I have updated firmware on my router and 4.3.3 iOS.

Last edited:

davidjahson34

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2011
iPad information is not hard to find, unless you have been on another planet, you must have heard about the revolutionary iPad. With the release of the iPad 2 scheduled for late spring, this article will get you caught up to speed on everything that you have been missing.

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2006
iPad information is not hard to find, unless you have been on another planet, you must have heard about the revolutionary iPad. With the release of the iPad 2 scheduled for late spring, this article will get you caught up to speed on everything that you have been missing.

Huh?

My iPad 2 keeps dropping my home wifi connection, usually after 5-10 minutes. For example, when surfing with Safari, all of a sudden the connection hangs up and web sites don't respond. I have not had any problems with other devices on my network.

When the iPad drops connection, other devices on the network also lose their connection. The only way I've found to restore the connection is to power cycle the router, after which the iPad will again drop after 10 minutes. Web browsers say "no DNS server found," presumably referring to the router connection. There have been no issues before the iPad.

Has anyone else encountered this issue? I have updated firmware on my router and 4.3.3 iOS.

I am confused, you contradict yourself. You say it's only the iPad that is affected, but you also say all network devices lose the connection. It sounds like a router or ISP problem.

Jack Tripper

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2011
I am confused, you contradict yourself. You say it's only the iPad that is affected, but you also say all network devices lose the connection. It sounds like a router or ISP problem.

Sorry for the confusion. Let me clarify.

Before I got the iPad, my network and devices were fine. Using the iPad, the connection will drop; the connection would also be down for other devices. The iPad is the only cause, but all devices are affected.

smpratt02030

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2011
not a router or ISP problem

I'm having the same problem if anything more acutely than the original post. It's only affecting my iPad. All of the other devices on my network remain connected. My fix has been to turn off and turn on the wifi connection in my ipad's settings, but I sometimes have to do this 10 times an hour, so it's gets old fast. What's weird is that I'm not getting these drops on other wifi networks (e.g., Starbucks), only with my home network. I've gone into my router settings to see if there's something that would be blocking the ipad, but I'm not seeing anything. Anyone with a clue would be most welcome!

Sanveann

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2009
Michigan
I can't speak to the iPad (just got mine last week), but a few months ago my Kindle had an awful time with dropping the wifi connection, and our laptop occasionally would too. We ended up having to get a new modem because of some changes Comcast made, and have never had a repeat of the issue since. Not an easy or inexpensive solution, I know, but maybe if your modem is getting older you could consider it.

darkside flow

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
Toronto
OP: How old is your router? Try your ipad on a different network (friend, work, etc.) and see if the same behaviour occurs. It's almost certainly a router or network settings option if it's not happening on other networks. Otherwise, take it in for a replacement.

Miss Minerva

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2011
iPad Drops WiFi Connection

Coincidentally, I had this happen to me yesterday; all other computers and devices were connected to my network, but the ipad couldn't connect...

I googled the issue- found stuff going back quite a ways- and one of the "fixes" I found was to turn off the autofill option in Safari (in settings). I tried this first as it was so easy, and it worked for me. It's worth a try- maybe it'll work for you.

AceCoolie

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009
If your iPad is taking down the network for all other devices, maybe you have an IP address conflict?

I had issues with my iPad 1. It would drop off my 802.11g network but liked my 802.11b. This didn't affect other devices though.

brayhite

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
N. Kentucky
I find that whenever I lay in bed and rest the bottom of the iPad on my stomach or chest, it loses wifi signal. Something similar to the attenuation your finger would have on the iPhone 4's outer band. I generally have to hold it up or just deal with a slow connection (which sucks when playing Fleck and fighting zombies on the iPad).

So it may just be the way you're holding it. No Steve Jobs joke intended at all.

BillyRadd

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2013
I'm having the same problem if anything more acutely than the original post. It's only affecting my iPad. All of the other devices on my network remain connected. My fix has been to turn off and turn on the wifi connection in my ipad's settings, but I sometimes have to do this 10 times an hour, so it's gets old fast. What's weird is that I'm not getting these drops on other wifi networks (e.g., Starbucks), only with my home network. I've gone into my router settings to see if there's something that would be blocking the ipad, but I'm not seeing anything. Anyone with a clue would be most welcome!
I'm having this exact same problem but can't find an answer. If anyone has heard of a solution to this problem, I would be very thankful for some help.

My router is a SMCWBR14S-N4 that keeps dropping the connection for my iPad2 only. Like in the quote, the iPad2 only has this problem here at home and never looses connection at any other locations. I'm a subscriber of (Time Warner Cable).

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
I'm having this exact same problem but can't find an answer. If anyone has heard of a solution to this problem, I would be very thankful for some help.

My router is a SMCWBR14S-N4 that keeps dropping the connection for my iPad2 only. Like in the quote, the iPad2 only has this problem here at home and never looses connection at any other locations. I'm a subscriber of (Time Warner Cable).

Try forgetting your network, then in the "other" section, adding it, your password, and instructing it to "renew lease."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.