Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Gizmodo reports on a growing number of complaints from owners of Apple's newly updated MacBook Air regarding Wi-Fi performance issues. The issues are being documented in Apple's support forums and a few users in our own forums have also seen similar problems.
The problems they're seeing sound eerily similar to those we're experiencing with our machines: Wi-Fi will initially connect, but after a minute or two the connection will stop working, and a total reboot is needed to be able to connect again. [...]

An anonymous source at one of Apple's retail stores in London has also told me they've had "well above average" complaints and returns (in a few cases) of Airs owing to Wi-Fi issues.
It is not uncommon for users to raise issues following the launch of new hardware as they put machines through their paces and discover differences in their behavior. Some of these issues are more significant and widespread than others, however, and Apple generally addresses many of the most significant ones with subsequent software or firmware updates.

macbook_air_2013_wi_fi.jpg
Apple's new MacBook Air adopts the latest 802.11ac Wi-Fi standard, offering faster connectivity and bandwidth. Apple's new AirPort Extreme base stations also offer better signal strength by taking advantage of beamforming to focus their Wi-Fi signals toward connected 802.11ac devices such as the new MacBook Air.

Article Link: New MacBook Air Owners Complaining of Wi-Fi Issues

runeapple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010
Lets face it doesn't every Apple product have wifi issues at least once in it's life - it is usually a software issue - an update recently which came out fixing wifi problems actually caused wifi problems on my rMBP :/ I didn't have any beforehand!

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
this is not new, my old (last years) has the same issue. you don't need to turn it off, you just need to go into your router settings and change the channel from auto to a free channel. read up about it, is been happening since 2010

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Good thing I'm FORCED to wait for a few months to get mine lol.....

By the time Mavericks is released, all this stuff will be ironed out

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Good thing I'm FORCED to wait for a few months to get mine lol.....

By the time Mavericks is released, all this stuff will be ironed out

dont count on it, this problem has been around for a few years now and its still not fixed

karpich1

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2007
Sigh

I recall my second MacBook Pro... it was my first Intel Mac.

It was great... except one major bug. It suffered the "First keystroke not working" bug. In other words, if you hadn't typed for a few seconds and clicked into somewhere and started typing. That first keypress wouldn't go through.

Not so bad when writing an email... you notice the mistake and correct the word.

But it was EVIL when typing in a password since the password would be masked.

It also sucked when programming, where a mistype might not fail the syntax parser and you're wondering why your results aren't coming up correctly.

It took them a COUPLE OF YEARS to fix that bug via a firmware update.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
dont count on it, this problem has been around for a few years now and its still not fixed

Huh - I suppose I have enough "wifi" issues with my service, router and modem that any problems with the devices themselves kind of go unnoticed.

Haven't had a macbook in years so perhaps I've missed these issues, but with them or not, I'm excited to own one of the new MBAs.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
this is not new, my old (last years) has the same issue. you don't need to turn it off, you just need to go into your router settings and change the channel from auto to a free channel. read up about it, is been happening since 2010

Are you implying that Apple was unable to solve this problem since 2010? Are they busy or something?

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
Of course Gizmodo reports this. They're still butthurt

Of course they're still butt hurt but then again why Macrumors re-post this crap God only knows because like anything it will take five minutes of investigation to find that there are corner cases where there are issues that need address via an update hence 10.8.5 is in testing as we speak. So when are we going to see Gizmodo cover the frequent locking up of Nokia Lumia devices? the high amount of crapware loaded onto Lenovo, Dell and HP laptops/desktops? the lack of timely Android updates where in June 2013 the Samsung Galaxy S3 still hasn't received Android 4.2 yet?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.