Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple and TBWA Media Arts Lab have won a Grand Prix for Press award at the Cannes Lion International Festival of Creativity, one of the most prestigious awards in advertising.

The award is for the iPad mini campaign where Apple put actual covers of magazines on a life-size mockup of the mini to show how magazines could be read on the device. The ads ran on the back of the magazine from which they took their cover. A number of publications received the treatment.

ipadminitime.jpg
AdAge reports that Apple won largely because, according to category judge Marcello Serpa, "we were looking at a piece that makes print, the category itself, a hero."
Apple's iPad Mini campaign by TBWA Media Arts Lab won the Grand Prix in press, a category that the tablet once seemed designed to kill but now is offering what jury president Marcello Serpa described as redemption by enabling readership of print products.

[...]

Why it won: "It has a kind of guerrilla feeling," Mr. Serpa said. "It's a product that goes inside the media and says I'm going to kill you, [then] I'm going to save you. Let's embrace. It's redemption."

Article Link: Apple Wins Prestigious Advertising Award for iPad Mini Magazine Campaign

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Basically all they did was put the image of the cover in the iPad mini?

Haven't you ever watched Mad Men? Smart people spend a lot of time and effort coming up with stuff like this! There was probably a lot of conflict and drama along the way, too. ;)

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
I agree it's a great ad. Now we need google to have the same quality of advertising. And not the sub par stuff they have now.

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
"It has a kind of guerrilla feeling," Mr. Serpa said. "It's a product that goes inside the media and says I'm going to kill you, [then] I'm going to save you. Let's embrace. It's redemption."

What a load or pseudo intellectualist bullshine.
Break it down in to sections. Means nothing. The Plain English Campaign would have a field day with that waffle.

Pretentious cak!

Thanks

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Why it won: "It has a kind of guerrilla feeling," Mr. Serpa said. "It's a product that goes inside the media and says I'm going to kill you, [then] I'm going to save you. Let's embrace. It's redemption."

Wow, never thought of like that, smart guy.
To me. I only saw the ipad mini on the back, and it kinda says "you can also read me on ipad mini" :p

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
"It has a kind of guerrilla feeling," Mr. Serpa said. "It's a product that goes inside the media and says I'm going to kill you, [then] I'm going to save you. Let's embrace. It's redemption."

Break it down in to sections. Means nothing. The Plain English Campaign would have a field day with that waffle.

Pretentious cak!

Thanks

Agreed. "It's redemption"? Please.

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
Basically all they did was put the image of the cover in the iPad mini?

I guess their less is more approach actually worked.

Basically all anyone does is just something, right?

Basically Apple just makes awesome devices.

Basically those guys in space suits just landed on the moon.

SgtPepper12

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2011
Germany

Pretentious cak!

Thanks
Sorry, but it makes perfect sense, and I don't see the pretentiousness at all. It's just how some people see things.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
And you base this on what? Armchair quarterbacking?
No need to be snide. Advertisers target people like you and I. And believe it or not, we know what works and what does not work. Cause we buy or don't buy products based on advertising. I and a lot of people I know look at google advertising and it makes us even less interested in what is being advertised.

Apple get it. Advertising in a way is art. People should be drawn to the advertisement itself as much as the product being adverted. I've seen a lot of good stuff done through google ads. But they way in which they advertise it is a big turn off.

So your comment is not really needed. We all get it if we think about it for a second.

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008

Pretentious cak!

Thanks

From a semiotic standpoint (going beyond a purely traditional Sausserian definition of semiology, of course), the ad is brilliant: it deconstructs the opposition between print and a skeumorphic reinterpretation of print, and then reassembles them into synergistic Other that is simultaneously foreign and familiar, at least to Western sensibilities. To merely call it Postmodern is to diminish the non-ironic reference to Neoplatonism that has always been central to Apple's modus operandi (e.g., "It's magical!"). Only the imbecilic and the ignorant, having seen this ad, would claim that Apple no longer innovates.

Adokimus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2007
Boston, MA

I understand the point you're trying to make, but equating landing on the moon to a clever idea for a magazine print ad is a bit of a stretch.

thenewperson

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011

This and the "aside from everything that's changed X is the same as X-1 before it" mentality of quite a lot of geeks can be amusing.

thisisdallas

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
Cupertino, CA
No need to be snide. Advertisers target people like you and I. And believe it or not, we know what works and what does not work. Cause we buy or don't buy products based on advertising. I and a lot of people I know look at google advertising and it makes us even less interested in what is being advertised.

Apple get it. Advertising in a way is art. People should be drawn to the advertisement itself as much as the product being adverted. I've seen a lot of good stuff done through google ads. But they way in which they advertise it is a big turn off.

So your comment is not really needed. We all get it if we think about it for a second.

I wouldn't say Google ads are bad, but they don't inform me of a product or make me any more interested in buying/using it. They focus too much on making their ads into cute little videos that make you feel warm and fuzzy.

They're fun to watch and grab your attention, but don't actually do anything in the way of even showing a product aside from maybe a transparent Google+ logo on a laptop screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.