Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As it has in prior years, Apple is offering free summer camps for kids 8-12 at its retail stores, this year focusing on filmmaking with iMovie. The classes span three days, 90 minutes per day, with an introduction to the basics of movie making, GarageBand on the iPad, iMovie on the Mac, and then a film festival on the third day to screen movies for family and friends. The screenings are optional.

Apple also provides an optional, one-hour Parents Workshop on the first day that teaches parents how to set up parental controls on Apple devices.

applecamp.jpg
At Apple Camp, kids ages 8-12 learn how to shoot their own footage, create an original song in GarageBand on an iPad, and put it all together in iMovie on a Mac. This free workshop, held at Apple Retail Stores, spans three days and ends with campers debuting their masterpieces at the Apple Camp Film Festival. Space is limited and workshops fill up quickly, so sign up now for a super-creative adventure.
The first groups begin in mid-July, running through early-August. Some stores are already filling slots, but others have wide-open availability.

Interested parents can register for sessions on Apple's website for U.S. and Canadian stores, while parents in Australia, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Italy, Japan, The Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, can register to be notified when registration opens in their countries.

Article Link: Apple Retail Announces 2013 Summer Filmmaking Camps for Kids

Last edited:

bommai

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2003
Melbourne, FL
I wish there is an Apple Store close by!

The closest Apple Store to Melbourne, Florida (where I live) is in Orlando (1 hour drive), and they have two stores within a 10 minute drive! Yikes.

AppleVsAndroid

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2012
Poor AAPL!

NO matter what you do, Stock is still going lower :D

Get some interesting news like Steve Jobs is coming back................................ by 3D printing :p

MarkHarrisonUK

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2009
... United Kingdom can register to be notified when registration opens in their countries. ....

Thank you for posting this.

This UK father, for one, has just registered to be notified, since my 11-year old girl and 8-year old boy would love this.

And, yes, I have to drive an hour to my local Apple store (UK - Bluewater) - just hope they choose to run it at that venue :)

mbarriault

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2008
The closest Apple Store to Melbourne, Florida (where I live) is in Orlando (1 hour drive), and they have two stores within a 10 minute drive! Yikes.

The closest Apple Store to St. John's, Newfoundland (where I live) is in Halifax (20 hour drive including 9 hour ferry), next one is Quebec City (10 hours further), and after that there are four in Montreal (2.5 hours).

TL;DR Man up.

WMD

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
Florida, USA
I wish I was a kid again

Yeah, when a computer movie made in ~3 hours was cool. :D

But seriously though, when I think of "summer camp," it's something that lasts all day (so parents can leave their kids somewhere). This doesn't seem to fit the bill.

jdiamond

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2008
Wow! Our local Apple store sold out in under 2 hours!

Without this post, I'd've never known about it, but even with this post, I was just able to secure the last possible wait list spot at my local Apple store! Just 2 hours after this article posted.

Is there a specific time this is announced each year? Is it always June 20th?
Thanks for any info. There was little on the website.

duskyyouth

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
not great

I took my kid to this last summer. Two days of standing around waiting for the apple employees to figure out why things weren't working. Importing simple video files on to their iPads took them most of the session time to figure out. I ended up going home, importing the footage, helping him edit it for the "film festival" on the weekend no thanks to the apple people. It was a total letdown.

Hopefully, those of you going will have a better experience.

mikeheenan

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2007
Smart forward thinking marketing by Apple; get their future customers interested in the products while they're young.

DaveNinja

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2005
The sign ups started yesterday. I signed two of my kids up for it. In previous years it had filled up before i had a chance.

clamnectar

macrumors regular
May 7, 2009
Yeah, in two 90 minute sessions I'm sure kids are going to learn how to make something truly magical :rolleyes:

chumpy34

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2010
I was in my local Apple store last month and a school had taken a field trip there with about 50 10 year-olds and they were being taught how to shoot/edit videos with iPads. It was hilarious to watch as you had kids falling onto the ground (action scenes), others coming up and filming you and then getting embarrassed and walking away, customers unknowingly making acting debuts in these kids films, etc. I have never seen so many smiles on everyone's faces ... was a riot to watch:)

P.S. It must be true that Apple stores pretty much allow anything and everything as the other day there was this guy with headphones plugged into a iPod Touch performing full dance moves in the corner of the store, people were gawking and staring and the Apple employees just acted like it was no big deal. Got to hand to them...

ChgoMike

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2010
Which store was this?

I'm curious, duskyyouth, in which store did you have this bad experience?

I took my kid to this last summer. Two days of standing around waiting for the apple employees to figure out why things weren't working. Importing simple video files on to their iPads took them most of the session time to figure out. I ended up going home, importing the footage, helping him edit it for the "film festival" on the weekend no thanks to the apple people. It was a total letdown.

Hopefully, those of you going will have a better experience.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah, when a computer movie made in ~3 hours was cool. :D

But seriously though, when I think of "summer camp," it's something that lasts all day (so parents can leave their kids somewhere). This doesn't seem to fit the bill.

Nope. Can't leave them for five minutes. At least not in the US where Apple Stores don't agree to act in loco parentis due to liability issues.

kenaustus

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2003
Missed out last year, but managed to get two grandkids enrolled this year.

I don't expect miracles, but I believe that the kids will have fun, learn a bit and, in the end, drive their parents nuts. WHich is what grandparents are for.

scott911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2009
keep reviews from last year's camps coming
- bit of a drive for me, so on the fense as the whether to take kids... thanks

nostaws

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2006
The sign ups started yesterday. I signed two of my kids up for it. In previous years it had filled up before i had a chance.

Wow. I signed up to get the notification from apple when it was available. I didn't get an email. I learned about it on macrumors. 9 of 12 sessions were full this morning when I signed up.

It isn't the most sophisticated of filmmaking workshops, but it gets the kids out of the house and doing something fun. If nothing else, last year the kids got a t-shirt and a flash drive bracelet.

They expect you do do all your filming at home on your idevice (or other camera). In the store it is just planning, and editing.

I actually thought day 3 - watching the "films" was the most painful. 10 minutes of some other person's kid jumping on a trampoline, or 5 minutes of some other kid's dog wandering around the house. Total disregard for the 2 minute long max.

dmax35

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2012
Two 90 minute FREE sessions. Geesh, lets call Apple and tell them not to bother since clamnectar doesn't approve.

Exactly...No matter what Apple does there is always some stupid critic who complains over a FREE class. Unbelievable!!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.