Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Nomad Lightning Cable is an Apple certified 3-inch Lightning to USB cable that originated on Kickstarter last November. After accepting preorders in April, the team behind the Nomad has caught up on backorders and is now able to fill and ship orders on a daily basis.

As the Nomad is just three inches in length and comes equipped with a keyring adapter, it is one of the most portable Lightning cables on the market. In comparison, Apple's smallest Lightning cable is 0.5m or over 19 inches long.

nomad.jpg
A 3" Apple certified lightning USB cable for your key ring. Sync/Charge capability. The Nomad cable is perfect for use at work, in the car,at home, or anywhere on the go - it's there when you need it!
The Nomad Lightning Cable is officially licensed from Apple and part of the MFi (Made for iPhone) program. It can be purchased for $24.99.

Article Link: Nomad 3-Inch Apple Certified Lightning Cable Now Shipping

DarkWinter

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2012
So the official 0.5m cable is $19 and this 3"(!!!) variant is $24.99...

I don't understand... :S

Tyler.Schmaltz

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2004
Velva
Amazon sells a 4 in amazon basic lighting cable for $12.99. Has 1200 reviews with 4.5 star rating. Not sure if it is apple certified or not but a much better deal if you don't need the key ring thing.

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Seeing the picture I thought this would be a great little accessory for 5-10 dollars, but $25? Not a chance.

RealSkyDiver

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Amazon sells a 4 in amazon basic lighting cable for $12.99. Has 1200 reviews with 4.5 star rating. Not sure if it is apple certified or not but a much better deal if you don't need the key ring thing.

Yes, it's the real thing at half the price and black looks cooler anyway.

marvin4653

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2012
So the official 0.5m cable is $19 and this 3"(!!!) variant is $24.99...

I don't understand... :S

So you're getting a fraction of the cable at even higher of a price? What's wrong here?

get the Monoprice 4 in one, and theirs is official, for half the price.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...10831&cs_id=1083101&p_id=10557&seq=1&format=2
None of you can conceive of a consumer being willing to pay an additional $5-10 for a cable that can be carried on a keychain? That sounds like a pretty reasonable premium to pay for someone interested in that functionality.

Why even have that part in the middle?
Just merge the two ends together and charge $50.

D.
Now that I'd like to know as well. Maybe because it would put too much stress on the USB port of a computer and the Lightning port on the device if the connector didn't have a bit of cable to allow the device to sit flat on a surface next to a charging computer?

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY

Even that is expensive considering the longer cable is around the same price. $5 is reasonable for a 4" or shorter cable.

superman23

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2011
the length of it has practically no effect on the cost to manufacture it. assembly labor is the same. connectors are the same. Apple's share is the same. business overhead is the same.

Zealous

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2010
Charleston, IL
...seriously?

Wow! This looks awesome!

I can't wait until they make a longer one that I can wear around my wrist! It'd have to be pretty long though.. like 19 inches or so.. so I can wrap it around a few times - I wouldn't want to lose my new fashion accessory after all! :D

:sarcasm: -.-

macse30

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2009
OK, one more time kids. If you would rather have the mini-cable than have $25 in your pocket, then do a trade with the seller. If you would rather have $25 in your pocket, then move on. We call it the market. It's not your mommy.

/sorry for the rant, time for my milk and cookies.

Berserker-UK

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2012
Berkshire, UK
They clearly think there's a market for it at that price point, or they wouldn't be selling it. If that market isn't you, then fine, spend the $25 on something else.

No sense in wasting time complaining on internet forums about something you're not going to buy anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.